IGNORED

TGH signs permanent deal

Malago

27 minutes ago, The Journalist said:

I can only really think of Tony Dinning and Lee Tomlin as bad loan-into-permanent deals - are there more?

That said, can anyone think of any successful loan-into-permanent deals we’ve had?! There’s probably some obvious ones…

Andy Cole

• Like 6
  • Flames 2

28 minutes ago, The Journalist said:

I can only really think of Tony Dinning and Lee Tomlin as bad loan-into-permanent deals - are there more?

That said, can anyone think of any successful loan-into-permanent deals we’ve had?! There’s probably some obvious ones…

Personally I'd say that both Palmer and Tomlin were, on the whole, bad loan - perms. 

Kalas was a successful one no?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, The Journalist said:

Liam Fontaine, Wade Elliott.

Outstanding signings.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ZiderMeUp said:

Palmer? Does Dasilva count!

Dasilva is a good shout!

Palmer! Of course - mind-boggling. Bang average on loan, well stocked in his position and cost a fortune… and we still signed him. Arguably even worse than Tomlin and Dinning for that reason!

Edited by The Journalist
  • Like 1

Just now, The Journalist said:

I think you’d say Kalas was successful, albeit the way it worked out at £8m probably not value for money!

Yeh I just looked actually and he ended up playing only 106 times in the four years he was permanently with us, all whilst being out record signing and (probably) highest paid player (ever?). I guess if that's correct then maybe he wasn't a great conversion from loanee to permanent.

Like DaSilva I actually think that is one that could be spun either way.

17 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Tomlin was great on loan then put in decent to good numbers for about 3 months after joining permanently- free kick vs Aston Villa was a sublime strike but his attitude was suspect?

I remember he turned and started screaming all sorts at LJ after that goal...weird bloke that's for sure, imagine that talent but in a different guy

Edited by The Nest Egg
  • Like 2

This is, as said previously, is good business.

I hope that this becomes the rule rather than the exception. With the way that football is run financially today, shrewd work in the transfer market (coupled with a successful academy) is probably the only way for clubs like ours to progress. 

Credit to those involved in both deals today.

Edited by Red_Alligator

3 hours ago, The Journalist said:

Adam Matthew was another year loan….that was bad.  Cost us Ayling too!

3 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

I tend to believe what @Davefevs said 

After all, he's OOC in the summer so the loan would see that deal end and they can give him another year or whatever. I guess it amounts to the same thing .

I was only quoting Dood on Twitter.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, GrahamC said:

We never signed him permanently, 2 loan spells.

My memory is shocking , I really thought it was made permanent after the initial loan.

Just looked on Wiki. 21 games , thought he played much more than that too. 

Edited by 1960maaan

25 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

My memory is shocking , I really thought it was made permanent after the initial loan.

Just looked on Wiki. 21 games , thought he played much more than that too. 

Always remember driving down Regent St in Clifton & he was crossing the road.

Severely tempted to knock him down, second spell he was absolutely useless.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, The Journalist said:

Nathan Baker......  kind of.  I would say successful if accepted.

19 hours ago, Lydered said:

SSN have this down as a free. Not suggesting it's true for a second, just highlighting it

20240115_191035.jpg

Well it technically is but the fee for TGH went down accordingly. 

We could have sold Weimann for £9 million and bought TGH for £10 million.

The difference between the 2 fees is what matters to the clubs 

• Like 1