IGNORED

Bruno Fernandez

14 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Bruno Fernandez is a shocking waste of talent with a vacuum where his moral fibre should be. The fact that he feels the need to go down like that against a team two divisions below them, sums him up. The fact that Man United have a player like that as a captain, sums them up as a club. 

Well, it is Oscar season, and he's up for Best Actor.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

He instigates the contact, next you will be telling us, "he felt contact and had a right to go down" He should have been carded not rewarded.

Alex Scott is an expert at this and we loved it when he did it. "Winning fouls" is an art, getting your body in the way and taking the contact.

On the Fernandes one, contact does look slight, but the defender's dived in. It's terrible defending. I'd say knowing what he's like as a player too he's probably made a meal of it and it hasn't been enough to trip him.

Another thing to add, is how bloody often when there IS clear contact and Refs dont give it if you try to stay up or are put off balance and have a shit shot from it - may as well go down then? They have to make a decision then.

Diving will always be the toughest thing to clamp down on because it's near on impossible to tell from a replay how much contact it takes to bring someone down. Look at the Jota one, every adament he's dived and there's little to no contact - but the keeper comes out and says yes it's a pen. He's the only other person who knows how much contact was made and he even he agrees.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

14 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Alex Scott is an expert at this and we loved it when he did it. "Winning fouls" is an art, getting your body in the way and taking the contact.

On the Fernandes one, contact does look slight, but the defender's dived in. It's terrible defending. I'd say knowing what he's like as a player too he's probably made a meal of it and it hasn't been enough to trip him.

Another thing to add, is how bloody often when there IS clear contact and Refs dont give it if you try to stay up or are put off balance and have a shit shot from it - may as well go down then? They have to make a decision then.

Diving will always be the toughest thing to clamp down on because it's near on impossible to tell from a replay how much contact it takes to bring someone down. Look at the Jota one, every adament he's dived and there's little to no contact - but the keeper comes out and says yes it's a pen. He's the only other person who knows how much contact was made and he even he agrees.

Alex Scott exactly. I can't remember too many on here calling him out for being a cheat, only a clever player.

43 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Alex Scott exactly. I can't remember too many on here calling him out for being a cheat, only a clever player.

There's a fine line between drawing a foul and cheating.

Scott absolutely crossed that line at times, Fernandes usually stays about 5 foot past it at all times.

A run going between 2 players knowing they're likely to sandwich you is smart play and "winning a freekick".

Doing the same thing but sticking one of you own legs out to force the contact to happen is cheating.

1 hour ago, AppyDAZE said:

I think a lot of the negativity towards Fernandes is that hes a rat faced whiney ***.

Apart from that just like Scott 😁

21 hours ago, BCFC1512 said:

Sorry but I disagree, if that’s a city player we’re all screaming pen!! it’s a penalty 

If Conway was in a position where he could score and went down (which he has done twice this season) - I was and will be very annoyed with him, irrespective of if a penalty was given or not.

1 hour ago, Rob k said:

It’s a Penalty all day long in the modern game. 

It shouldnt be - which is the problem.

9 hours ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

Personally, I believe that Fernandez is the root of the problems that ManU has on their playing side. He has a lousy attitude which, as captain, must percolate throughout the playing staff, on top of which, he’s really not that good - certainly not a world class player. Until they get rid of him, United will continue to underperform so I hope that he has a very long career there!

Fernandes may have a poor mentality but to call him not that good is completely insane. Manchester United has been a graveyard for talent since Fergie left. Fernandes output, especially until Ten Haag joined was quite incredible. This season he's fallen off but he is a fantastic footballer, just happens to also be a massive knob.

37 minutes ago, Chairman Mao said:

Fernandes may have a poor mentality but to call him not that good is completely insane. Manchester United has been a graveyard for talent since Fergie left. Fernandes output, especially until Ten Haag joined was quite incredible. This season he's fallen off but he is a fantastic footballer, just happens to also be a massive knob.

We appear to have completely different definitions of what constitutes a “fantastic footballer”. I would never attribute that epithet to Fernandez although we’re on precisely the same page when you describe him as a “massive knob”. 

• Like 1

For those who may have joined this thread without see this,,,,sums up the current situation perfectly in my view.

The trouble is the people in power have done nothing about diving, feigning injury, being completely pathetic with no backbone to clamp down on it. Then we have ex professionals who are pundits saying exactly what you have stated "he felt contact and had the right to go down", or we hear them say quite happily that "he's done well to have won that free kick/penalty", because it is part of the game now.

When the likes of Drogba, Ronaldo (and many others) started going down like being shot, or any player rolling around clutching their face after minimal or no contact and a replay showed they instigated it, or were not even touched, then retrospective punishment should have came in and all should have been given a 3 game ban. Do it again and it doubles to 6. The likes of Fergie, Mourinho wouldn't have players doing that if that was their punishment, and the smaller clubs couldn't afford players to get banned for it. It may not have been perfect but it would have stopped it getting to where it's at now.

What's happened to all the grabbing at corners will be a penalty, swearing at the ref would be an instant card, respect campaign, walking off at nearest point for a sub, etc etc etc. The people running the game are just pathetic and will not stand up to anyone near the top of the Prem, then the double standards will come in for a lower club/player and they are happy to do what they want then when it comes to punishment.

Perhaps a manager signalling to the match official that they believed their player had dived and it wasn't a penalty would work but there would have to be pigs flying over at the same time! Some players have earned a reputation for conning the referee and indeed some referees appear willing to be conned. For those of you who are or have been involved in a playing/training/managing capacity what limits are drawn over which no player should go beyond to win a game (apart from not putting another player in physical danger)?

2 minutes ago, Midred said:

Perhaps a manager signalling to the match official that they believed their player had dived and it wasn't a penalty would work but there would have to be pigs flying over at the same time! Some players have earned a reputation for conning the referee and indeed some referees appear willing to be conned. For those of you who are or have been involved in a playing/training/managing capacity what limits are drawn over which no player should go beyond to win a game (apart from not putting another player in physical danger)?

I posted this video clip on another thread recently, discussing what constitutes dangerous play ( Calvert-Lewin's  red card v Palace).

What this also shows is the difference in players' mentality between the 60s/70s and today.

Despite the almost brutal physicality on display in the Chelsea vLeeds match, what is noticeable is that the player that had been tackled ( assaulted would be a more apt description in most cases!) was pretty well straight up on their feet, although this was often to give some back to the opponent.

Compare that to today, when even the most innocuous challenges ( and saying challenge  is often stretching a point!) results in the player collapsing in a heap, clutching ankle/knee/face in order to force the referee to stop the game and award a free kick. As we all know, this particularly prevalent in and around the penalty area when the attacking team concedes possession and one of their players is "injured' in just such a way, conveniently forcing play to be halted, which then prevents the opponents creating a quick breakaway. 

I remember seeing one game where exactly this happened, and the attacking player was writhing around in agony, but miraculously made a full recovery when his team regained possession and was back on the attack! 

Rulemakers increasing inclination to make prescriptive laws/rules hasn't helped. The direction that referees should stop a game for head injuries has seen players go down in the box clutching their heads as though they've had a lobotomy - this is especially noticeable with ariel challenges - knowing that the referee is forced to stop the game and thereby halt the opponents momentum.

I honestly believe that referees are naive in this respect, and that this could well be because they've not played the game at any decent level so don't know and understand how players think.  

2 hours ago, downendcity said:

I posted this video clip on another thread recently, discussing what constitutes dangerous play ( Calvert-Lewin's  red card v Palace).

What this also shows is the difference in players' mentality between the 60s/70s and today.

Despite the almost brutal physicality on display in the Chelsea vLeeds match, what is noticeable is that the player that had been tackled ( assaulted would be a more apt description in most cases!) was pretty well straight up on their feet, although this was often to give some back to the opponent.

Compare that to today, when even the most innocuous challenges ( and saying challenge  is often stretching a point!) results in the player collapsing in a heap, clutching ankle/knee/face in order to force the referee to stop the game and award a free kick. As we all know, this particularly prevalent in and around the penalty area when the attacking team concedes possession and one of their players is "injured' in just such a way, conveniently forcing play to be halted, which then prevents the opponents creating a quick breakaway. 

I remember seeing one game where exactly this happened, and the attacking player was writhing around in agony, but miraculously made a full recovery when his team regained possession and was back on the attack! 

Rulemakers increasing inclination to make prescriptive laws/rules hasn't helped. The direction that referees should stop a game for head injuries has seen players go down in the box clutching their heads as though they've had a lobotomy - this is especially noticeable with ariel challenges - knowing that the referee is forced to stop the game and thereby halt the opponents momentum.

I honestly believe that referees are naive in this respect, and that this could well be because they've not played the game at any decent level so don't know and understand how players think.  

Somebody like Chopper Harris would have snapped Fernandez in half tbh........on the premise that "if I'm going to get a red anyway I'll make sure it's one worth taking"!! However, these days, there would also be calls for a 5 season ban or something similar.

1 hour ago, Numero Uno said:

Somebody like Chopper Harris would have snapped Fernandez in half tbh........on the premise that "if I'm going to get a red anyway I'll make sure it's one worth taking"!! However, these days, there would also be calls for a 5 season ban or something similar.

Chopper Harris wouldn't have made it past the warm these days!