IGNORED

Bus Lanes/Gates on Cumberland Road

1960maaan

I've got previous for missing them and getting fined, but this is a new one. 
The Bus Gate on Cumberland Road must be new, I just got a warning this time. It means that if you live around by the Orchard and Spike Island you can't just drive up the road towards Temple Meades, you have to go either around to Hotwells and through the centre or the Bypass and Coronation Road. Who thought that was a good idea ? 
Cumberland road is 2 way for all but one bit , 'kin madness !

Screenshot 2024-01-16 at 16.33.17.png

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, candygram for mongo said:

Feel sorry for The Orchard pub.

With the bridge being closed and now this bus gate fiasco it must be harming trade for them.

BCC couldn’t care less about business. They’re even trying to cream off the profits from small time street traders.  

• Like 1

On 28/01/2024 at 14:05, candygram for mongo said:

Feel sorry for The Orchard pub.

With the bridge being closed and now this bus gate fiasco it must be harming trade for them.

The turning for the Orchard/SS Great Britain is before the bus gate so you can still drive to the Orchard

From BCC : The bus gate will be installed immediately to the east of Gas Ferry Road, so cars can travel eastbound on Cumberland Road up to this point, which also means access by road to the SS Great Britain will be retained from both directions

Cumberland Road stabilisation and bus gate update (bristol.gov.uk)

Used to park up near SS Great Britain on match days. Then we moved to Southville for parking, then that became a nightmare to park, then started parking on drive's through parking app's which then started charging double because others were doing the same and now just use the P&R.

This has all happened in the last 5-6 years. Bristol has been ruined for any outsiders wanting to travel to the City.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

The turning for the Orchard/SS Great Britain is before the bus gate so you can still drive to the Orchard

From BCC : The bus gate will be installed immediately to the east of Gas Ferry Road, so cars can travel eastbound on Cumberland Road up to this point, which also means access by road to the SS Great Britain will be retained from both directions

Cumberland Road stabilisation and bus gate update (bristol.gov.uk)

As we live on the East side of Bristol we can still drive there but the bus gate is on our way home so if we drive we have to turn right down Cumberland Road and come back on ourselves through town or up Coronation Road.

Although parking by The Orchard meant a bit of a walk to the ground and back, it was a quick getaway on that side of the river back towards home.

• Like 1

On 23/01/2024 at 11:51, Clinton said:

Complete utter madness by (B c c) to make a part of Cumberland Road a Bus gate. We have just been fined £35 pound whilst working for Bcc and we didn't notice the sign. 

I count myself lucky just getting a warning, they aren't usually that generous. It's easily missed , what I don't get is the benefit to traffic or Buses . How does it do anything apart from sending all traffic onto a busy Coronation Road or through an equally busy centre .

15 hours ago, candygram for mongo said:

Although parking by The Orchard meant a bit of a walk to the ground and back, it was a quick getaway on that side of the river back towards home.

That was my old parking space , easy way to get home quickly. I now have to park elsewhere and go through the centre. So far it's not been too bad for night matches, even the WHU game.
The walk through Greville Smyth is interesting in the dark though.

1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

The walk through Greville Smyth is interesting in the dark though.

I run through there fairly regularly - the state of the paths are really poor. I thought part of the AG redevelopment was that City had to make good and maintain those paths. But I guess not! 

Just now, CyderInACan said:

I run through there fairly regularly - the state of the paths are really poor. I thought part of the AG redevelopment was that City had to make good and maintain those paths. But I guess not! 

Going through in almost pitch black is interesting. The edges of the paths are like moats and the previous game I stepped in something that sank, I'm hoping it was quicksand . 

Doesn't help when the Police don't let you even use the paths into the park and you have to step over the fence by the old Wedlocks.

Quite nasty and ridiculous approach by Bcc. We live equidistant between Bath and Bristol. The Bus Gate system designed to rip off the motorist and make travel difficult means that we will no longer spend our money in Bristol. The soulless shopping centres and miserable environment combined with its illogical approach to road systems is a deathknell for its commercial and trading centre. The stupid Cumberland Road isolation of Spike island and the confused traffic routes around Baldwin street are key examples of planning by dead heads.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Southwell said:

Quite nasty and ridiculous approach by Bcc. We live equidistant between Bath and Bristol. The Bus Gate system designed to rip off the motorist and make travel difficult means that we will no longer spend our money in Bristol. The soulless shopping centres and miserable environment combined with its illogical approach to road systems is a deathknell for its commercial and trading centre. The stupid Cumberland Road isolation of Spike island and the confused traffic routes around Baldwin street are key examples of planning by dead heads.

Welvome to the city created by our inept, useless c*** of a mayor

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

On 27/02/2024 at 16:31, Southwell said:

As Bristol has got harder to get to and park in, the less I’ve visited. 

I used to work in Redland and would easily put a few hundred into the local economy a month, but traffic got progressively worse.  So I got a job elsewhere.  

I’d rather go out locally or into Bath now - equally a ball ache for traffic, but it’s station is an actually continently placed. 

I received 2 penalty charges and am expecting 2 more as I had no idea it had changed. Has anyone managed to contest a fine yet?  I think it’s criminal that this is allowed to happen. 

1 hour ago, Hugo said:

I received 2 penalty charges and am expecting 2 more as I had no idea it had changed. Has anyone managed to contest a fine yet?  I think it’s criminal that this is allowed to happen. 

With the greatest respect, the road narrows and there are two big blue signs saying Busses, Taxis and Cycles only. 
How you missed these is beyond me. I think the buss gate is utterly ridiculous and just puts more traffic to the other side of the river! 
I think it’s £35 a go !

Welcome to the morons that are BCC! 

3 hours ago, Hugo said:

The other Sunday heading to the galleries car park from old market roundabout  castle street was closed. So detoured accross bristol bridge which in the past when roads are shut they open the bridge to all traffic.

Received a ticket a week or two later which I have appealed and am waiting a response which due to back log etc could be quite awhile.

On 19/03/2024 at 16:55, Hugo said:

Just had mine rejected and was thinking about going to further appeal 

looks to me like 1 bus every 25 minutes so obviously just a cash cow 

Highway Code no entry is a red sighn and that is all you need 

On 19/03/2024 at 18:48, Slippin cider said:

With the greatest respect, the road narrows and there are two big blue signs saying Busses, Taxis and Cycles only. 
How you missed these is beyond me. I think the buss gate is utterly ridiculous and just puts more traffic to the other side of the river! 
I think it’s £35 a go !

Welcome to the morons that are BCC! 

I'm sure they do it just to **** up any City traffic. Didn't know about Busgate , coming back from the airport yesterday, is there any signs saying no through road at the Hotwells end of Cumberland Rd, because we didn't notice it ?

1 hour ago, slartibartfast said:

I'm sure they do it just to **** up any City traffic. Didn't know about Busgate , coming back from the airport yesterday, is there any signs saying no through road at the Hotwells end of Cumberland Rd, because we didn't notice it ?

Yes there are yellow signs that say no through route on the basin .

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

Yes there are yellow signs that say no through route on the basin .

On 23/01/2024 at 11:51, Clinton said:

Complete utter madness by (B c c) to make a part of Cumberland Road a Bus gate. We have just been fined £35 pound whilst working for Bcc and we didn't notice the sign. 

our boy had one this week too, ridiculous thought process there,it was on bbc news thursday night too as sat navs are taking people through it..

sneaky cash cow for more electric buses,they have already nabbed £500k in fines since january,20,000 people gone through it and been issued fines

Bristol bus gate fines top £500k since January - BBC News

• Sad 1

Hi all a general warning to all as I have just received 2x bus gate penalty notices in one week ....the location is Cumberland Road ....I'm a visitor to the area and was aware of the air zone restrictions but thought as I was in the area I'd head for SS Great Britain well the road system is mighty odd and my sat nav( we all rely on them) guided me adequately to the location....however leaving the location as there is construction and diversions and in the melee I missed the tiny sign warning of the 'no left turn on to Cumberland Road' on Gas Ferry Road....this should be a lot bigger...and repeater signs placed alongside the roadside.... its not indicated on sat nav systems yet either.