IGNORED

Preston North End away match thread

14 minutes ago, Supersonic Robin said:

Personally, I'd rather start Weimann than Bell.

This isn't about Pearson though, more that Mehmeti seems to get a disproportionate amount of criticism compared to other poorer performers. Anis has put in some very good performances since Manning has come in.

One good performance. And reverted to type in all his other games.

• Like 1

Before half the forum implodes, City aren't a bad team, just one that needs a central goal-scoring striker and a creative midfielder to maximise our good approach play. 

Yes, we fell away in the second half, but you invite pressure when you fail to score and that's 3 games now.

• Like 5
3 minutes ago, Jose said:

Id be surprised if we failed to score in three successive games against the shit opposition we have just played but feel free to prove me wrong. 

I don't know I just remember rubbish under Pearson as well. Certainly very poor today.

23 minutes ago, Alan Dicks said:

We’re 14th in the table, where were we the day we sacked Nige????

we had 18 points from 14 games. Manning I think is 15 from 11. But having failed to score for 3 league games in a row, especially given that it includes Rooney's Birmingham and this lot, I for one feel less optimistic than I did on 28 Oct.

• Like 4
1 minute ago, The Original OTIB said:

Pretty obvious, Lowe went for it, attacking subs, changed shape and intent, forced us back and into errors early 2nd half, no significant response or subs. Eventually went to 3 at back, gave extra space for 2nd.

I can see why he went three at the back . To get two up top as we’re chasing the game. . They were always going to come out stronger but the players need to deal with it. Through all prestons effort , they created nothing . We’ve gifted two very basic , school boy goals. That’s nothing to do with tactics that’s down to players making poor decisions AGAIN 

• Like 2
Just now, steviestevieneville said:

I can see why he went three at the back . To get two up top as we’re chasing the game. . They were always going to come out stronger but the players need to deal with it. Through all prestons effort , they created nothing . We’ve gifted two very basic , school boy goals. That’s nothing to do with tactics that’s down to players making poor decisions AGAIN 

Errors merely compounded the lack of response. Good foundation first half, out thought for 2nd.

It feels like we’re reaching new season lows in recent weeks, despite players coming back from injury, which is worrying. 

Really disappointing. If they want this front foot/controlling football, they had better spend some money because this lot are simply not capable of it - which is probably why NP was happy for us not to have the ball!!!!

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

Can someone please explain the logic of two subs coming on in 89th minute when we are 2-0 down and don’t look like scoring if we played another 90 minutes?

To add an appearance to their season's stats. Sometimes contracts and/or bonuses can be tied to appearances. 

Expect us to play well against Watford next week and probably get a good result, they are the sort of team we should do ok against.

Against these lower midtable teams Pearson would try to open up the game and get them on the counter. Manning is trying to implement a more possession style without any sign of the correct players to achieve it.

Hence its so true that Lansdown and Tinnion threw our season away both in August with no AM and when sacking Pearson

• Like 4
10 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

One good performance. And reverted to type in all his other games.

No, multiple good performances. Much more than can be said for Bell, who has barely had a positive or useful touch of the football for us in months.

With Sykes injured, Mehmeti is currently the best option we have out wide - like it or loathe it. Yes, it's frustrating that he gives the ball away at times, but that's the nature of having a player of his style who tries to make things happen. If it came off every time he tried something, then he'd be playing for Real Madrid. 

The strange agenda that some of our fans appear to have against Mehmeti is frankly laughable.

Edited by Supersonic Robin
  • Like 2

That was truly terrible. The players look knackered and unfortunately we have no    squad depth. We really lack physicality all over the pitch. We need to recruit strength and pace, even if it’s just an option for us to play against sides like Preston and Birmingham.

There is no plan B at all, if I’m an opposing manager, I really don’t have to do much research to understand how we might play or how to set up against us. It’s not like I would even have to tell my players that city might change formation, because we only have one.

We also really lack gamesmanship, we don’t push or try and buy free kicks. We are never in the refs face, we just accept poor decisions and allow ourselves to get bullied. We have to learn to give as good as we get against physical teams. It’s just naive football. We see lots of effort and and work from the lads, but we need grit and fight and a win by any means attitude. 

West Ham, like previous cup runs, is just a distraction at a time we don’t need it. I wish we had the depth for a manager to be able to say, if you don’t perform in the league against Preston, you won’t have the privilege of testing yourself against Premier League opposition. Maybe that way, there would have been a little more reason to put in a good performance today. 

• Like 2
  • Flames 1
1 minute ago, Supersonic Robin said:

No, multiple good performances. Much more than can be said for Bell, who has barely had a positive or useful touch of the football for us in months.

With Sykes injured, Mehmeti is currently the best option we have out wide - like it or loathe it. Yes, it's frustrating that he gives the ball away at times, but that's the nature of having a player of his style who tries to make things happen. If it came off every time he tried something, then he'd be playing for Real Madrid. 

But don't let that stop the strange agenda that you and some other fans appear to have against Mehmeti.

At this moment in time bell is simply not good enough, one of the commentators on robins tv was banging on about his lightning pace, can’t remember the last time he used it .

• Like 3
1 minute ago, Supersonic Robin said:

But don't let that stop the strange agenda that you and some other fans appear to have against Mehmeti.

It’s no agenda, he’s just not a Championship player, arguably yet, but not now. You might as well replace him with Yeboah, at least he’d scare people with pace, rather than a couple of step overs and the predictable cut inside.

• Like 3