IGNORED

Parking tickets - near Ashton Inn πŸ˜’

• Admin
1 hour ago, Bow Legged Chicken said:

Long Ashton Park and Ride is free to park (you only pay if you get on the bus.)Β 

Contrary to popular belief it is open long after the end of the game (until midnight I think.)

It is virtually empty and you can park right by the exit for a quick getaway.Β 

Β 

Screenshot_20240121_200129_Samsung Internet.jpg

Ashton Gate brings a stack full of revenue to Bristol. It is a great positive for Bristol as a whole, be that rugby, football (both men and women) or one day, basketball.

Yet the twonks who run our council continue to put genuine effort and creativity into making it as hard as possible for paying customers to get into the city to spend money and contribute economic growth.

If they put a fraction of the effort into (re)opening positives like the Portishead to Ashton railway line as they did to banning cars from ever coming into Bristol, we would have a choice in transport just like every other city in the UK already does.

Good luck with building Bristol on the back of the sneaky Β£1500 you stole in parking tickets this week. Nobs.

• Like 7

I was going to post about this yesterday but thought not..however, as someone else has..WTF is it about people parking on red zones, dumb places, and grass, all risking ticketing, when there are 3500 free parking spaces 50 meters away? You are creating bloody mayhem, because you prevent people filtering, you prevent buses accessing/exiting properly, and it makes no sense? There was somebody yesterday who actually parked blocking the exit of the car park…can anyone explain why??

4 hours ago, Barrs Court Red said:

Which way do people walk back? I’ve been tempted on doing this when the trains aren’t runningΒ 

The walk back includes a very narrow and not well maintained, often covered in wet leaves, pavement and I often wonder if this is the reason the P&R never officially gets mentioned as an option.

I do it every game and for me it’s no problem but I’m not sure what would happen if they encouraged a thousand people to use it then someone was clipped or worse by a passing car on what is a busy dual carriageway with a pavement less than a meter wide in places.

I’m just guessing but they obviously know we use it and have even opened the gates on Sundays for us.Β 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wedontplayinblue said:

I’m not trying to be a dick here, but all those cars are parked on the road which then forces car drivers to have to the bus lane putting themselves at risk of a fine.

How can you park there and think β€œoh yea that’s fine”, regardless of what signs are out.Β 

To be fair, the bus lane has been there even longer than the β€œclearway”, and rightly or wrongly it’s never been enforced. I think that’s probably what annoyed people. (Although it seems to have delighted many people on the instagram that @phantomΒ posted!).

When they started to enforce a parking ban along the bottom of Rownham Hill, many years ago, they did at least leaflet cars for a match or two beforehand to warn people.

I don’t think there’s a high risk of a fine for driving in that bus lane. I don’t believe there’s any camera enforcement. And I believe that β€˜passing an obstruction’ is a reason for being allowed to enter a bus lane. And, from a practical point of view, I don’t think I’ve ever seen a bus in that particular lane!

One game before Christmas there was some serious flooding along that stretch of road. It filled the bus lane with water in several places. People carried on parking regardless, and it forced cars out into the floodwater. That was thoughtless and dangerous. I wonder whether that’s the reason they’ve decided to enforce it now.

Just to add, I don’t park there - so I’ve no vested interest in this! I just drive along that road on my way to games.Β 

33 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

The walk back includes a very narrow and not well maintained, often covered in wet leaves, pavement and I often wonder if this is the reason the P&R never officially gets mentioned as an option.

I do it every game and for me it’s no problem but I’m not sure what would happen if they encouraged a thousand people to use it then someone was clipped or worse by a passing car on what is a busy dual carriageway with a pavement less than a meter wide in places.

It’s a shame people don’t walk on the pavement, walking 2 or even 3 abreast in the road is stupid and asking for an accident to happen!

2 hours ago, redsontour said:

I was going to post about this yesterday but thought not..however, as someone else has..WTF is it about people parking on red zones, dumb places, and grass, all risking ticketing, when there are 3500 free parking spaces 50 meters away? You are creating bloody mayhem, because you prevent people filtering, you prevent buses accessing/exiting properly, and it makes no sense? There was somebody yesterday who actually parked blocking the exit of the car park…can anyone explain why??

He did that at a previous game and I left a note on his (presuming his) windscreen to give a one word explanation of what I thought of his parking choice, but it rained and will have been a soggy mess by the time he returned.

• Admin
13 hours ago, Mad Cyril said:

Yet the twonks who run our council continue to put genuine effort and creativity into making it as hard as possible for paying customers to get into the city to spend money and contribute economic growth.

Worth remembering that this is North Somerset County Council

12 hours ago, East End Old Boy said:

It’s a shame people don’t walk on the pavement, walking 2 or even 3 abreast in the road is stupid and asking for an accident to happen!

That's the problem, when you've got loads of people walking back there'll be some going at snails pace and others in a rush and there's little room for maneuver.

I'm guilty of the occasional overtake off the pavement and to be fair cars don't seem to get too close to the pavement.

Used to live on Britain’s first and only Red Route- the bit of the A1 in N London at the Archway/ Holloway Rd.

About as far removed from the road in the photo as it’s possible to imagine.

And shouldn’t there be red double yellow lines on the carriageway?

Edited by Bedred31

6 minutes ago, Bedred31 said:

Used to live on Britain’s first and only Red Route- the bit of the A1 in N London at the Archway/ Holloway Rd.

About as far removed from the road in the photo as it’s possibly to imagine.

And if you think that’s slightly less β€˜urban’ than red routes are intended to be used in, try the nearby ones North Somerset has imposed, up through the woods towards Failand, for example!

That’s a good point about the red lines. It’s really hard to find any official guidance on the rules covering red routes, other than rules that specifically apply in London. But this article would seem to suggest that there’s a requirement for red lines.

Grounds for appeal?

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/tips-advice/352429/what-clearway-urban-clearways-clearways-and-red-routes-explained

17 hours ago, phantom said:

I hope that’s more than just a footpath he’s cycling on!

I get the P&R from Brislington these days, it means it takes about 90 mins to get to AG (from about 10 miles away…) but parking just isn’t worth it. This is β€œprogress” I suppose.

Edited by luke_bristol

4 minutes ago, luke_bristol said:

I get the P&R from Brislington these days, it means it takes about 90 mins to get to AG (from about 10 miles away…) but parking just isn’t worth it. This is β€œprogress” I suppose.

And I hope he/she is concentrating on where they’re going and what’s ahead.Β 

17 minutes ago, Bedred31 said:

About as far removed from the road in the photo as it’s possible to imagine.

Edit to my post above - just found this, which is official, and which suggests that the red lines aren’t required. See item no 8.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2016/362/schedule/7/made?view=plain

2 hours ago, ralphindevon said:

That's the problem, when you've got loads of people walking back there'll be some going at snails pace and others in a rush and there's little room for maneuver.

I'm guilty of the occasional overtake off the pavement and to be fair cars don't seem to get too close to the pavement.

The other option is to turn back on yourself on reaching the railway crossing at the entrance to Ashton Vale and follow the wide pavement that follows the busway all the way back to the park and ride. It takes 2 or 3 mins longer, but almost deserted apart from the occasional dog walker.Β 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Parkwaymom said:

The other option is to turn back on yourself on reaching the railway crossing at the entrance to Ashton Vale and follow the wide pavement that follows the busway all the way back to the park and ride. It takes 2 or 3 mins longer, but almost deserted apart from the occasional dog walker.Β 

More than just the "occasional" dog walker, surely?

Hordes of them, making their way to the village green just beyond the park and ride?Β πŸ˜‚

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, italian dave said:

And if you think that’s slightly less β€˜urban’ than red routes are intended to be used in, try the nearby ones North Somerset has imposed, up through the woods towards Failand, for example!

Β 

Went up Clarken Coombe the other day and couldn't believe how many trees have been cut down at the roadside.

In the many hundreds at a minimum - no idea what the reason is but they can't all have been diseased Ash.

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Went up Clarken Coombe the other day and couldn't believe how many trees have been cut down at the roadside.

In the many hundreds at a minimum - no idea what the reason is but they can't all have been diseased Ash.

Yes, a scene of devastation, isn't it.

Mostly ash disease, apparently. Along with a small number of dead elm trees.

Edited by italian dave
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Mad Cyril said:

Ashton Gate brings a stack full of revenue to Bristol. It is a great positive for Bristol as a whole, be that rugby, football (both men and women) or one day, basketball.

If they put a fraction of the effort into (re)opening positives like the Portishead to Ashton railway line as they did to banning cars from ever coming into Bristol, we would have a choice in transport just like every other city in the UK already does.

Good luck with building Bristol on the back of the sneaky Β£1500 you stole in parking tickets this week. Nobs.

If we or the bears or god forbid the gas got promoted to the prem / fa cup final etc etc , Β bears being top of the premiership or get to a major cup final , mark my words the council and all who make it so difficult to do anything in this city suddenly jump on the back of the success and milk it to deathΒ 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, redkev said:

If we or the bears or god forbid the gas got promoted to the prem / fa cup final etc etc , Β bears being top of the premiership or get to a major cup final , mark my words the council and all who make it so difficult to do anything in this city suddenly jump on the back of the success and milk it to deathΒ 

Yep.

Can visualise that *** Rees addressing a packed College Green from whatever the Council House is called now, claiming some civic credit for anything positive that might happen

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Natchfever said:

Yep.

Can visualise that *** Rees addressing a packed College Green from whatever the Council House is called now, claiming some civic credit for anything positive that might happen

Exactly can see it now

9 hours ago, ralphindevon said:

The safe route is via the metro line footpath. Cross Winterstoke Road at the crossings at the end of Marsh Road, immediate left after the railway line. Follow it round. Its 2km (I walk it a lot). Might be too far for some, and obs further than the quick route, which is probably nearer 1.3km max.

• Like 1

Its nothing to do with health and Safety it is purely a revenue generating exersize Supporters used to be able to park all over the cumberland basin and there seemed to be less accidents back then as the cars slowed down when passing the parked cars ..

Can cars park in the Manheim Vehicle Auction site on Ashton Vale Rd ? They have a hugh car park there,Β  If not the Club ought to rent it out for supporters and concert goers to use at a minimal cost

On 21/01/2024 at 15:05, redkev said:

Totally understand they can charge what they want but I wish the sporting public would stick 2 fingers up and say stick your parking up your arse ,Β 

A lot of the fans that park in there now are away fans who don't know how much it is until it's too late, they stopped advertising how much it is on the road outside ages ago. I agree anybody from Bristol should know what a rip-off it is it's even worse on Balloon Fiesta, and Ashton Gate concert nights, I believe it's Β£50 then.Β 

On 21/01/2024 at 20:44, Mad Cyril said:

That road is in North Somerset.

On 21/01/2024 at 17:32, phantom said:

People have, to my knowledge, been parking there for matches for over 40 years and probably much longer. Β Whilst the rules have obviously changed, a sensible thing for the council to have done is to stick notices on each car saying that it is now illegal to park here and it will be enforced from the next game. Β 

Edited by YorksRed