IGNORED

Jason Knight

Port Said Red

And that’s the problem with a small squad. We have no choice but to persist. It’s like the 4 games over Xmas period. The back 4 played every minute of the games, because we haven’t got sufficient cover. So we just plough on with the same players until they breakdown. 
Knight has been excellent for us but not surprised that his performances could dip

Edited by Red Army 75
  • Like 2

In fact I'd go as far to say 

IF we were planning to implement a 'front foot attacking style'

Jason Knight as our major summer expense

Is one of our most bizarre decisions ever.

As a bloke, first part of the press, key part of a counter YES I get it

Trying to create chances whilst dominating possession NO ******* way

I love his energy and tenacity… but I need some G/A from the lad. That’s what I expect from a 10. I appreciate he works back so hard and that willingness to work is one reason why we’re (usually) very strong at the back. But our forwards aren’t forwarding.

Edited by BCFCGav
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, The Original OTIB said:

Often takes the shots he should not and not the ones he should. Decisions, decisions. Not behaviours. Squad trait.

I’d say that about most of our squad & what separates really good players in general to average ones at pro level. 
not that much to do with technic . It’s speed of thought & decision making . Mehmeti I glaring example . Takes way too long to process . 

Edited by steviestevieneville
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

He's not a No. 10. That's why we're looking to sign one.

This….. 👍

We are lucky to have Knight but not sure we are playing to his strengths right now…..expecting far too much of him…..need to be able to rest him now and again too

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

One's a fresher version of himself would have done better with I think. 

I think the position does him no favours. A big part of his game is movement , but ATM he's almost trying to play 2 or 3 positions. He is Tommy's main support , that means he's busting a gut to get to get near him. He tries to help in MF and he is probably our main pressing forward. Too much IMO.

51 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Hey @Davefevs as his biggest fan, what is the point of Jason Knight against sides that need to be broken down?

As the most advanced midfielder he is most definitely not the answer.

95% lists blah blah blah

While this is more trying to dig people or players out, rather than a reasoned post, there is a point I agree with. I don't think playing Knight as a '10' is helping him or us. When he first joined he looked brilliant , and was in CMF. He looked like the mobile midfielder we have needed  and he did pop up in threatening positions. Lately most of our chances have dropped to him, and while that is a credit to him it also puts a lot of un needed pressure on him. We really could do with a genuine goalscoring 10 and get Knight back into MF. 

1 hour ago, cidercity1987 said:

Hey @Davefevs as his biggest fan, what is the point of Jason Knight against sides that need to be broken down?

As the most advanced midfielder he is most definitely not the answer.

95% lists blah blah blah

I am a huge fan, I think he’s a super player, who was a great signing for the way Nigel Pearson was looking to evolve our team this season.

If you go back and read my posts, you’ll see I don’t see him as a no10, so I’m not sure what you’re trying to get at with a dig at me….or @Harry use of his 95-100 lists.

58 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

I’d suggest that your definition of front foot football differs from mine.  Yours appears to be more aligned to Tins and Jon’s “soundbites version” which isn’t front-foot at all imho! 😉

He's got more to his game than the press.  He’s being implemented far higher under LM, so maybe you’d like to ask him.  He can play in different roles.

And back to my other point, even though he was quiet (poor?) today, he still looked like our most likely scorer.  He can’t be one of our better players every week, he’s allowed a quiet game once in a while.

And whilst you mention recruitment, then maybe you possibly some questions to be asked about whether the recruitment of Manning was the ideal successor to Nige, if we are gonna look at games like today, Millwall, Brum.

But there is of course some balance to be had too, e.g. Watford, Hull, West Ham.

I think your posts need to look further than me (or Knight for that matter)! 🙂🙂🙂

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I am a huge fan, I think he’s a super player, who was a great signing for the way Nigel Pearson was looking to evolve our team this season.

If you go back and read my posts, you’ll see I don’t see him as a no10, so I’m not sure what you’re trying to get at with a dig at me….or @Harry use of his 95-100 lists.

I’d suggest that your definition of front foot football differs from mine.  Yours appears to be more aligned to Tins and Jon’s “soundbites version” which isn’t front-foot at all imho! 😉

He's got more to his game than the press.  He’s being implemented far higher under LM, so maybe you’d like to ask him.  He can play in different roles.

And back to my other point, even though he was quiet (poor?) today, he still looked like our most likely scorer.  He can’t be one of our better players every week, he’s allowed a quiet game once in a while.

And whilst you mention recruitment, then maybe you possibly some questions to be asked about whether the recruitment of Manning was the ideal successor to Nige, if we are gonna look at games like today, Millwall, Brum.

But there is of course some balance to be had too, e.g. Watford, Hull, West Ham.

I think your posts need to look further than me (or Knight for that matter)! 🙂🙂🙂

The only thing I'd disagree with there is that I don't think Knight had a quiet or poor game. I thought he was the pick today and was in the thick of everything. He's not the most technical of players, but his energy and movement is very good and he always gets a few shots off every game.

• Like 1

I think it’s bound to happen in certain games, a lot of his game is centred around high energy and you can’t expect him to be able to perform like that week in week out.

I said it from day one though I think it was very premature to give him the armband, he was performing very well and I don’t really see why he needed the added pressure.. especially after only being at the club for a short period. I also think it’s very harsh on Vyner who has come through the academy, worked extremely hard to be one of the first names on the team sheet and is the clear leader on the pitch to then take it off him and give it to knight. I can see the argument for “it’s only an armband, it doesn’t mean much”, but I can also see why it would be a bit demoralising for someone like Vyner. And I can also imagine a scenario where Knight feels added pressure taking the armband after a short period at the club which could effect his performance. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TommyD68 said:

I think it’s bound to happen in certain games, a lot of his game is centred around high energy and you can’t expect him to be able to perform like that week in week out.

I said it from day one though I think it was very premature to give him the armband, he was performing very well and I don’t really see why he needed the added pressure.. especially after only being at the club for a short period. I also think it’s very harsh on Vyner who has come through the academy, worked extremely hard to be one of the first names on the team sheet and is the clear leader on the pitch to then take it off him and give it to knight. I can see the argument for “it’s only an armband, it doesn’t mean much”, but I can also see why it would be a bit demoralising for someone like Vyner. And I can also imagine a scenario where Knight feels added pressure taking the armband after a short period at the club which could effect his performance. 

If you don’t think Knight has the mental strength to be captain, then Vyner imho is an even worse choice.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TommyD68 said:

Limited options, I guess. And I don’t think it would do Zak any favours at all to make him captain. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I don’t see him as a no10

I'm with you all the way there Dave.
Even though he gets in great positions and has had many of our best chances recently. I think that is in spite of where he's playing not because. 
I think he would be more effective for the team deeper. Ideally play all three ( TGH & Williams ) or use TGH for rotation. Seeing Knight chasing and pressing is all well and good, but employ that energy in MF and I think he improves us greatly. I'd stick Mehmeti in the 10 spot , I've said that a few times, even Sykes as he's played there before. 

21 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

In Pearson mind - he was never meant to replace Scott. 

We were supposed to, in NPs mind have a plan A and B lined up if Scott left.

We went with C, sign nobody, and sack the CEO, Manager, and Coaching Team.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, BCFCGav said:

I love his energy and tenacity… but I need some G/A from the lad. That’s what I expect from a 10. I appreciate he works back so hard and that willingness to work is one reason why we’re (usually) very strong at the back. But our forwards aren’t forwarding.

2 goals 3 assists in the League already. Can he improve? Sure. How many should be a realistic target.

9 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

2 goals 3 assists in the League already. Can he improve? Sure. How many should be a realistic target.

So that’s on course for 10 G/A for the season which is respectable, especially if he is more of a CM than a CAM. That’s the key bit for me I think. Is he a CM doing very well out of position or a CAM doing well but no more?

• Like 1