IGNORED

AFCON 2023

Gazred

Tournament starts on Saturday. Few useful links below, couple of guides and the TV schedule.

Ivory Coast (hosts) v Guinea-Bissau is the first match up, 8pm KO our time. All matches on Sky.

Semenyo is in the Ghana squad, so hopefully shines if given the chance and adds a few £ to his worth.

Certainly a few more household names across the squads these days and often a few upsets along the way. I won't be watching all the qualifying games myself but there will be some decent fixtures on the way to the Final.

https://theathletic.com/5178689/2024/01/10/afcon-2024-salah-ivory/]

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/africa/67285720

https://www.radiotimes.com/tv/sport/football/afcon-2023-tv-live-stream/

• Thanks 2

AFCON  is a month of beautiful chaos. 

Remember a game at the last AFCON where the ref blew up for full time about 8 minutes early. Protests and anger ensued, about 40 minutes later they come back out to play the rest of the game but not before at one point the winning team refusing to come out. 

I think they only played about another 6 minutes before the ref come to the conclusion that he couldn’t be arsed with the last couple of minutes nor added on time. They must have had decent post match food on offer or something 😂

Fingers crossed for more farcical scenes along with some decent football despite the dodgy surfaces. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Natchfever said:

Genuine question.

Should such "in season" tournos influence signings for English clubs ?

Doesnt seem to but its always used as an excuse when results go south so presume their absence isnt planned for ?

Not taliking stellars like Son mind.

I would think that it would not influence a single signing. 

Most players will probably miss about 1 month every 2 years anyway. Injuries, suspension, illness etc. No player is signed with an expectation that they are always available.

However, I'd say that every AFCON-eligible player signed increases your concern when you're looking at the next AFCON-eligible player.

Losing one player to AFCON won't impact most teams. Losing five players would cause anyone issues.

So it's a bit of a subtle issue but yes should be on a team's mind if it's their 3rd or 4th African player.

35 minutes ago, Gazred said:

Tournament starts on Saturday. Few useful links below, couple of guides and the TV schedule.

Ivory Coast (hosts) v Guinea-Bissau is the first match up, 8pm KO our time. All matches on Sky.

Semenyo is in the Ghana squad, so hopefully shines if given the chance and adds a few £ to his worth.

Certainly a few more household names across the squads these days and often a few upsets along the way. I won't be watching all the qualifying games myself but there will be some decent fixtures on the way to the Final.

Jojo Wollacott is also in the Ghana squad, having missed out on the World Cup through injury. However, Fam has not been selected by Senegal.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Most players will probably miss about 1 month every 2 years anyway. Injuries, suspension, illness etc. No player is signed with an expectation that they are always available.

However, I'd say that every AFCON-eligible player signed increases your concern when you're looking at the next AFCON-eligible player.

Losing one player to AFCON won't impact most teams. Losing five players would cause anyone issues.

So it's a bit of a subtle issue but yes should be on a team's mind if it's their 3rd or 4th African player.

Cheers. Thought abou a Sane and Salah missing a Liverpool league push scenario.

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Natchfever said:

It's only my thoughts on it. Only how I'd approach it. 

Apparently Forest are the most impacted, with 6 players leaving. A few other teams have 4 out. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ExiledAjax said:

It's only my thoughts on it. Only how I'd approach it. 

Apparently Forest are the most impacted, with 6 players leaving. A few other teams have 4 out. 

Didn't know Forest Green Rovers had that many going 😂

5 hours ago, Gazred said:

BBC have announced they are showing a limited number of matches, including Saturdays opener.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67948391

15 hours ago, Gazred said:

City had a player who was born in Bissau. It's one of the poorest countries in the world. Good luck to them!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Olé said:

City had a player who was born in Bissau. It's one of the poorest countries in the world. Good luck to them!

Im sure i will recognise the name but i've no idea.

Was he perhaps Portugese as the country was once a part of the kingdom?

15 hours ago, Natchfever said:

Genuine question.

Should such "in season" tournos influence signings for English clubs ?

Doesnt seem to but its always used as an excuse when results go south so presume their absence isnt planned for ?

Not taliking stellars like Son mind.

There was something - years back - about some sort of FIFA rule that meant that if a player was injured on International duty, that the 'FA' (or the local equivalent) were on the hook for paying/compensating their club for wages until they were fit again, but with top players earning hundreds of thousands a week, this presented a problem for a lot of the under-developed nations that just didn't have the resources to pay.

And that's as far as my memory goes. No idea if/what/was a solution found. 

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Natchfever said:

Sane is German unless you mean Mane who no longer plays for Liverpool.

15 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

Man City have no African or Asian players. Pretty sure that's no accident.

Bet they win about 15 games in a row now.

African football has got real strength in depth now. Probably 10 sides who you would say were competitive on a world level.

2 hours ago, Gazred said:

Im sure i will recognise the name but i've no idea.

Was he perhaps Portugese as the country was once a part of the kingdom?

Albano Correia

Screenshot2024-01-12at11_48_27.png.dc3b591d292766a94746b9c5f00c4d41.png

• Thanks 2

Egypt - Mozambique is absolutely sensational (on Sky right now). Not your usual stodgy AFCON game it’s been end to end. Salah and co scored after 1 minute but the rank outsiders who have never won a game at the tournament in their history and have a 40 year old running the show, have looked slick on the break and in transition from then on and have now just scored twice in a minute in the second half to go ahead on the hour. Egypt absolutely rattled and all the local fans supporting Mozambique.

17 minutes ago, Olé said:

Egypt - Mozambique is absolutely sensational (on Sky right now). Not your usual stodgy AFCON game it’s been end to end. Salah and co scored after 1 minute but the rank outsiders who have never won a game at the tournament in their history and have a 40 year old running the show, have looked slick on the break and in transition from then on and have now just scored twice in a minute in the second half to go ahead on the hour. Egypt absolutely rattled and all the local fans supporting Mozambique.

It's been a great watch. Major upset incoming...

8 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

It was a pen but did you see the handball by the Egypt player just before the tackle? A pity VAR never went back to that.

Missed it, was just having some dinner. Would not be surprised to see Egypt treated favourably, among others.

5 minutes ago, Gazred said:

Missed it, was just having some dinner. Would not be surprised to see Egypt treated favourably, among others.

Yep, my thoughts too. It wasn`t deliberate but the ball rolled down his arm before going to the player who was fouled. I don`t even know if it counts as handball either these days!