IGNORED

Preston North End away match thread

26 minutes ago, The Wild Bunch said:

Supporting this club is so frustrating, so many lows and so few highs in my 40 years of watching.  Destined to remain a footballing backwater.

26 minutes ago, The Wild Bunch said:

Supporting this club is so frustrating, so many lows and so few highs in my 40 years of watching.  Destined to remain a footballing backwater.

About 37 years for me, really sad after all that time I can count on 1 hand some really good seasons or teams we’ve had 

• Like 1

It has to be said..............We are just such a massive let down , and just so insipid upfront          .................prior to  today,  PNE FC had conceded 24 home goals...... Will it change?  I hope so......but after so many years supporting BCFC, I somehow doubt it.  What a complete non event of a match.

Edited by maxjak
1 hour ago, Jerseybean said:

Observations from me.

We edged the first half, largely, however, because PNE was so poor. They were much better in the second half, their substitutions at half time changed the game effectively.

Max made a a world class save early in the second half to keep us in the game.

For me Anis and Sam we’re not in the game enough and when they had the ball they were poor. Tommy Conway wasn’t far behind and just didn’t influence the game. Again I think this game highlighted our lack of creativity and goals, thats no goals in our last three league games.

On the positive side, I thought Williams and Knight both had good games and it’s good to see McCorie and Roberts back in contention.

In the end, we were second-best and didn’t deserve anything from that game.

Huge well done to the traveling fans.

I feel so sorry for the travelling fans....what a complete waste of time and money?

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, maxjak said:

I feel so sorry for the travelling fans....what a complete waste of time and money?

That’s what supporting your club is all about , all part of the experience, good days bad days  actually some very good days 🍺🍺🍺 usually spoilt by 90 mins of football 

Edited by redkev
  • Like 1
Just now, redkev said:

That’s what supporting your club is all about , all part of the experience, good days bad days  actually some very good days 🍺🍺🍺 usually spoilt by 90 mins of football 

After 40 years..............home and away, i am constantly suffering from Deja Vu?   Watching Bristol City often reminds of me of a below average soap opera constantly on repeat?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, petehinton said:

Interesting, and a bit of a worry, LM said post match that their changes “weren’t exactly big ones, they didn’t become more free flowing, they just went more direct”. It’s not about making changes to look prettier on the pitch mate, it’s about making changes that win you the game. 

My big question of the modern trend of young tracksuit coaches is can they influence in game and can they find ways to win , and win consistently

A separate skill set / challenge for any man in charge , and not a dig at LM , but there are good and very good ‘managers’ in the past who weren't necessarily great ‘coaches’ ,but good ‘managers’ and ‘winners’.

One of Liams hills to climb

Edited by Sheltons Army
  • Like 2
2 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Once again ,their choice..........nothing guaranteed in this sport .

Bit older and wiser but loved my days following city home and away every week , got into scrapes , got drunk got wet nearly got divorced ( a few times ) missed many a train weekends away missed the beginning of some games 🍺🍺 met some great people had many many disappointments had some ( not to many highs ) would I change it not in a million years 

• Like 2
  • Flames 1
1 minute ago, Sheltons Army said:

My big question of the modern trend of young tracksuit coaches is can they influence in game and can they find ways to win , and win consistently

A separate skill set / challenge for any man in charge , and not a dig at LM , but there are good and very good ‘managers’ in the past who went necessarily great ‘coaches’ but good ‘managers’ and ‘winners’.

One of Liams hills to climb

Reacted to late today the game was going against us before they scored but yet done nothing until 2 down 

Some of their fans are disappointed. Today's victory means their Manager keeps his job.

https://www.pne-online.net/forum/index.php?threads/pne-v-bristol-city-13-01-24-ko-3pm-championship.3439702/page-37

the first half was dire and that's being kind, the three subs made the difference, mind you by half time I think we had finally worked out that City were crap.

Lowe's half time team talk went something along the lines of, if you don't pull your fingers out I will be sacked in the morning.

I was actually thinking that at half time the players were told that if Lowe goes Nathan Jones is up next……..

4 minutes ago, redkev said:

Bit older and wiser but loved my days following city home and away every week , got into scrapes , got drunk got wet nearly got divorced ( a few times ) missed many a train weekends away missed the beginning of some games 🍺🍺 met some great people had many many disappointments had some ( not to many highs ) would I change it not in a million years 

Exactly, my point is, don't feel sorry for them.........wish I was still able to do it !

• Like 1
2 hours ago, pongo88 said:

What’s telling is that 9 of LM’s 15 points came from 3 consecutive games. Of those 3, only the Watford match was a good performance. It was a daylight robbery win against Sunderland and a fortunate win against Hull. In a way it doesn’t matter how you pick up points but long term, if you want promotion, it’s the style of play and the team performance that’s important. Unfortunately for City too many of the last 11 matches have been dire. A common theme after a some matches is “when did you see as bad a match as that”. Then the next match is worse and so on 

Spot on!

As you say, Watford aside, even the victorious performances have been poor.  Which I said at the time and got hammered for.  

Some of the comments I saw after Sunderland, Hull etc. were textbook 'Emporer's New Clothes' stuff!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, old_eastender said:

If LM really thinks that, it's a major worry. Yes they went more direct, but instantly seemed energized by the changes and we become very much 2nd best, after largely being in control 1st half. LMs failure to react with subs for us to counter their changes, cost us the game.

Exactly. As I said they were booed off by a lot of their fans at the break, we had them on the ropes. Instead of landing a killer punch when the match resumed, or at least trying to, we let them take control. We had it in our hands and got what we deserved by not being brave or having belief. 

Yes we have a big game coming up on Tuesday, but surely the best preparation for that would be to go into that on the back of a win or at least a good performance. Now we face West Ham with neither.

1 hour ago, Glen hump said:

About 37 years for me, really sad after all that time I can count on 1 hand some really good seasons or teams we’ve had 

Ah, you kids have so much to learn and understand about supporting BCFC.

Very Bristol city, average players - average manager (who I think will turn out good) and average fan base (not a dig I think we are!!!). 14th in the league,

as my good friend says Preston v Bristol might as well fast forward because it will be the same championship fixture on 2034/2035

• Like 3
  • Hmmm 1
1 minute ago, ChrisJ said:

Very Bristol city, average players - average manager (who I think will turn out good) and average fan base (not a dig I think we are!!!). 14th in the league,

as my good friend says Preston v Bristol might as well fast forward because it will be the same championship fixture on 2034/2035

Which will be proof that Steve’s £700m was money well spent cos look at where we were before he took over………..now he’s established us in the Championship for 30 years.

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1
29 minutes ago, Burt_ said:

Spot on!

As you say, Watford aside, even the victorious performances have been poor.  Which I said at the time and got hammered for.  

Some of the comments I saw after Sunderland, Hull etc. were textbook 'Emporer's New Clothes' stuff!

Hull display was good, mixed good.and bad in some other games..West Ham was unequivocally good albeit draw and Sunderland absolutely had the better of us.

2 hours ago, Jerseybean said:

For me Anis and Sam we’re not in the game enough and when they had the ball they were poor. Tommy Conway wasn’t far behind and just didn’t influence the game. Again I think this game highlighted our lack of creativity and goals, thats no goals in our last three league games.

I felt sorry for Bell in a way, first half out of possession being required to drop in as a RWB in a back 5 but then as soon as we get possession being expected to be near their defensive line, lots of transition work for him and hard being in position. You needed someone like the right footed equivalent of Pring, still capable of attack but has the defensive quality needed being asked to be in the defensive line. Sam was probably being asked to do it because of his physical capacity to be able to do so. 

Conway for me doesn't suit the system and role he's being asked to play, he's at his best when he can run in behind, run channels, use his movement in the box off cut backs etc but nothing in possession for us today helped him, all he had was back to play barely even a good pass into feet, more often in the air when he's got a CB behind him whose half a foot taller then him. Even out of possession, being asked to press their entire defensive line because we were 541 where as other games he's had Knight up with him properly in shape and worked much better. 

Similarly I don't think the system suits Bell at all, his strength is ball at feet in some space being able to drive at players, linking up off quick movement, being slid in behind as well yet in this system he's being asked to come to Tanner to receive facing our defenders tight to the touchline without much space to operate in. Bell isn't a player whose going to wriggle his way out of tight spaces like that. 

They were poor yes, either we need to accept they're the players we want and work out a way to incorporate their strengths, that Preston back line would have hated a whole game of channel balls with Tommy and Sam chasing them down, they put so many out for throw ins in their own third rather than be brave on the ball. OR we're going to end up selling Tommy and Sam because they don't fit the system that Manning will play. 

• Like 1
  • Flames 2
3 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Conway for me doesn't suit the system and role he's being asked to play, he's at his best when he can run in behind, run channels, use his movement in the box off cut backs etc but nothing in possession for us today helped him, all he had was back to play barely even a good pass into feet, more often in the air when he's got a CB behind him whose half a foot taller then him. Even out of possession, being asked to press their entire defensive line because we were 541 where as other games he's had Knight up with him properly in shape and worked much better. 

We tended to “press” (block more than press) with Knight and Mehmeti either side.  It wasn’t really a 541.  They played with Conway not either side of Williams hd TGH.

7 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Similarly I don't think the system suits Bell at all, his strength is ball at feet in some space being able to drive at players, linking up off quick movement, being slid in behind as well yet in this system he's being asked to come to Tanner to receive facing our defenders tight to the touchline without much space to operate in. Bell isn't a player whose going to wriggle his way out of tight spaces like that. 

Sam needed to mix it up today.  If you always come short, you make yourself easy to mark.  The occasional spin in behind would’ve made Hughes and Millar think differently.

IMG_2550.jpeg

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

We tended to “press” (block more than press) with Knight and Mehmeti either side.  It wasn’t really a 541.  They played with Conway not either side of Williams hd TGH.

I'll be interested to watch parts back, being sat where I was the depth was hard to tell at times but often looked more like Conway being left alone and we wanted to contain rather then go after them.

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, ChrisJ said:

Yep. We are the two most pointless teams in the league 

3 minutes ago, nickolas said:

How did McCrorie do? I know probably a pointless game to come on but where did he play, did he show anything of worth?? 

Yes it was fairly pointless by then. He played RWB. No he didn’t do anything worthy of note.

Impossible to judge anything from his brief appearance today to be honest. Except, maybe, that he gives us an option to go 3 at the back.