IGNORED

Question About Severnside

Ian M

• Admin

This has been bugging me for a while now, the land they propose to build on at Severnside is at sea-level, on the coast line and prone to flooding at present right?

Well don't most studies claim that these areas will be lost by the year 2033 due to rising sea-levels? Ok defences could be planned but with sea-levels continuing to rise I fear these defences would only work further inland and that coastal areas would be hard to defend against.

Would we be happy with having to find another new stadium just 20/25 years after moving to a new one?

Great point, its a crazy proposal by OUR board.

I am getting really concerned because the longer the board take to not dismiss the idea, the more I I begin to think it will become a reality.

Another side point refering to new catchment area to replace the potential lost supporters. Doesn't the geography of Severnside sort of limit the clubs ability on that score. ie its catchment area is 180 degrees water, the other 180 degrees are arguably already in our current catchment area?

Hmmm, well I live nearby and I honestly wouldn't say it was particuarly prone to flooding.

It IS on a flood plain, but I don't think this land will be lost by anywhere like 2033, otherwise I'd like to bloody know about it!

To be honest the fact its about 10 miles from a nucleur power station gives it more risk :P

I've patented the idea for a new stadium to be built on 200-foot stilts.

It can be moved between south and north Bristol depending on whether city or rovers are home.

The beauty of this is that the ground could still be used in 2150 when most of Bristol will be a coral reef.

Great point, its a crazy proposal by OUR board.

The building of the stadium is not proposed by our board but an external company, we are deciding if we want to be involved.

That said, Madger makes a good point there often seems to be an element of short - sightedness in any building projects surely FLOOD plains are designed to do just that but whole estates are being built on them all the time.

The building of the stadium is not proposed by our board but an external company, we are deciding if we want to be involved.

Splitting hairs a bit, the club have asked our opinion on the proposal. Call me cynical if you want but ultimately the opinions of WE (fans) will count for little.

You are right about sea levels Madger. Over here in East Anglia, it's agreed that flood defences are not stopping the sea, only delaying the inevitable. It has even been proved mathematically, that it is cheaper to move the population of Norfolk to Cornwall than develop any more sea defences! Will Norwich away mean a trip to Truro? :wub:

But this independent company developing the Severnside site, will they let City, gas etc play there free? Of course not, they'll rent it to the users to make a profit for themselves! :) Any routine upkeep of the ground won't be borne by that company, it'll be hidden in our rent.

As an aside Cambs Utd had development done to the Abbey Stadium. They've fallen behind with the payments and have to find £100,000 asap or they'll lose possession of their own ground! ;)

Brainwave! Lower admission prices and more people will be able to afford more games. To make room for larger attendances, rip out those seats and let people stand, I'm sure they'd put up with it! :wub:

Guest WillsbridgeRed

"Call me cynical if you want but ultimately the opinions of WE (fans) will count for little."

Exactly, no one gives a damm about what the fans think untill they stop going and it makes a difference financially

Guest BTR_FTG

Those of you interested in Madger's excellent points might do well to avail yourselves of the Environment Agency website where you might care to look up the OPRA scores et al for the BS35 environs. Personally, I wouldn't be so bothered by the danger of drowning on the floodplain, for I'd never be dumb enough to move there, though from the groundwater & drainage situation there City would bound to lose more games to wet weather. I'd be more concerned as to the amount of heavy metals, toxins, inorganic & organic compounds entering my lungs on the prevailing winds from Avonmouth. Click on one of the inventory sites, see how much mercury, for example, is piped out of the nearby smelter & do the math as to how much would be released in the two hours or so you'll be at the ground. See how some years far more toxins are dumped into the atmosphere as a result of accidental breakdown & leakage. Hope to God that such breakdowns don't occur on Saturday afternoons. Multiply by the number of sites there are southwest of Easter Compton.

Apropos flooding, the proposed & associated developments have already outlined the considerable reworking & additional sea defences that will be required to give a modicum of 'protection' to this area. Of course, as with the Thames estuary & the reworking of the floodplains either side of the Thames barrier, developers can't play Canute. Hold the waters back here, they grow higher elsewhere. So whilst I've been high & dry in Greenwich all these past years, those poor sods further down the river who were prone only to occasional flooding now regularly make use of their wellies. So if you live further up or down the coast, you might like to see what impact schemes such as the ones proposed might have on your dampcourse.

BTR

FTG

Well according to the Local Air Quality Management scheme an area extending 110m either side of the edges of the M4, M5, M32 and M49 Motorways has been set up for assessment.

Pollutants Declared: Nitrogen dioxide (NO2)

I failed science miserably, is that bad?

Guest BTR_FTG

Well that's likely to have removed 300 - 700Kg of mercury from the atmosphere each year, though if you look at Astrazeneca & the rest of them I think you'll soon gauge why upwind of Avonmouth smells like a wrestler's armpit.

BTR

FTG

Archived