IGNORED

Coventry City away match thread

First half thoughts…..

I would suggest that even a neutral would feel that we were unlucky to be one down after the opening 25 minutes of that game.

The goal we conceded was really shocking, the hoofed ball into our box was reminiscent of Long Ashton reserves yet we couldn’t defend it and conceded a very sloppy goal which was very much against the run of play.

The one time we delivered a quality ball into the box resulted in Rob Dickie scoring and justifiably we are all square at half time.

We definitely need to improve on our delivery from corners and free kicks which has generally been very below par, and, as mentioned by some of us, on a regular basis, our throw ins are woeful.

AM has looked the weakest link in the team for me, too often making poor decisions when well placed.

Overall some neat and composed football without (as usual) having that little bit of extra quality in the final third.

Coventry look slick when they are moving forward with O’Hare and Sakamoto being afforded too much space on occasions.

Overall a decent half from us against a team in excellent form, we managed four corners and four shots on target.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

We definitely started the game as the better team. Didn't take our chances. That then allowed Coventry to get a fortunate goal. Our performance then dipped and then we improved towards the end of the half slightly and then got the goal when it looked like we'd be going into the break 1 nil down. 

I’d probably go with this. Thought we were better first 5, then they came back. Took advantage (territorial without threatening) after Sheaf went off and the goal marginally against the run. They were then on top for ten-fifteen and we scored after great work from Cam to force the corner pre build up.

Id call it an even half, but we don’t look overly threatening on the whole.

3 minutes ago, Bs4Red said:

This thread is very funny. I thought we’d been excellent this half. Deserved our goal without a doubt. 

Plus some doubt as to whether the ball was out of play in the build up to their goal.

Sure we have had previous with Leigh Doughty, seems to be giving them nearly every marginal decision.

Think we started really well & would have been unlucky to have been behind at the break.

5 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

I feel a bit meaner saying that about Bell, I think cos he didn’t cost a million quid. But you’re right. I’d rather have Martyn Woolford than either of them. 

He was alright in the end if I recall, after a rocky start. According to the song anyway

Just now, Jose said:

Didn’t you like him to Neil Kilkenny? That’s not going early that’s ludicrous. 

If he was signed as an attacking midfielder then not for the first time our recruitment team need their head looking at as that isn’t his game. He’s still a really good player but I do struggle to see where he fits at times. Definitely needs to improve in the final third ( as the whole team do) 

No I didn't liken him to Mr Point and Smirk but I agree with the rest of your post.

2 minutes ago, Dolman Block B said:

Great header by RD

But FFS can’t the owners see that’s just what we need?

A big horrible lump up front getting on the end of crosses from TGH and ST

That could change our season 

I think it further proves the opposite, get a decent ball in and look what we can do... the problem is our supply

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Decent half for us. Defence and midfield are playing well, the front three look a bit lost or like strangers though. Mehmeti seemingly reverted to his former self.

But at least their making decisions on their own unlike the ref who seems to consult with the Coventry fans before any call.

Maybe do a Roberts for Mehmeti and push Pring forward?

Ps. What a shite ground for atmosphere.

I’ve tried not to be too harsh on Meh-meti. But that’s exactly what he is, meh. I don’t think I’ve actually seen him beat his man. Not good enough, sorry.  Excellent first half though. 

• Like 1

I can say it was looking decent this half. Their first goal was avoidable. Pring was clumsy, he is sometimes on defense but on attack he looks better and better. Mehmeti has talent in his foot but the brain says otherwise, I really hope he can become a smarter player at some point, he remainds me of Ivan Sproule which was not so effective but at times he was beating hard the defenders with that explosive pace without impact in the end because the ball will go into the stands.

I want Conway in and let's hope someone provides good passes for him because he really do good runs a lot of times. I don't see Coventry a better team than us but maybe with proper management we can go past them in the League table soon.

COYR ! 

• Like 2

I know City are frustrating in the final 3rd, but for perspective, we're ahead 7-3 for shots, 4-2 for on target, 4-0 for corners.

We're away from home against a well oiled side. 

Surely Cov fans are more frustrated than we are!

• Like 1

First half of I don’t know what! 🤣

Started really well, got some “sighters” in, nice build-up play, and actually passed the ball between the lines in Cov’s third.  Bit wasteful with that final pass, Knight especially, and we rued that when Sakamoto scored.  Pring has to do better, simples.

But we did fight back, Pring run and shot, a few corners, before a recycled ball from a corner, a beautiful delivery from TGH, deja vu, Dickie header, just like the home game.

City deservedly level, the better team…but the big question is can we emerge from the dressing room and start well.  We can’t let Cov off the hook here.  We should be going on to win from here, or at least be in the ascendancy even if we can’t force a winner.

Mehmeti making a few wrong choices, Knight wasteful.  Bell not really been in it.  Everyone else decent.

Here we go!

• Like 4
12 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Crikey, you sound like that bloody Ellie Jones. 

Can't stand listening to her. On one of the pods once she referred to a player as "that coloured player" 

How she gets on further pods and RB I don't know. RB even had her join them in the press box after the Forest game. 

We have so many intelligent fans and they constantly call upon the likes of Ellie Jones and Tony Wilkins. Pretty sure shes friends with Tony actually which explains a lot. 

Edited by W-S-M Seagull
Just now, mozo said:

I know City are frustrating in the final 3rd, but for perspective, we're ahead 7-3 for shots, 4-2 for on target, 4-0 for corners.

Yes and that’s the most frustrating part. We are not putting them away.

2 minutes ago, mozo said:

Oi, we will have less of that on here. We could be looking at relegation this season if we keep playing like this......

10 minutes ago, Hocca said:

Conway on at half time surely , Wells struggling with the pace of play these days and I’m sick of his constant fouls.

That is one thing that has always annoyed me with Wells.

Fouling defenders defenders when they are facing their own goal. Looks like a throw in to us shove from Naki freekick to them.