IGNORED

Poll on the Lansdowns - Stay or Go?

Poll Time - SL & JL - Stay Or Go - Simple 'Yes' or 'No'?  

557 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Can't honestly believe this poll.

Lansdowns - Investment made all over the Bristol Sport brand. Have a ground we can be proud of. Wipes out our debts when needed. Youth set up amazing. Investing still (Ps investing also means wiping out debts)

Where on earth are you coming from? It really beggars belief.

If you feel this down about the whole thing - take up fishing in a boat on your tod.

Be careful what you wish for. Pathetic, FFS

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Flames 1
  • Facepalm 1

16 minutes ago, DirtySanchez said:

Lansdowns - Investment made all over the Bristol Sport brand. Have a ground we can be proud of. Wipes out our debts when needed. Youth set up amazing. Investing still (Ps investing also means wiping out debts)

If you feel this down about the whole thing - take up fishing in a boat on your tod.

Plenty of good reasons why people feel the way they do.

Yawn - “be careful what you wish for”.

I’m pleased that you are happy with them.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

Go: after Saturday; Stay: after last night; Watford? Let's see

This poll between Saturday and last night reminded me of this..........

29 minutes ago, DirtySanchez said:

If you cannot see the danger that Bristol Sport has placed City in, then you will never understand the legitimate concerns of others.  Let alone concerns over the lack of a proper Board, and failure to bring in other investors, etc, etc.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

36 minutes ago, DirtySanchez said:

Dont need your advice on what to do in my spare time arse licker.

Edited by Natchfever
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, DirtySanchez said:

I suspect it comes from a lack of strategy and ambition on the pitch. That’s a view those who spend their hard earned cash on the pitch are entitled to express. However much others try to shout them down. 

Last night was great but actually it just highlights the problem for me. The first, second and third priority of the club should be premiership football. Yet we seem expected to consider a ‘good cup run’ every few years as reward enough. 

It is hugely depressing that the Bristol City memories talked about are Tinnion against Liverpool or Don Gillies against Leeds from decades ago. 

On what they claim to be their top objective the current regime has failed. Supporters are entitled to point that out. 

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, DirtySanchez said:

Have a ground we can be proud of.

On this particular point, which get raised over and over :

How many years of thanks do you give Lansdown for the Stadium? 10, 20? After how many years are you allowed to criticize other decision making?

Obviously the result last night should change nothing about anyone's feelings towards the owners and the corporate structure of the club.

Off-field decision making is linked to on pitch performance, but not in such a way as it influences individual moments in games or one of results in cup games. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

Go: after Saturday; Stay: after last night; Watford? Let's see

That’s not how it works. And you know it. Nights like last night could be regular under different ownership. It could be worse also but personally I’m willing to take the risk.

32 minutes ago, DirtySanchez said:

Easy to say "Be careful what you wish for", but you've got to recognise that new ownership could go either way.

Maybe we'd get new owners and "do a Reading".
Maybe we'd get new owners and "do a Brighton".

To me, it feels like we're rather stagnant under the Lansdowns, and we need to roll the dice and accept the risk of new ownership if we want to progress much further.

On 14/01/2024 at 14:40, Bazooka Joe said:

To say "be careful what you wish for" is a premise based on (inflated) fear and risk-aversity.

And adherents of "It's not the destination, it's the journey" are kidding themselves.

We've been on the journey to getting nowhere for far too long.

No wonder we see the hugely frustrated, old timers on here venting and spitting blood.

They've heard the bullsh*t, suffered the broken promises, and witnessed the lack of drive, passion and genuine ambition from our alleged "owners" for too long.

The younger members on here may consider them grouchy bsterds, but if the Lansdowns stay in charge and continue as they have done, they themselves will be the grouchy, frustrated old gits of the future.

Risk/reward is the big thing in football now. The risk of getting rid of the Lansdowns and replacing them with an ambitious, truly passionate owner is one I would welcome.

I want our club to get to the Premiership before we all pop our clogs. And for those worried about us eventually coming back down, I'm sure it will all be fine.

I'm totally fed up with the journey. I want us to quickly get to the destination that we all set out for.

Too bloody right, brother.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, downendcity said:

This poll between Saturday and last night reminded me of this..........

Meant to add that fans long term views about the owner should not really change based just on one or two results.

17 minutes ago, Capman said:

I suspect it comes from a lack of strategy and ambition on the pitch. That’s a view those who spend their hard earned cash on the pitch are entitled to express. However much others try to shout them down. 

Last night was great but actually it just highlights the problem for me. The first, second and third priority of the club should be premiership football. Yet we seem expected to consider a ‘good cup run’ every few years as reward enough. 

It is hugely depressing that the Bristol City memories talked about are Tinnion against Liverpool or Don Gillies against Leeds from decades ago. 

On what they claim to be their top objective the current regime has failed. Supporters are entitled to point that out. 

That’s actually a very good point. Just shows we do not have any real history of success and makes us still look rather tinpot and underachievers. 

3 hours ago, Supersonic Robin said:

Easy to say "Be careful what you wish for", but you've got to recognise that new ownership could go either way.

Maybe we'd get new owners and "do a Reading".
Maybe we'd get new owners and "do a Brighton".

To me, it feels like we're rather stagnant under the Lansdowns, and we need to roll the dice and accept the risk of new ownership if we want to progress much further.

Don't you think they are trying to get new investors, see press releases around the summer? Don't think many people are queueing up to buy many clubs in this climate. You can see how little clubs are spending across any of the leagues, even we have broke the mould and got a loan in.

I just have to highlight one of my pet hates here… “Be careful what you wish for” as an argument is weak and spurious whataboutery. You can’t point to the very worst owners in the football league as an example of why we should stick with the status quo, any more than you can point to the poorest country in the world and say that the UK should stick with it’s government because “it could be worse”.

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

On 15/01/2024 at 15:23, Davefevs said:

Someone with the nous to employ the best people possible to help set clear strategic direction and execute it whilst recognising that you can’t be best mates with every employee, and that sometimes challenge and different of opinion happens for good reason.  Someone who communicates without taking fans for granted.  I don’t expect full transparency on commercially sensitive info.  Someone prepared to fund the club based on the strategy chosen.

How many owners across football fall into that category?

10 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

That's two out of 92 so far, I don't know much about owners and the clubs they own so I will take your word for those two.

It's not 92 really though. Clubs like Liverpool, Man City, Arsenal etc. are on a different level completely so you can't compare owners there. Clubs like Crawley Town, Barrow, Harrogate and Sutton United are also on a different level completely. There are probably 25-30 clubs we would need to compare ourselves to which is why I used the examples of Brighton and Brentford. I'm not going to use that often used and ridiculous phrase that gets trotted out on here but the argument seems to be that any new owner will be bad 99 times out of 100 and there is no such thing as a good owner except Steve Lansdown. The two examples I've given are at a massively higher level than Steve in terms of achievement and I also accept that the likes of Chansiri at Wednesday and the Chinese bloke who owns Reading and has previous for liquidating clubs is your counter argument.

If I told someone on here not to be afraid of their own shadow everyone would (correctly) think I was a patronising git. The over-used phrase on here is equally as patronising imo (that's not dragging you into any argument, just a general point).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DirtySanchez said:

Don't you think they are trying to get new investors, see press releases around the summer? Don't think many people are queueing up to buy many clubs in this climate. You can see how little clubs are spending across any of the leagues, even we have broke the mould and got a loan in.

But I wonder if it just might be the whole nonsense of BS putting potential football investors off. Just a thought

29 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

But I wonder if it just might be the whole nonsense of BS putting potential football investors off. Just a thought

Reckon youre right Ivor.

Lansdown doesnt appear so bothered about the rugby nowadays and his mate Booy is presiding over a bit of a pigs ear at present, so quite who would take on such an ensemble is beyond me.

In any event, I thought the re emergence of Crayon Boy into the spotlight signalled maybe a rethink on flogging the dead horse.

Could also be if Lansdown wants to sell 49% and keep being Mr Big.

36 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

Kieran Maguire of the Price of Football Podcast reckons the multiport model is the way forward. 

56 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

It's not 92 really though. Clubs like Liverpool, Man City, Arsenal etc. are on a different level completely so you can't compare owners there. Clubs like Crawley Town, Barrow, Harrogate and Sutton United are also on a different level completely. There are probably 25-30 clubs we would need to compare ourselves to which is why I used the examples of Brighton and Brentford. I'm not going to use that often used and ridiculous phrase that gets trotted out on here but the argument seems to be that any new owner will be bad 99 times out of 100 and there is no such thing as a good owner except Steve Lansdown. The two examples I've given are at a massively higher level than Steve in terms of achievement and I also accept that the likes of Chansiri at Wednesday and the Chinese bloke who owns Reading and has previous for liquidating clubs is your counter argument.

If I told someone on here not to be afraid of their own shadow everyone would (correctly) think I was a patronising git. The over-used phrase on here is equally as patronising imo (that's not dragging you into any argument, just a general point).

I agree to some extent, but there have been good owners that still never achieve anything. I think my point is that there is no magic formula, you might get lucky with something, for example I don't know that many people thought that Brentford doing away with their academy was a good idea, but it worked for them. Brighton did the exact opposite and that worked for them. Steve has made decisions that I thought were good for the club but never worked out (McInness/ SOD) that didn't click for numerous reasons, and others that I was dubious about that came off. 

I was talking to a friend last night about how some people just seem to click at some clubs, Pulis at Stoke, Ferguson at Peterborough, Howe at Bournemouth, but struggle elsewhere, why? Who knows? Do they even know themselves?

What we do know with Steve is that he has always put his money in when necessary and hasn't ended up in jail or disappeared overnight at the first sign of trouble, which I find reassuring.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DirtySanchez said:

Oh they may be trying, but as has been said so many times, SL’s dropped a massive bollock tying everything up into Bristol Sport.  He’s just made the club less attractive to potential buyers.

There are plenty of people buying into football, but it has to be an attractive proposition.  Doesn’t it make you wonder why it hasn’t happened with us, especially with the discussion by the commentstors last night that everything is in place for this club to take off, but we’ve underachieved for so long?

The club may be attractive, but I’ll bet the tangled web it’s tied into isn’t!