IGNORED

Our next 4 league fixtures

Wokingham Red

9 hours ago, Wokingham Red said:

30th Jan - Coventry (a)

2nd Feb - Leeds (H)

10th Feb - Middlesbrough (a)

13th Feb - Southampton (H)

Four very tough games in a short period of time. If we can come out of these still within 6 points of the playoffs that would be a great platform to maybe make a late charge. We lose them all and then it's another season of mediocrity confirmed. The optimist in me says that 5 points out of this lot would be a good outcome but it will be a very tough ask; especially the next two.

Another 2 sell outs , if that’s any consolation 🤷

On 22/01/2024 at 10:34, Numero Uno said:

The issue in comparison to the previous three games we won is, imo, at least three of those teams are good enough to have a go at us and batter us if we don't turn up. If someone offered me four points from those four games and no need to play them I would snap their hand off.......maybe I should have more faith, we'll see!!

Yeah 4 points be good. I am.mot sure I see it mind but who knows

Friday anything could happen, we must not let the cup game effect our league results.

• Hmmm 1

On 22/01/2024 at 12:32, IAmNick said:

And none of them are worse than Millwall and Blackburn who we've lost to in the last month or so.

What's your point?

The point is there is no point completely dismissing those games purely on the basis of the opposition's league position and/or form. It often doesn't work like that, especially in the Championship. And it does seem to suit us better playing against opposition who are on paper superior and play with more intent to win. When we beat Middlesborough earlier in the season, they were on a run of 1 defeat in 12 at the time.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

The point is there is no point completely dismissing those games purely on the basis of the opposition's league position and/or form. It often doesn't work like that, especially in the Championship. And it does seem to suit us better playing against opposition who are on paper superior and play with more intent to win. When we beat Middlesborough earlier in the season, they were on a run of 1 defeat in 12 at the time.

Not to dismiss them off course, but I don't think 1 win against West Ham changes anything.

And in the rest - do we?

In the last few years we've faired far, far better against the teams near the bottom and really struggled against the ones near the top.

Of all our games against the top 6 this year I think we've won 1, drawn 1, and lost all the others.

Against the bottom 6 we've won 2 drawn 3.

Do I don't think the stats really back up what you're saying.

21 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

Not to dismiss them off course, but I don't think 1 win against West Ham changes anything.

And in the rest - do we?

In the last few years we've faired far, far better against the teams near the bottom and really struggled against the ones near the top.

Of all our games against the top 6 this year I think we've won 1, drawn 1, and lost all the others.

Against the bottom 6 we've won 2 drawn 3.

Do I don't think the stats really back up what you're saying.

One game at a time!!!!

• Robin 1

Leeds isn’t as much as a write off as people think for me, as good as they are their away form has been patchy for a while. The two worrying ones for me are Southampton and Coventry due to the form they’re both in. Middlesbrough tough aswell, we’ve shown we can get results there but their home record has been good under Carrick

I think the broader question is not what we’ll get but the impact of any haul (and perhaps equally, the performances).

Theres a thread on the page about 16 points in 13 games. If that becomes 16 points in 17 games things don’t look smart and the wolves may be at the door.

The fact is, that all four sides are probably better than us, notwithstanding the wins against Cov and Boro. (fwiw historic record as it always does here means nothing, it’s really this season and more appropriately current form that matters). So it is in a lot of ways a free hit - most rationale observers don’t see us in the playoff mix so 4 points looks a decent haul. But that again, perceptionally, becomes 20 points in 17 games (or 20 in 37% of a season), which is flirting with relegation form.

So, I’d argue that absent a markedly above expectations haul, the questions will continue. If we had 20 points from 17 games at season start people would be questioning the manager. So the expectation has to be the same here considering the start point.

I’ll reiterate at this point LMs position shouldn’t be in question, and I’d take 4 points from these games encompassed with a consistent improvement in performance. But when you look at the numbers - if 37% of a season gives you borderline relegation form when LM was appointed after 32% of a season on promotion form, it’s hard not to ask those questions!

• Flames 1

On 22/01/2024 at 10:02, Wokingham Red said:

30th Jan - Coventry (a)

2nd Feb - Leeds (H)

10th Feb - Middlesbrough (a)

13th Feb - Southampton (H)

Four very tough games in a short period of time. If we can come out of these still within 6 points of the playoffs that would be a great platform to maybe make a late charge. We lose them all and then it's another season of mediocrity confirmed. The optimist in me says that 5 points out of this lot would be a good outcome but it will be a very tough ask; especially the next two.

Good outcome it would be miraculous.

24 minutes ago, Mad Cyril said:

If we beat Leeds, we should get a mural in the concourse.

And in 30 years time Liam Manning and 4 of the players that can be arsed to turn up will be paraded around the pitch as the highlights are played on the big screen.

Why do so many come at it like we’re a premier league parachute team?

Reality is we’re a mid table championship club at best who will get raided for best players to stay a float.

When was the last time we troubled the playoffs (not including L1) 

Unlikely to go down or up - we’ll win some lose some - enjoy the ride & let’s hope the board back Liam for next season.

• Like 2

liam and his assistant need to concentrate on their relationships with the players, they do have a decent squad who can do it but they need to create that team spirit and togetherness that cotts did that year. shouldnt be too hard as it was already in place and its only the coaches that need to fit into the players team instead of the other way round which normally happens with a manager change, 

20 hours ago, Jeez said:

Why do so many come at it like we’re a premier league parachute team?

Reality is we’re a mid table championship club at best who will get raided for best players to stay a float.

When was the last time we troubled the playoffs (not including L1) 

Unlikely to go down or up - we’ll win some lose some - enjoy the ride & let’s hope the board back Liam for next season.

Well adjusted point. 07/08 was incredible and the wave of excitement at being back in the championship propelled us nearly to the prem, we knew we were not the big boys and that us vs them mentality made us a a strong and difficult team to play against and a united club

we have been chasing that high ever since but with it has come a huge surge in the expectations of the fans and with that comes an arrogance and entitlement that I don’t think has gone away, even with a chastening relegation in between our long stay in the championship 

first 16 years of my city supporting career we spent 15 of them in league one. Being an established championship club for much to the subsequent 15 years has been a good return. In reality there are only a limited number of ways a club kicks on from here and only a limited number of clubs who do it

1. Perennial up and downers - pots of cash from parachute payments and top league experience

2. Long term projects getting it right over a sustained period of time to finally make it over the line

3. surprise packages fromnowhere making it up for a season maybe two

4. financially doped to achieve number 3 - rarely works out

we will never now be number 3 as we have established our base camp in the championship and number 1 can only be achieved after succeeding at number 2.

we are probably firmly in the number 2 area and you’ve got to kiss a lot of frogs to get there, and when I look at my first 16 years that’s what makes me comfortable with where we are. this is the most sustainable way to get to the top flight and clearly what our owners try to do with their rinse and repeat strategy. Are they capable of getting it right? I don’t know but I fear any sale in this day and age only invites people interested in number 4 and can only look at the likes of reading to see how that works out.

abridged version: I like the championship, and being stuck in it is better than being stuck in league 1. Back the team and the new ideas and let’s see where it takes us

1 hour ago, Fjmcity said:

Well adjusted point. 07/08 was incredible and the wave of excitement at being back in the championship propelled us nearly to the prem, we knew we were not the big boys and that us vs them mentality made us a a strong and difficult team to play against and a united club

we have been chasing that high ever since but with it has come a huge surge in the expectations of the fans and with that comes an arrogance and entitlement that I don’t think has gone away, even with a chastening relegation in between our long stay in the championship 

first 16 years of my city supporting career we spent 15 of them in league one. Being an established championship club for much to the subsequent 15 years has been a good return. In reality there are only a limited number of ways a club kicks on from here and only a limited number of clubs who do it

1. Perennial up and downers - pots of cash from parachute payments and top league experience

2. Long term projects getting it right over a sustained period of time to finally make it over the line

3. surprise packages fromnowhere making it up for a season maybe two

4. financially doped to achieve number 3 - rarely works out

we will never now be number 3 as we have established our base camp in the championship and number 1 can only be achieved after succeeding at number 2.

we are probably firmly in the number 2 area and you’ve got to kiss a lot of frogs to get there, and when I look at my first 16 years that’s what makes me comfortable with where we are. this is the most sustainable way to get to the top flight and clearly what our owners try to do with their rinse and repeat strategy. Are they capable of getting it right? I don’t know but I fear any sale in this day and age only invites people interested in number 4 and can only look at the likes of reading to see how that works out.

abridged version: I like the championship, and being stuck in it is better than being stuck in league 1. Back the team and the new ideas and let’s see where it takes us

You talk about number 2 but as you well know just as we seem to be on the cusp of building something along come Bournemouth etc to tempt our best players away and it starts again. I think the only way we will ever do it is if the planets align and we somehow shock everybody including ourselves and finally do it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pillred said:

You talk about number 2 but as you well know just as we seem to be on the cusp of building something along come Bournemouth etc to tempt our best players away and it starts again. I think the only way we will ever do it is if the planets align and we somehow shock everybody including ourselves and finally do it.

A good point, I guess you have to keep the conveyor moving successfully which is harder to do relying solely on the academy like us now as this takes longer. Probably why “moneyball” got Brentford where they are and how great succession playing can pay off like Brentford. Good examples of what we could be but owners have obviously been much more competent at doing it than ours!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, pillred said:

The likeliest way to go up, although a huge risk, would be to spend heavy, hoping for Prem riches, thereby avoiding ffp sanctions.

Not likely really is it.

• Like 1