IGNORED

Robins Uncut 085

CityReds

1 hour ago, FNQ said:

Looking at those first class training facilities, Scotty boy won’t want to be going back up north.

Burnley training ground, whilst not called a High Perfomance Centre, looks no worse if not better than ours

https://www.barnfieldconstruction.co.uk/portfolio-developments/barnfield-training-centre-for-burnley-fc-padiham/

• Like 1

One thing I think looks different about our set up is the roles of Manning and Hogg.

It has seemed common over the years that the Manager stays slightly away from the players, an has a more serious role, where as the coach is that link between the players and the Manager. 

Looking at these videos, Hogg looks the more serious and business like of the two while Manning is all smiles, chatting and joking with the players. 

19 hours ago, CityReds said:

6:40 onwards, the touch and vision is sublime

Anyone else think he “glides” with the ball like a certain someone. 

Might not replicate it in a match but he looks quite the twinkle toes in those clips.

Edited by George Rs
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

One thing I think looks different about our set up is the roles of Manning and Hogg.

It has seemed common over the years that the Manager stays slightly away from the players, an has a more serious role, where as the coach is that link between the players and the Manager. 

Looking at these videos, Hogg looks the more serious and business like of the two while Manning is all smiles, chatting and joking with the players. 

They can both really play the “bad cop” role, apparently. 

The last head coach/current set up we had, always had two side kicks. I think Hogg and Manning coming as a duo, with Hogg by all accounts being a very good coach (first team coach at Ipswich at 32/33 iirc, don’t get given that unless you’re any good) has given him more more license and authority to be a “leader” even as an assistant. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, petehinton said:

They can both really play the “bad cop” role, apparently. 

The last head coach/current set up we had, always had two side kicks. I think Hogg and Manning coming as a duo, with Hogg by all accounts being a very good coach (first team coach at Ipswich at 32/33 iirc, don’t get given that unless you’re any good) has given him more more license and authority to be a “leader” even as an assistant. 

Forgetting the dynamics with the players, I’m more interested in the dynamic between themselves.  My only question is - do you want your assistant to always be on the same wavelength as you?

Sometimes you might want different thoughts.  Not saying Hogg is a yes man, far from it, but if he sees the game exactly the same as Manning (LM has said at times they are telepathic), is that always best?  I’d like to hear from Hogg at some point.

Just thinking out loud!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Forgetting the dynamics with the players, I’m more interested in the dynamic between themselves.  My only question is - do you want your assistant to always be on the same wavelength as you?

Sometimes you might want different thoughts.  Not saying Hogg is a yes man, far from it, but if he sees the game exactly the same as Manning (LM has said at times they are telepathic), is that always best?  I’d like to hear from Hogg at some point.

Just thinking out loud!

On a broad basis, I think the assistant needs to share the same philosophy as the manager - or you end up with markedly mixed messages (i.e you don’t have Pep being Warnocks assistant). The problem becomes when those philosophies become just mirror images of everything. We know that LM has a very set way he wants to play and we know when he’s failed it’s because (in part) of an intransigence to move away from that. As Hogg was also there at the time, I think it’s reasonable to ask if he challenged that intransigence - as it’s undeniably healthy to do so (whether the strategy is working - as it did at Oxford - or not).

(Note: this is not me bringing up LMs prior sacking to have a go, it is exploring the dynamic between LM and CH. Feel I have to say that qualification at the moment…)

1 minute ago, Silvio Dante said:

On a broad basis, I think the assistant needs to share the same philosophy as the manager - or you end up with markedly mixed messages (i.e you don’t have Pep being Warnocks assistant). The problem becomes when those philosophies become just mirror images of everything. We know that LM has a very set way he wants to play and we know when he’s failed it’s because (in part) of an intransigence to move away from that. As Hogg was also there at the time, I think it’s reasonable to ask if he challenged that intransigence - as it’s undeniably healthy to do so (whether the strategy is working - as it did at Oxford - or not).

(Note: this is not me bringing up LMs prior sacking to have a go, it is exploring the dynamic between LM and CH. Feel I have to say that qualification at the moment…)

Yep, philosophy needs to be the same, but you want to have broader views.  Not saying they don’t, just wondering what that dynamic is.