IGNORED

Joe Williams

Bs4Red

2 minutes ago, ChrisJ said:

Offer him a 1 year deal so when we are promoted next year he can then leave because we can’t have him in The prem with VAR!!!

Though...based on recent performances and if (!) he stays fit, he is worthy of at least a 2 year deal at a minimum Championship level club. Maybe back at Bolton (if they go up) or a Millwall/Preston/Blackburn type club.

City run the risk of losing Williams IMO if we only offer a 1 year deal.

3 minutes ago, Claverham_Red said:

Though...based on recent performances and if (!) he stays fit, he is worthy of at least a 2 year deal at a minimum Championship level club. Maybe back at Bolton (if they go up) or a Millwall/Preston/Blackburn type club.

Whoosh!

• Facepalm 1

8 minutes ago, Claverham_Red said:

I as joking I was saying that if we went up he would get sent off every week cos of var 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, ChrisJ said:

I as joking I was saying that if we went up he would get sent off every week cos of var 

I get that he was lucky last night as that may well have been a red on review, but it’s not like he puts tackles that naughty in every week.

1 minute ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

I wonder if both he and TGH will get a retro ban. Prob not Williams as the ref saw it but TGH was ridiculous, I would discipline for that internally, he could have cost us the game. You have to keep your cool.  

No chance Williams will get a retrospective ban, it wasn’t THAT bad. TGH maybe though, only realised how bad it was when I watched the highlights back, silly really but luckily we got away with a couple tonight

7 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

No chance Williams will get a retrospective ban, it wasn’t THAT bad. TGH maybe though, only realised how bad it was when I watched the highlights back, silly really but luckily we got away with a couple tonight

Williams was booked wasn't he so they can't do anything about that now can they?

• Like 1

Joe needs to be careful. There’s a fragile fine line these days between a good tackle and an aggressive one. Some refs will have seen that last night and have it their minds in future.

As I’ve said before, there’s a difference between what we want the laws to be and what they are.

Joe “Crash Bang” Williams.

And we also have Taylor Gardner-Hitman.

The key to the dark art is to carry it out without being detected or blamed as the instigator. Seems like they’re learning fast.

The Watford players are probably already enquiring about gum-shields and any other available protective measures.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

People still talking about him like he's always injured. He's played 55 games since the start of last season. He had one terrible year of injuries, but the rest of his career has been pretty normal.

He's putting in Marvin Elliott-like performances and has been one of our best players this season. Really hope we sign him up to a new deal. 

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

No chance Williams will get a retrospective ban, it wasn’t THAT bad. 

No it wasn’t.  We have to remember this was a PL side who - as with them all - go down at the merest touch and always try to make any contact look as bad as possible.  I coughed in the first half and Ings fell over.

The ref seemed to tire of their Tom Daley antics in the second half, having given them umpteen soft free kicks in tbe first. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

I saw it at the time and was relieved the ref or linesman missed it. Defo red card, silly. 

10 hours ago, Ron W said:

Always used to think teams who went up from this league had a horrible CDM. A Shaun Derry type.

Not saying we’re going to win the league, but we’ve got that position filled at least.

Finally got his legs back and he’s the player we thought we were buying.

This is they key thing for me.

Before tonight I thought his legs were gone, but in the last few weeks he's found that missing yard of pace - turns out it may have been match sharpness.

1 minute ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

I saw it at the time and was relieved the ref or linesman missed it. Defo red card, silly. 

I think both are reds in the modern game sadly, but Williams one wasn’t properly violent or intentional that anyone would get involved with a retrospective ban

Couldn’t see it earlier in the thread, this is the incident:

For me, that’s a VAR red but not a red if you get my drift. He gets the ball and the ball influences his follow through onto Ings. Slowed down, it looks worse - but I think it’s one that isn’t given as a foul without VAR (as it correctly wasn’t).

Id say we got away with one but more about the moronic way VAR is utilised as opposed to getting away with a bad challenge.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

For me, that’s a VAR red but not a red if you get my drift. He gets the ball and the ball influences his follow through onto Ings. Slowed down, it looks worse - but I think it’s one that isn’t given as a foul without VAR (as it correctly wasn’t).

Id say we got away with one but more about the moronic way VAR is utilised as opposed to getting away with a bad challenge.

With VAR it's an easy red but i actually thought yellow was right he went for the ball and won the ball just unfortunate with the follow through. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

He’s banned for next Friday anyway.

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Baldyman said:

I do believe that after many years we’ve found our new Gerry Gow !!! Starting to remind me so much of our legendary scrapper !! 

And also showing us why we recruited him from Wigan to dominate the defensive and ball winning midfield. Any player in that position is prone to red/yellow cards as a split second mistiming can often happen.

From Ginger Peacock, Gerry Gow, Tommy Doherty we need a like midfielder to go places we haven't been for a very long time.

10 hours ago, old_eastender said:

He could easily have collected a yellow for the challenge on Ings in the 1st half. Great to see the crunching tackles, but he needs to keep them clean. Thought Matty James played well too, calm and assured.

A yellow? He's lucky it wasn't a red (it reminded me of wolves 2017 red card)

You just can't follow through studs up like that any more.  He may take the ball first but it was so reckless.

He's lucky the referee appears to have missed it, and there was no VAR. In a VAR world that's a red 9.5/10.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I agree. For me it’s not a red. 
I actually even think it may not be a red with VAR. 
Usually to satisfy a red there are a few things that need to happen  

A) Is the player out of control  

B) Are there 2 feet off the ground  

C) Are the studs up  

D) Is it a straight leg 

E) Is it over the top of the ball 

None of those definitions are met with Williams’ tackle. 
Its 1-footed, when contact is made with the ball he doesn’t have a straight leg, his studs aren’t showing and it’s not high  

He contacts the ball low, it’s just the angle his foot comes off of the ball which takes his foot higher and into Ings  but the velocity of the tackle has already been taken out of the challenge as the ball was contacted first and took all of the ‘power’ out of the tackle. That wouldn’t have hurt the opponent. 

They compared it to Gusto’s challenge for Chelsea on the post-match analysis. 
For reference, Gusto’s was a yellow. Gusto has a straight leg, studs up and makes no contact with the ball. 

Williams’ tackle was a hard but fair one. And I don’t think VAR sends him off as it hasn’t met any 1 of the 5 thresholds above. 
Both pics below are the point of contact …… 

IMG_4596.jpeg

IMG_4597.jpeg

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

The ball influences because he catches the top of the ball. It's a very very poor challenge in the modern game.

It should have been a red in game. We are fortunate the ref missed it

7 minutes ago, Harry said:

I agree. For me it’s not a red. 
I actually even think it may not be a red with VAR. 
Usually to satisfy a red there are a few things that need to happen  

A) Is the player out of control  

B) Are there 2 feet off the ground  

C) Are the studs up  

D) Is it a straight leg 

E) Is it over the top of the ball 

None of those definitions are met with Williams’ tackle. 
Its 1-footed, when contact is made with the ball he doesn’t have a straight leg, his studs aren’t showing and it’s not high  

He contacts the ball low, it’s just the angle his foot comes off of the ball which takes his foot higher and into Ings  but the velocity of the tackle has already been taken out of the challenge as the ball was contacted first and took all of the ‘power’ out of the tackle. That wouldn’t have hurt the opponent. 

They compared it to Gusto’s challenge for Chelsea on the post-match analysis. 
For reference, Gusto’s was a yellow. Gusto has a straight leg, studs up and makes no contact with the ball. 

Williams’ tackle was a hard but fair one. And I don’t think VAR sends him off as it hasn’t met any 1 of the 5 thresholds above. 
Both pics below are the point of contact …… 

IMG_4596.jpeg

IMG_4597.jpeg

Point of contact is irrelevant.  His foot goes over the top.  It’s dangerous.  It’s a red.