IGNORED

Poll on the Lansdowns - Stay or Go?

Poll Time - SL & JL - Stay Or Go - Simple 'Yes' or 'No'?  

557 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

4 hours ago, fgrsimon said:

Without a new investor, its a pointless exercise. If they were to walk out tomorrow it would be Administration, -10 points minimum and probable relegation.

Until something/anything is confirmed about a takeover there is no choice.

So he will walk away from the loans he has in the club? Admin is not going to happen. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Jose said:

Absolutely amazed already that 12 people are happy with job they are doing. ******* incredible. 

It’s not a yes or no from me - I’m in the ‘be careful what you wish for’ camp. We are very familiar with the Lansdowns and we know pretty much what to expect.

When/if the club gets taken over we could be in for a serious shock. Histories at other clubs show that.

• Like 4
  • Facepalm 2

6 minutes ago, Robbored said:

It’s not a yes or no from me - I’m in the ‘be careful what you wish for’ camp. We are very familiar with the Lansdowns and we know pretty much what to expect.

When/if the club gets taken over we could be in for a serious shock. Histories at other clubs show that.

What like, man city, Liverpool, Ipswich, Leicester, wrexham and such like you mean?

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, The Gasbuster said:

Sell majority of shares to a new investor, but remain on the board.

New investor to appoint all staff especially those in charge of football matters (DoF, Coaches, Recruitment, Medical etc..)

The Lansdowns deserve our thanks  and I would like them to stay (if they so wish) for all the good things they have done for us.

However; new people required to make the big decisions in getting this club moving forwards and upwards.

Agree it doesn't need to be as binary as the poll question.

And, for what it's worth, getting an investor in is what they are trying to do.

Exactly what that investor controls, how much they buy, what they buy (ie just City or the other sports as well), price they pay etc, that's all an unknown for us right now.

6 hours ago, The Gasbuster said:

lockquote widget

Edited by ExiledAjax

I would be amazed if any of the older posters voted yes, and if they do, then they are looking at the past with rose tinted glasses. We are in the best position we have been since the Harry Dolman era, and even Harry didn't get everything right. 

People pointing at Manchester City etc, but how many of those clubs are there across football as a whole? Even they took 8 years before they hit the right appointment in Pep, but I still don't think there is some tried and trusted method to getting everything right, sometimes it's luck of the draw.

As for the poll itself, do it again after we have won a couple of games, we really are that fickle.

• Like 5

I voted go but can't see anybody buying the whole Bristol Sport business, The Football club and Ashton Gate maybe but I don't think that's on the table.

Edited by M.D
spelling

7 hours ago, Fuber said:

you don't tend to sack a well-liked manager in the middle of an injury crisis due to a difference of opinion in a professional setting and replace him with a novice coach with 24 months managerial experience for a large compensation package, with further spending to sack incumbent coaches spending more to replace them.... when the formers contract ended in 8 months anyway.

This is only going to all get worse due to the way in which NP was sacked. Its lose lose for the board as, if they back Manning now, others such as myself will question as to why the predecessor didn't get backed. The fact they also feel the need to back him rubbishes 'the squad is good enough' argument.

It's just flagrant egotism, cronysim, and incompetence. Utter delusion.

A bit of context here - people were calling for Nige's head 8 months before he left; the pro-Nige feeling is driven by deep rooted antipathy towards the owners for not spending, say, no more than another £5-£7 million of the Scott fee.

In my day job over the years I've seen several "family" companies bring in outsiders to turn their business around and in the majority of cases it ends in tears. They [SL/JL] simply didn't like Nige as he told them a few home truths!!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, KendrickDNB said:

Posting this after a defeat… classic 

This is more than posting after a defeat the club just needs freshing up with new ideas do people honestly think we are going to progress with this current set up.

Currently we are an established championship side and that's it no more no less.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, headhunter said:

A bit of context here - people were calling for Nige's head 8 months before he left; the pro-Nige feeling is driven by deep rooted antipathy towards the owners for not spending, say, no more than another £5-£7 million of the Scott fee.

In my day job over the years I've seen several "family" companies bring in outsiders to turn their business around and in the majority of cases it ends in tears. They [SL/JL] simply didn't like Nige as he told them a few home truths!!

It was 10 months ago and there were about 50 boneheads in the singing section chanting "Pearson out," during the WBA boxing day game.

Yes and I'd have posted the same each week for the last 6 or 7 years. 

The Bristol Sport creation showed a certain someone had lost his grip on reality. 

Plus he sees something he likes one year and immediately thinks "I'll do that then", Barcelona, Brighton, Brentford models etc etc 

SL has no plan beyond trying to copy, not being able to succeed in that within a year or two, ripping it up and following a new fashion. That, and putting his son in charge who shouldn't be near anything other than running the fries station in McDonalds, shows he's not capable of taking this club any further

Edited by Randy Marsh II
  • Like 8
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

I would be amazed if any of the older posters voted yes, and if they do, then they are looking at the past with rose tinted glasses. We are in the best position we have been since the Harry Dolman era, and even Harry didn't get everything right. 

People pointing at Manchester City etc, but how many of those clubs are there across football as a whole? Even they took 8 years before they hit the right appointment in Pep, but I still don't think there is some tried and trusted method to getting everything right, sometimes it's luck of the draw.

As for the poll itself, do it again after we have won a couple of games, we really are that fickle.

Nothing to do with winning games. 25 years of poor decisions won't be rendered irrelevant by 3 points on a Saturday afternoon.

I've been going since 1970 and voted out.

• Like 4
  • Flames 2

Just now, Sir Geoff said:

Nothing to do with winning games. 25 years of poor decisions won't be rendered irrelevant by 3 points on a Saturday afternoon.

What about the previous 25 years of poor decisions by people who didn't even put their own money on the line to make them? 

Don't act like every decision they have made has been poor either, or how many of them only seem poor in hindsight. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

What about the previous 25 years of poor decisions by people who didn't even put their own money on the line to make them? 

Don't act like every decision they have made has been poor either, or how many of them only seem poor in hindsight. 

Were not talking about the 25 years previous to that though ( yes I remember people throwing their season tickets, at Les Kew, and a crowd forming at the back of the grandstand chanting,"where's the money gone.")

Not too many rosy times being a city fan.

7 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Tinnion, Cotterell, Holden, LJ extended contract etc, etc no hindsight needed there.

I started following city around 1972 and I voted out

Fed up completely with the jokers running out club, mistake after mistake with no lessons learned, no plan no foresight.

Can't join your happy brigade, never will with the current regime, people are frightened of change when it should be grasped and encouraged

How exactly are we in the "best position"?

1, We are now tenants in our ground with no say on who plays here or uses it, every stand/end has been replaced since my first visit yet it seems to have made us? how much exactly? and got us where?

2, We are still a mid table 2nd div/championship club as we were in 1967

3, The present boss seems to change managers every 5minutes and lacks conviction of his own choices, unlike back then when HD stuck with AD and it paid off

4, Nice redeveloped stadium and training ground has also got us where?

5, A close knit club, between players and fans and management has been replaced with a huge gap with each going their own way

6, We again seem to have to "trust him on Tinman" for our future, that went well last time didnt it.

7, Player sales seem to be just be trying to balance the books and cover mistakes SL/JL have made rather than buying/building a better squad

So this over 70yr old wants a change and is fed up with the circles this club this club seems to be forever going around.....probably wrong but thats my opinion.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

29 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

I`ll raise that to 1966/7 and voted out

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

What big decisions have the Lansdowns got right? Appointing Cotterill and Gary Johnson?

We need fresh ideas and we need people who know the game to run the club.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Lansdown has sunk in how much - 200 odd million? He's not going anywhere until he recovers most of that.

Reality check

I think that’s the problem. SL wants to recover a large percentage of the money he’s put into the club. Unfortunately life’s not like that and City’s / Bristol Sport’s value is much lower. If he was prepared to sale at a realistic price there would be a buyer. Whether or not the new owner would be better or worse is anybody’s guess

52 minutes ago, Randy Marsh II said:

Yes and I'd have posted the same each week for the last 6 or 7 years. 

The Bristol Sport creation showed a certain someone had lost his grip on reality. 

Plus he sees something he likes one year and immediately thinks "I'll do that then", Barcelona, Brighton, Brentford models etc etc 

SL has no plan beyond trying to copy, not being able to succeed in that within a year or two, ripping it up and following a new fashion. That, and putting his son in charge who shouldn't be near anything other than running the fries station in McDonalds, shows he's not capable of taking this club any further

The fries station at McDonalds😂😂

44 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

Were not talking about the 25 years previous to that though ( yes I remember people throwing their season tickets, at Les Kew, and a crowd forming at the back of the grandstand chanting,"where's the money gone.")

Not too many rosy times being a city fan.

And wasn’t he followed by the “Europe in five years” crew?! 

2 minutes ago, italian dave said:

And wasn’t he followed by the “Europe in five years” crew?! 

No, Lee Johnson was a good few years after that…

Edited by glynriley

This wanting £200m or whatever figure back gets my goat.

I’d wager a lot of us here are homeowners. Now, the cost of running that house annually includes heating, lighting, tax, repairs and renewals etc. Yet nobody, when coming to sell their house, says “well the bricks and mortar are worth 500k but I want £2m because of the money I put in to maintain it over 25 years”.

He put the money in to maintain the club over 25 years. Nobody forced him to, and to expect to get it back is both naive and idiotic.

• Like 3
  • Flames 3

1 hour ago, Sir Geoff said:

It was 10 months ago and there were about 50 boneheads in the singing section chanting "Pearson out," during the WBA boxing day game.

It’s remarkable how it now seems to be accepted that after that West Brom game Nige was wanted out by some massive majority.

No doubt there was a decent amount that seemed to take that view but at the game there was plenty of people around me shouting at the ‘We want Pearson out’ brigade to shut up. On a personal note, and this doesn’t really prove anything, there wasn’t one person I speak to about City that wanted him sacked.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, headhunter said:

Couple of points. The eight months ago argument is part and parcel of modern football, happened with LJ on multiple occasions.

Point in bold I summarily disagree with.

- could see a style of play and patterns that we hadn't had since Cotts.

- built a squad culture that fans could get behind.

- did so generating huge returns on player sales, and, with Gould, got fans feeling involved with 'the project'.

- he was sacked purely during an injury crisis as only the latter could generate a set of results that the board felt they could use as an excuse to remove him from post, along with Tinnion.

They didn't spend any of the Scott money - near all the summer spending and Mehmeti was offset by the Semenyo fee in January.