IGNORED

Poll on the Lansdowns - Stay or Go?

Poll Time - SL & JL - Stay Or Go - Simple 'Yes' or 'No'?  

557 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

36 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

But I wonder if it just might be the whole nonsense of BS putting potential football investors off. Just a thought

Kieran Maguire of the Price of Football Podcast reckons the multiport model is the way forward. 

56 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

It's not 92 really though. Clubs like Liverpool, Man City, Arsenal etc. are on a different level completely so you can't compare owners there. Clubs like Crawley Town, Barrow, Harrogate and Sutton United are also on a different level completely. There are probably 25-30 clubs we would need to compare ourselves to which is why I used the examples of Brighton and Brentford. I'm not going to use that often used and ridiculous phrase that gets trotted out on here but the argument seems to be that any new owner will be bad 99 times out of 100 and there is no such thing as a good owner except Steve Lansdown. The two examples I've given are at a massively higher level than Steve in terms of achievement and I also accept that the likes of Chansiri at Wednesday and the Chinese bloke who owns Reading and has previous for liquidating clubs is your counter argument.

If I told someone on here not to be afraid of their own shadow everyone would (correctly) think I was a patronising git. The over-used phrase on here is equally as patronising imo (that's not dragging you into any argument, just a general point).

I agree to some extent, but there have been good owners that still never achieve anything. I think my point is that there is no magic formula, you might get lucky with something, for example I don't know that many people thought that Brentford doing away with their academy was a good idea, but it worked for them. Brighton did the exact opposite and that worked for them. Steve has made decisions that I thought were good for the club but never worked out (McInness/ SOD) that didn't click for numerous reasons, and others that I was dubious about that came off. 

I was talking to a friend last night about how some people just seem to click at some clubs, Pulis at Stoke, Ferguson at Peterborough, Howe at Bournemouth, but struggle elsewhere, why? Who knows? Do they even know themselves?

What we do know with Steve is that he has always put his money in when necessary and hasn't ended up in jail or disappeared overnight at the first sign of trouble, which I find reassuring.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DirtySanchez said:

Don't you think they are trying to get new investors, see press releases around the summer? Don't think many people are queueing up to buy many clubs in this climate. You can see how little clubs are spending across any of the leagues, even we have broke the mould and got a loan in.

Oh they may be trying, but as has been said so many times, SL’s dropped a massive bollock tying everything up into Bristol Sport.  He’s just made the club less attractive to potential buyers.

There are plenty of people buying into football, but it has to be an attractive proposition.  Doesn’t it make you wonder why it hasn’t happened with us, especially with the discussion by the commentstors last night that everything is in place for this club to take off, but we’ve underachieved for so long?

The club may be attractive, but I’ll bet the tangled web it’s tied into isn’t!

9 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

In theory, acquisition of Bristol Bears and Bristol Flyers post cost of acquisition and that bit is key..they won't especially make money but they won't lose it either so depending on how much it adds to the initial cost of acquisition.

Rugby does lose money Mr P not like football of course. If though the salary cap was lifted and relegation ever came back then losses would possibly increase as its quite cosy currently.

2 minutes ago, Natchfever said:

Rugby does lose money Mr P not like football of course. If though the salary cap was lifted and relegation ever came back then losses would possibly increase as its quite cosy currently.

Yeah agreed Natch, was looking at it from a cash perspective too, the Cash Flow isn't huge. Salary cap seems to constrain costs somewhat. Dunno how the transfer system works either.

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Yeah agreed Natch, was looking at it from a cash perspective too, the Cash Flow isn't huge. Salary cap seems to constrain costs somewhat. Dunno how the transfer system works either.

Well, not sure of his contract length but heard Sinkler is off so may get something or at least reduce the wage bill.

Very unbalanced squad with a lack of big Saffer forwards who tend to be cheaper than NZ counterparts.

Clearout needed but Lam likely to stay as hes on a AG8 length deal I believe !

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ivorguy said:

But I wonder if it just might be the whole nonsense of BS putting potential football investors off. Just a thought

At is simplest it’s increasing the asking price and it’s not worth the extra it’s adding.

1 hour ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Kieran Maguire of the Price of Football Podcast reckons the multiport model is the way forward. 

Multi sport is good for increasing stadium use, it’s not adding (much) to the capability on the pitch.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

At is simplest it’s increasing the asking price and it’s not worth the extra it’s adding.

Multi sport is good for increasing stadium use, it’s not adding (much) to the capability on the pitch.

KM seems to think it's the popular model for investors though.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

KM seems to think it's the popular model for investors though.

Depends on which sport, what growth potential they have, etc.  Bears are already top-flight and lose money.  If British Basketball was as big a spectator sport as Rugby for example there would be considerable money to be made from going from 750 capacity to 7500 in the sporting quarter.

9 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Depends on which sport, what growth potential they have, etc.  Bears are already top-flight and lose money.  If British Basketball was as big a spectator sport as Rugby for example there would be considerable money to be made from going from 750 capacity to 7500 in the sporting quarter.

he did mention us on his pod

• Like 1