IGNORED

Coventry City away match thread

7 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

I said pre game that 4 from 4 would have been an acceptable return (predicated on us playing well) and with 1 from 1, we’re on track. So I’m not unhappy overall.

But…

- I think Cov were below par and a bit there for the taking 

- The reason we didn’t was the wide men. Anis was abysmal, and I didn’t see any real threat until we went 2 up top. The real positive for me there was that it was LM trying to impact a game - the prior subs were scheduled and passive 

- Yes, absolutely Max should save the second. I think had we played more front foot earlier it wouldn’t be a factor but it was

Overall, fine. But I think being braver we could have had more.

Good to score more than 0 or 1.

Need to spend more minutes with two up top.

Mehmeti & Cornick need to be removed from the wage bill asap..frame it however you like,, bottom line not up to standard.

• Like 4
On 29/01/2024 at 18:05, CodeRed said:

I would never use a VPN but a " friend" uses windscribe ( as recommended by our own Davfevs) , simple to download, there's a free version which allows you to stream about 4 games a month if you don't start until just before ko and log off at FT. The pay version is from memory about £50-£60 per year and is unlimited.

Once you have downloaded windscribe an icon will appear on your desktop/ or phone...you can load it on both ......open the app, turn it on and set the location to anywhere outside of the UK eg Frankfurt., then sign in to Bristol Sport and RTV and the game will be available to buy.  The game appears on RTV about 30 mins before ko, click on the screen not the white play arrow and it should start playing.

I was a VPN virgin until last night, but following your advice I took my first trip to Frankfurt to watch a game and it was a very satisfactory experience. Thanks again for the helpful tips to you and the other guys on the thread who shared useful information. Excellent! 👍 (Shame about the equaliser.)

• Like 3

Reasons for optimism BCFC fans.  

Sky Blues were under par, but you looked more like winning.  The difference between this game and our game against Leicester was startling.  Your team were well drilled. 
I was beginning to feel like a Sunderland fan when you scored to go 2-1 up. It was not a good game to watch. BCFC pressed well, both teams lost the ball easily and you put in better shots on goal. It felt like you were going to win and we got out of jail.  

Good to see your travelling faithful.  I think both sets of fans struggled to get behind their teams. Our first goal celebration was muted, probably because we expected your defenders to clear it.  Flat midweek game that felt more like a 0-0 than 2-2.

A couple of wins and you will be near the play-offs.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Considering that a lot of people weren't expecting much from last night i thought we put in a really good performance, we made it difficult for Coventry, once they scored I thought it would be important how we reacted and we reacted well got a deserved goal and i thought we were the better team in 2nd half, The signs are there they we have a very good coach who is getting his ideas across, there are still some players who don't quiet fit his style or cant be put in their correct positions until he can get players who do suit it better and compliment those players. 

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, flying fokker said:

Good to see your travelling faithful.  I think both sets of fans struggled to get behind their teams. Our first goal celebration was muted, probably because we expected your defenders to clear it.  

Weird for me was how the songs of both fans sounded too similar.

"sky blue army" sounds exactly like "cider army". You've got a Knight and we've got a Knight. You sing about "City" and we sang about "City". It just felt like neither set of fans could get the songs going as there was a bit of confusion.

23 minutes ago, flying fokker said:

A couple of wins and you will be near the play-offs.  

Please. Don't feed the delusion that we're a top 6 team.

I like Mehmeti, will get better with some game time and fitness. Defenders start back pedalling when he is on the ball. Let's give him some time.

Cornick - a sub at best, I agree - we should look to move him on. Seb Palmer-Houlden could do the same job who is on loan at Newport, he runs and runs and runs.

• Like 1

How many fans did we take up there last night ? The cov fans are all criticising us saying poorest turn out all season.  With the game being re-arranged, long time since last pay day, so many games in a short space of time, its a ground most of us have already been too i admire the ones who went fair play to them

28 minutes ago, DirtySanchez said:

I like Mehmeti, will get better with some game time and fitness. Defenders start back pedalling when he is on the ball. Let's give him some time.

Cornick - a sub at best, I agree - we should look to move him on. Seb Palmer-Houlden could do the same job who is on loan at Newport, he runs and runs and runs.

He's also very physical, just what we need up top.

55 minutes ago, flying fokker said:

Good to see your travelling faithful.

Small miracle - the "CBS Arena" has to be the worst away ground in the EFL all things considered and that's a hill I'm prepared to die on.

Even in the bowl stakes worse than Stoke and Derby and marginally worse than even Reading. Such a shame as Coventry is a great place with some fantastic historic boozers and as home support goes Coventry's is a match for anyone in the Championship on its day, but seriously a ground in the absolute middle of nowhere with zero transport in 2024. Even Reading have managed that one now.

Add in it either doesn't get home fans through the turnstiles very quickly or there isn't enough room outside to queue up so people are squeezing past the end of queues just to get around the ground, and that every year they seem to spend the game hauling large Gaza style metal barriers into place everywhere outside for after, which seems to irritate home fans just as much as it does away fans.

I am at about 70-something of 92 these days and honestly there's not a ground in the EFL I less look forward to visiting, even allowing for our purple patch going there in the 2000's. Like I said, no slight on the atmosphere, Coventry fans make a decent amount of noise for an identikit bowl (certainly far more than Stoke or Reading have ever managed in theirs) but it's an absolutely painful day out.

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, westonred said:

How many fans did we take up there last night ? The cov fans are all criticising us saying poorest turn out all season.  With the game being re-arranged, long time since last pay day, so many games in a short space of time, its a ground most of us have already been too i admire the ones who went fair play to them

there would have to bean least 900 or maybe more. This going by the goal highlights I watched today.

12 hours ago, WessexPest said:

Twine would’ve made the difference there I reckon. Still wasting far too many corners and FKs in tasty positions. Mehmeti had an absolute stinker, and Max has to take the blame for their equaliser. Pring immense again though.

I’d’ve certainly taken a point prematch given Cov’s form but that feels like another two points dropped. Hopefully we can do a bit last-gasp business before window closes.

Perhaps if there is not hope of signing a good striker today, which personally I doubt, then why not recall Palmer-Holden back from Newport if we can. He was very physical upfront against United and who knows may get some goals. Surely Championship experience is better than playing in L2. could turn out to be a Semenyo type and probably more mobile and more use on the bench than Cornick.

47 minutes ago, EstoniaTallinnRed said:

The Maidstone goalie looked good (Brazilian as well, even though he's 32. not old for a goalie) and wants to play in the Championship. Just a thought!

He also had a lot of slices of luck thanks to the woodwork when he was beaten. How many other matches have you seen him in ?

You may be right and he is better than Max but I’ve seen O’Leary make plenty more saves for us than I’ve seen the Maidstone keeper make.

At 32 if he was deemed better than Max by the footballing community then I’d suggest he wouldn’t be playing for Maidstone right now.

One good game live on tv isn’t enough for scouting purposes.

11 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Don’t worry, I’m on tomorrow morning’s show, so you’ll get another perspective! 😉

Agree we were good early on.

But…

Coventry made a tweak on about 23 minutes.  Latibaudiere, who’d come on for Sheaf after 11 minutes, into the centre of midfield, started dropping in between Collins and Kitching in the first phase of build-up, and they got Bidwell and Van “Ewok” further forward, pushing us back.  When we had the ball he stayed in midfield.  I’m not saying that was a directly responsible for the goal, but it got Cov a bit of territory.  Because we’d swarmed them up to then.  They got their goal a few minutes later, had a good spell, but in fairness we wrestled back control heading towards half-time, and deservedly equalised.  But it’s another case of the level of quality of opposition managers in the Champ to make tweaks and impact the game.

That's an interesting observation and a good shout. 

Obviously, it's impossible to say if had Sakamoto not carved a goal out from almost nothing, whether we would have continued our domination of the first half or if Cov had genuinely turned the tide. 

On a slightly different note, I thought that without the ball our shape was really good, and we did bloody well to keep Palmer, O'Hare and Sakamoto quiet for most of the match.

Edited by mozo
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, westonred said:

Not all Coventry fans are critical, the irony is that a Bristol Rovers fan is critical and we all know how massive they are...

image.thumb.png.0bf207fa99fc0cd0384e77ffbfa43518.png

• Like 1
2 hours ago, DirtySanchez said:

Mehmeti is not for me, I can’t see any improvement since his first game, indeed he seems to have gone backward.

HIs defending is comical and going forward he is easy to predict, rarely providing the crosses that Wells and Conway could thrive on.

Cornick for me is a better option than Bell, he gives us some physical presence, and some height which we sadly lack beyond the defenders.

I think Bell is being played out of position consistently, throughout his time at City he has been an out and out forward, often in tandem with Tommy, now he is a shadow of the player who was banging goals in for fun at U21 and Youth level before getting in the first team squad, I genuinely fear for his future at the club.

While I’m on a rant I think with Twine and Sykes replacing Bell and Mehmeti we could be a decent side, a big striker option and a goalkeeper to compete with Max and I think we could be a very decent side indeed.