IGNORED

City Bar

Yozzarian

Renewed disappointment this evening with the management of the bar at Ashton Gate. You have a big FA Cup tie and an essentially sold out ground and what do you do? You close off half of the bar because you're preparing it for the fine dining experience at the big rugby derby tomorrow. Also failing to impress was the battle one lady had getting a chair for her elderly relative who I overheard mentioning he had a heart issue (this was eventually rectified).

My friends and I do all meet after each game for one or two drinks but all agree we don't feel overly welcomed and that it's a huge, missed opportunity. When it first opened I assumed the club would push for it to be the go-to place to watch televised football every weekend, at the very least that it would stay open on match days until usual pub closing times. As it is, the screen is often turned off before the completion of a 5.30pm kick-off, you're lucky if the sound is on and time at the bar is called barely two drinks in. It all screams of a ball dropped. What happened to the banging carvary on Sundays that they ran for barely a few months? No ones coming? Hammer the marketing or get a PR firm in that knows how to get bums on seats. I'd happily pay into my club for a great roast and Super Sunday. With regards to tonight, I've no issue with them having to prepare for another sell-out less than a day later but why not pay staff to start the preparations later on? It was overly crowded due to the space being halved and uncomfortable.

I like the place overall. It's much better than before when we didn't have the facility. It just feels a little amateur at times.  

20240126_220649.jpg

1 minute ago, steviestevieneville said:

🙄 first world problems .

I mean, football is first world problems if you want to go down that path. We are all invested in our club doing well and enjoying the match day experience. Think the above was fair commentary tbh but respect to other opinions.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, candygram for mongo said:

When it first opened me and the lads I go with went in there every game, we haven’t been in there for a few years now.

Prefer to drink in The Orchard, can get a seat most times and drink reasonably priced beer/cider and get a Clark’s pie on the way.

We'd probably sack it off completely and do something similar accept there's now an extended group of old-boys that we like to catch-up with who show their faces. 

To be fair to the OP, when it first opened, the Sports Bar was just that, and then it changed....

It's 60% food - if you can get a table - and hospitality over-flow. It ceased being a meeting point and an extension to the Fanzone when the general going-got-a-bit-better.

Fair enough, it probably turns a fair coin, but if you want to meet your mates or have a pint, go to a pub.

• Like 1