IGNORED

Emotion is the key

Liam Manning talks about keeping emotions in check , not getting too high or too low during a game whilst I don’t want to see a team of hotheads I do however want ‘ emotion ‘ in my players. 
Emotion is what gives an athlete that extra yard or the desire to stop an opponent at all costs.

Emotion is what fires up a crowd and binds them to the human beings representing their club. 

Emotion feeds dreams and visions. 

Have we lost something in football as coaches and administrators sap the joy out of the game. We used to go to games to let off steam. We shared the highs and lows, the beer breath , woodbines and a good sing song. Now we are customers who must sit down, mind your language and conform to the modern image of the sport. 
I fear that Mr Manning has reduced our squad with his coaching as our lads are not world beaters but good honest players who bought into the spirit generated by the previous manager. He needs to be freer and more spontaneous to release the creativity in the team. IMHO. 

• Like 6
  • Flames 3
  • Robin 1

To be honest, I don’t like the phrase and LM is a bit “buzzword bingo” but all I think it is would be the modern equivalent of “It’s still nil nil lads” - play your game and don’t get overly drawn into the situation. 

Not to my taste but understand what he means.

As for whether LM has made us more passive/regressed us that’s a whole wider conversation….

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

To be honest, I don’t like the phrase and LM is a bit “buzzword bingo” but all I think it is would be the modern equivalent of “It’s still nil nil lads” - play your game and don’t get overly drawn into the situation. 

Not to my taste but understand what he means.

As for whether LM has made us more passive/regressed us that’s a whole wider conversation….

My concern is that everything is “textbook” rule-based football. Do the players have the freedom to break those rules? To take risks? Does the manager have the creativity to break or bend his own way of doing it? 
LM keeps talking “bravery”… personally,  I havens seen much of it. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Mendip City said:

My concern is that everything is “textbook” rule-based football. Do the players have the freedom to break those rules? To take risks? Does the manager have the creativity to break or bend his own way of doing it? 
LM keeps talking “bravery”… personally,  I havens seen much of it. 

Oh I agree it’s textbook and overly so. I’ve been consistent from the first games that a big concern of mine was LMs inability/unwillingness to deviate from the textbook and manage/change things in game (counter the counter). To be fair he did that last night but only after a totally formulaic and pre planned sub. I don’t think he’s “instinctive” if you see what I mean. And if we work on teams being reflections of managers, then yeah, that does feed into a lack of “instinctive” (or brave) football.

Again, avoidance of doubt no issue with result/performance last night in isolation or with the language, but I’m not seeing anything 14 league games in overall that shows marked deviation from the initial concerns.

• Like 1

Have you seen the faces and arm waving of some premiership managers when they equalise late in the game or score what could be a winner? It's trying to get across to the players to keep calm and see the game out..... aka keeping their emotions in check, if we did that last night and didn't switch off at the throw in that led to the equaliser we come away with 3 points. 

59 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Liam Manning talks about keeping emotions in check , not getting too high or too low during a game whilst I don’t want to see a team of hotheads I do however want ‘ emotion ‘ in my players. 
Emotion is what gives an athlete that extra yard or the desire to stop an opponent at all costs.

Emotion is what fires up a crowd and binds them to the human beings representing their club. 

Have we lost something in football as coaches and administrators sap the joy out of the game. We used to go to games to let off steam. We shared the highs and lows, the beer breath , woodbines and a good sing song. Now we are customers who must sit down, mind your language and conform to the modern image of the sport. 
I fear that Mr Manning has reduced our squad with his coaching as our lads are not world beaters but good honest players who bought into the spirit generated by the previous manager. He needs to be freer and more spontaneous to release the creativity in the team. IMHO. 

You sound a tad emotional Your Maj

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I don't see how anybody could watch that performance last night and think our team lacked passion.

I’m not sure the OP or anyone on the thread suggested the team lack passion. The points on the thread have been more around a lack of creative freedom, spontaneity or instinctiveness which the OP suggested may feed from the “emotion” piece. I don’t think over 14 league games that’s necessarily an unfair observation.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I’m not sure the OP or anyone on the thread suggested the team lack passion. The points on the thread have been more around a lack of creative freedom, spontaneity or instinctiveness which the OP suggested may feed from the “emotion” piece. I don’t think over 14 league games that’s necessarily an unfair observation.

I do. I think the "emotion" that he prefers to comes from the crowd and players reaction to it. All those cries to "get it forward" when there isn't a pass on for example.

It looks like he wants the players to switch off to that.

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

Emotion will also feed poor decision making. The more emotional we become the poorer our decisions frequently will become. Footballers need to engage their intelligent minds more rather than the primitive. 

Playing with fire in your belly is a prerequisite and you can’t accuse our lot of being half hearted whatever your thoughts on their ability.

However, don’t let your performance level dip because something you didn’t expect or want has happened. Don’t concede a goal, lose the plot and be 3-0 down ten minutes later!! That’s the gist of what he’s saying isn’t it?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I do. I think the "emotion" that he prefers to comes from the crowd and players reaction to it. All those cries to "get it forward" when there isn't a pass on for example.

They do get my goat. Theres a guy in the Dolman that shouts it continuously.

On a broader basis, I think that is an example of a 10-90 or 20-80 pass. Not a huge chance you’ll make something, likely turnover. What I do think we do a lot currently is err too much to 80-20 passes the other way. We don’t really play the 60-40 or even 70-30 which unlock teams, and I think that feeds into the wider point about if we’re “stifled”

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

Liam Manning talks about keeping emotions in check , not getting too high or too low

Nige used to say similar after a win/loss , not to be too up or down .
It doesn't pay to be knee jerk, Yaay we won we're getting promoted followed quickly by we are definitely shit and are in a relegation battle. If th player got like that they may as well be on here.

7 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

They do get my goat. Theres a guy in the Dolman that shouts it continuously.

On a broader basis, I think that is an example of a 10-90 or 20-80 pass. Not a huge chance you’ll make something, likely turnover. What I do think we do a lot currently is err too much to 80-20 passes the other way. We don’t really play the 60-40 or even 70-30 which unlock teams, and I think that feeds into the wider point about if we’re “stifled”

What annoys me is the seemingly simple passes that go astray. There were plenty last night, but the one that stands out as an example was Cornick , he did really well chasing and winning the ball only to play a 5 yard pass splitting City players straight to give Cov a break . 
Bad choices , and it is starting feel like I say this every week , like Mehmeti with 2 passes on taking on a defender and losing it. What makes it worse was he berated someone for not passing, complete lack of self awareness .
We have improved on the passing and possession, but it shows there is a way to go.

2 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Jürgen Klopp is right: man-management skills are being lost in a rush of data | Jürgen Klopp | The Guardian

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Sitting in the Dolman I bloody wish I could.

1 hour ago, Cowshed said:

Emotion will also feed poor decision making. 

It depends, which emotion are you referring to? There's more than one you know (not that you'd know it, taking in a Liam Manning interview).

Would the emotion of curiosity or disgust feed poor decision making? What about prowed? 

I thought we played quite emotionally v West Ham, not that we'd get away with ruffling the opposition's emotions like that every week in the Championship, not at Elland Road.

12 minutes ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

It depends, which emotion are you referring to? There's more than one you know (not that you'd know it, taking in a Liam Manning interview).

Would the emotion of curiosity or disgust feed poor decision making? What about prowed? 

I thought we played quite emotionally v West Ham, not that we'd get away with ruffling the opposition's emotions like that every week in the Championship, not at Elland Road.

Prowed punched a horse. On a scale of poor decisions? Poor. 

Disgust triggers the insula, along with anger and fear. Primitive fight and flight response. Acting with anger, disgust, fear are frequently poor decision making. Its a subconscious highly reactive defensive mechanism.

I feel City played with intensity, controlled intensity v West Ham. Intensity that was intelligent.

• Like 2

When he talks about “emotion” I think he’s talking about emotive reactions to things that happen initially on the pitch, ie scoring a worldie, conceding a shocker, making a series of bad passes, etc and not letting it affect you…and then not taking that forward post-game.

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

When he talks about “emotion” I think he’s talking about emotive reactions to things that happen initially on the pitch, ie scoring a worldie, conceding a shocker, making a series of bad passes, etc and not letting it affect you…and then not taking that forward post-game.

Theres a stock phrase I use to the kids I coach - don’t make a mistake last five minutes, make it last five seconds.

Id actually like to say five milliseconds but not sure they understand that timeframe!

The whole point in a game as we all know is that mistakes happen. The issue is that if you make a mistake and think about it, you’re prone to another mistake immediately. With the kids it can be as little as an “oh no” when shanking a pass - you see their focus has gone for that moment, and they’re susceptible to the opposition. Longer that focus goes, more susceptible they are - also goes with expecting to be given fouls and getting annoyed when they’re not. In a wider basis it’s about concentration,

Again, don’t have a problem with the principle. Bizarrely by using the word “emotion” LM taps into an overly emotive reaction!

• Like 1

On 31/01/2024 at 08:21, Merrick's Marvels said:

Good read, that. Thanks. "Data is not predestination." I like football to be, still, about the intangibles, the art as well as science of coaching or management. "Are you up for the fight, Liam?"

As we are quite probably neither going up or down this season, getting all het up about results now is daft, we will get a better idea about LM after he's had a summer window and a pre-season, before the Saturday-Tuesday-Saturday-Tuesday kicks in and the recovery-meetings-play-recovery-meetings Klopp refers to.

On 31/01/2024 at 06:11, Major Isewater said:

Well said Isewater, old chap.

Like Johnny Tillotson's song, your musings are simply "Poetry emotion" (sic)

On 31/01/2024 at 08:00, Cowshed said:

Emotion will also feed poor decision making. The more emotional we become the poorer our decisions frequently will become. Footballers need to engage their intelligent minds more rather than the primitive. 

100%, it can change the thought process and lose the periphery vision of what’s happening around them on the pitch

The very best players channel their emotional reactions in a way that lifts their performance levels even higher

Not my words but a sports Psychologist I know who has worked closely with Premiership clubs and professional rugby players 

I don’t think Manning is necessarily the brightest spark when it comes to choosing his words.

None of that matters if he achieves, but on that the jury is out.

Sorry but wish it was Nige benefitting by the loosening of purse strings.

• Sad 1

When LM talks about "not getting to high and not getting too low" he is talking (in plain English terms) about trying maintain an optimal level of arousal. 

So he's not saying players should be emotionless as thisnresukts in 'under-arousal' and a widening of attention or attending to thingd that are outside the field of focus. Manning (being a very intelligent coach) clearly understands this. Equally he means players should not be 'over-aroused' as this is equally dangerous to performance levels and can result in a narrowing of attention or attending to the wrong things. 

Not sure we've consistently found the magic sweet spot yet under LM mind but there have been signs of it. 

Edited by redrob

29 minutes ago, redrob said:

When LM talks about "not getting to high and not getting too low" he is talking (in plain English terms) about trying maintain an optimal level of arousal. 

So he's not saying players should be emotionless as thisnresukts in 'under-arousal' and a widening of attention or attending to thingd that are outside the field of focus. Manning (being a very intelligent coach) clearly understands this. Equally he means players should not be 'over-aroused' as this is equally dangerous to performance levels and can result in a narrowing of attention or attending to the wrong things. 

Not sure we've consistently found the magic sweet spot yet under LM mind but there have been signs of it. 

First time I've heard "arousal" in a football context since LJ 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Ivorguy said:

I don’t think Manning is necessarily the brightest spark when it comes to choosing his words.

None of that matters if he achieves, but on that the jury is out.

Sorry but wish it was Nige benefitting by the loosening of purse strings.

On the contrary I think he's very intelligent....... I think it's more a case of trying to simplify a complex topic for those who are not familiar with the scientific theory (in this case performance psychology). 

The game of football at the highest levels has changed so much since many of us older ones began our lifetime.

Instead of the attitude then of knocking the ball into opponents penalty box as often as possible and banging on their door, which raised the emotions of the industrial working class and made them noisy and willing their side to win.

Now, and especially since Man City started playing keep ball for very long periods there are so few moments like the old days. All teams in the top levels will now do things that were never seen which dampen the excitement. Throw in alongside the opponents penalty area and with one to three touches is with our goalkeeper, does deflated us.

We only had football or rugby to go to in the winter and I'm an old man who has watched the game through eight decades and still gets a buzz on match day. But would I have stuck with the lack of goalmouth excitement when I was a young boy and with so many other activities now available?

I don't think so.