IGNORED

Alternative Universe

Port Said Red

Totally agree couldn't believe the amount of stick Max was getting from a small number of members last night, makes a mistake and now not good enough for league 1 🤣 he's won us more points than he's lost us this year,

Just feel some need to get a grip a point against a very good in form side going for the play offs is an excellent result ,

Again we played really well yesterday the win will come don't panic 🤣

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I think it's all because it's transfer window time.. the typical toy throwing time of the year. My club is the worst we didn't get x, y and z players. There's probably a point in there (we should of done more business in the summer) but it's babyish to say the least.

You're right though it wasn't by any means perfect but getting a draw at a play off teams ground who have hit the best form in the league is a decent result.

1 minute ago, RedRoss said:

I think it's all because it's transfer window time.. the typical toy throwing time of the year. My club is the worst we didn't get x, y and z players. There's probably a point in there (we should of done more business in the summer) but it's babyish to say the least.

You're right though it wasn't by any means perfect but getting a draw at a play off teams ground who have hit the best form in the league is a decent result.

We should have bought more than 5 players in the summer? When was the last time we did that?

Just now, Port Said Red said:

We should have bought more than 5 players in the summer? When was the last time we did that?

We also lost 6 players in the summer. If you think we shouldn't of strengthened up top in the summer that's your opinion. At the time the concensus was that we needed more me included. Evidence is playing out that way. We we're under necessary austerity for multiple seasons prior due to our financial mess. That pressure has loosened due to Semenyo and Scott. We never replaced Semenyo adequately.

Even so that's upto opinion. It doesn't really matter now. We need to address it maybe in the next day or so or in the summer. Whichever way it needs to be the right deal.

• Like 2

I do think we have put ourselves under a bit of pressure by not winning the "winnable" games, therefore some fans  are maybe looking for points where there is less chance of getting them.

At the end of the day, we started the season as a mid-table team with an outside chance of flirting with the play-offs.

At the moment we are just a mid-table team, albeit with a new system, but lacking the players to implement it properly

Edited by Slack Bladder
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Slack Bladder said:

I do think we have put ourselves under a bit of pressure by not winning the "winnable" games, therefore some fans  are maybe looking for points where there is less chance of getting them.

At the end of the day, we started the season as a mid-table team with an outside chance of flirting with the play-offs.

At the moment we are just a mid-table team, albeit with a new system, but lacking the players to implement it properly

Yeah, some of those games are looking costly now. Part of it could be the inevitable transition period under a new manager.

The Norwich and Millwall games, 2 points donated minimum as in the 2 winners conceded were avoidable.

Even the Watford and Coventry games which obviously were much better than the first 2..the handball by Dickie was a gift, last night we had to work harder for our goals than Coventry did for theirs.

Is FFP beginning to hit home in the Championship? Thought Coventry looked distinctly lack lustre for a team around the top six, or did City work hard enough to make them look that way? 
      Either way just my observations but it did make me grin when we have to resort to the pairing of Wells and Conway from the previous playing style to actually score a second goal .

• Like 2

Think PSR's original post may be born out of the 'results vs performance' split of people. I know performance is a better indicator of where you're going, but I've always been a result first guy. If we play like prime Ajax and lose I'm gutted. Play like Chippenham Town and win and I'm over the moon. Short-sighted maybe, but next season will be our 10th consecutive at this level. Patience begins to wear thin! 

Since Boxing Day, I've said 'we played well, we were unlucky not to win' far too much. Maybe we're not making our own luck? Performances are mostly good, 1 win in 8 and 13th in the table is bound to lead to some disappointed fans though. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

Think PSR's original post may be born out of the 'results vs performance' split of people. I know performance is a better indicator of where you're going, but I've always been a result first guy. If we play like prime Ajax and lose I'm gutted. Play like Chippenham Town and win and I'm over the moon. Short-sighted maybe, but next season will be our 10th consecutive at this level. Patience begins to wear thin! 

Since Boxing Day, I've said 'we played well, we were unlucky not to win' far too much. Maybe we're not making our own luck? Performances are mostly good, 1 win in 8 and 13th in the table is bound to lead to some disappointed fans though. 

The thing is, performances usually align to results. Not always but it often happens.

By which I mean the 2 can catch up..If a side are riding their luck but results are strong the two will often eventually align and perhaps over correct.

Vice versa if playing well but results poor to mediocre.

Problem is here, it's hard to know exactly where we are at..performances have been varied, results have been varied under Manning. For Coventry and Watford away, we have Millwall and Norwich at home.

• Like 1

It does feel like the forum is very reactionary at the moment. Which isn't ideal when we're a midtable side that wins a few, loses a few, and draws a few. We were up after the three straight wins at Christmas, up after the West Ham cup games, and down after the mini-winless run in the league at the moment. It's human nature and understandable to a certain extent, but people really need to take a step back and look at the broader picture.

There is very little value in obsessing over Manning's PPG at this stage. He's only been in charge for 15 or so games, he is still implementing his own methods and playing style, and he hasn't built his own squad. It's a poor metric at this early stage for those reasons, but also when it's so easily influenced by the standard of the opposition he has faced.

Broadly speaking, I would say both Manning and Pearson have got about par from the squad. We are inconsistent, we are poor at times, and occasionally we have been excellent under Manning. All of that is as much about the quality of the players as it is the quality of the coach.

If two coaches with different styles are performing roughly the same, then maybe that's just where we are as a club at the moment. We're just very mid-table. We want to see progress, but personally I think we need to give the new coach a decent amount of time to achieve that, with a summer of recruitment and decent backing from a board who need to put their money where their mouth is, and stop obsessing about every result in the meantime. Manning doesn't become Pulis when we lose any more than he becomes Pep when we win. Patience and time is needed before rushing to judgement.

• Like 11

8 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

The thing is, performances usually align to results. Not always but it often happens.

By which I mean the 2 can catch up..If a side are riding their luck but results are strong the two will often eventually align and perhaps over correct.

Problem is here, it's hard to know exactly where we are at..performances have been varied, results have been varied under Manning. For Coventry and Watford away, we have Millwall and Norwich at home.

For sure, we saw it with Preston's overperformance earlier in the season and where they are now. 

I think the biggest issue in our results and performances not aligning well of late is getting into good positions but not making good chances (well trodden ground here I realise). And then last night, we click and look more dangerous and are let down by our defence (Max having a rare poor 90). It's just not seeming to happen for us is it, which is why I find posts saying we shouldn't be unhappy a bit annoying. I didn't think we were going to get hammered yesterday as OP called consensus. I knew it was a tough match but we're a good team with a good manager and good players who can beat any team in this league with fair wind. Great that we gave Cov such a tough night, but we haven't won a league match since Boxing Day. It's totally fair to be a bit peeved I reckon. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

I feel like I have stepped into one this morning.

Yesterday afternoon, the consensus of opinion was that we were going to get a hammering by an in form Coventry side who had far too much for us, our only decent player was out injured, and people were still pining for the previous Manager on every thread.

I then sat and watched an excellent display by the remaining players where they made the previously rampant Coventry side look average and got a deserved point. If not for a poor fumble from our otherwise excellent goalkeeper, we would have got all three.

I was a bit surprised to come on here and find that we seemed to have lost 0-5 at home to Rotherham and that every other player was out of their depth, even the ones who had put in previously excellent displays against Premiership opposition. 

Added to that we seem to have been infiltrated by a couple of keyboard warriors straight out of a Danny Dyer film, which makes everything seem even more surreal.

Think you were defo in an alternative universe, yesterday. I was on here for much of the day and don't recall anyone saying we would get hammered by Coventry.

'Pining' for the previous manager. Grow up. People were having reasoned debate which a forum is all about.

Another game that we haven't won last night, with our top 6 / end squad. People, me included are  not going to stop questioning the change of manager and will not rest until BT and JL admit they dropped one or eff off altogether.

• Like 4
  • Sad 2
  • Flames 1

7 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Sorry Mr P but I don't think we have been any more consistent in performance or results for several years now, mainly because of the division we are in. Outside those who make it into the top 3 or 4, all clubs are inconsistent, how often do you see top ten sides with minus Goal Difference, that 10 points will cover 12 places?

1 hour ago, winsaw said:

Totally agree couldn't believe the amount of stick Max was getting from a small number of members last night, makes a mistake and now not good enough for league 1 🤣 he's won us more points than he's lost us this year,

Just feel some need to get a grip a point against a very good in form side going for the play offs is an excellent result ,

Again we played really well yesterday the win will come don't panic 🤣

Max is like a modern day fabians barthez,

Great most of the time but always has a period of clangers before becoming good again

What a good thread (except Sir G being his/her consistent 'lets knock the club' comments.

Agree with the OP, and with our last performance at Coventry very much in mind, i feared the worst yesterday. I will never like Palmer after his greedy attitude at BS3 and him sticking 2 fingers up to Pearson so his occasional appearances going forward did concern me. However I wouldn't have him back for any of our current midfield players and so another indication we are moving in the right direction, even though we are a long way behind them in the league. Quality of managers, getting the most out of their squad is all-important and in Mark Robins, they possibly have the best in our league right now?

Yes Manning may well prove that good but it is far too early to judge a coach who has only been able to bring in one player of his own. He's fortunate to have McCrorie back from injury to counter his bad luck in losing Sykes, without whom the Pearson performances (and results) would have been much worse than we had to endure.

Does anyone know when Pring serves a suspension as he was booked just before McCrorie late on?

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

Yesterday afternoon, the consensus of opinion was that we were going to get a hammering by an in form Coventry side who had far too much for us, our only decent player was out injured, and people were still pining for the previous Manager on every thread.

I then sat and watched an excellent display by the remaining players where they made the previously rampant Coventry side look average and got a deserved point. If not for a poor fumble from our otherwise excellent goalkeeper, we would have got all three.

I was a bit surprised to come on here and find that we seemed to have lost 0-5 at home to Rotherham and that every other player was out of their depth, even the ones who had put in previously excellent displays against Premiership opposition. 

Added to that we seem to have been infiltrated by a couple of keyboard warriors straight out of a Danny Dyer film, which makes everything seem even more surreal.

Ta very much. It's never possible to please everyone but some on here appear to be extremely unhappy unless we are winning every game by at least 10-0 with no yellow or red cards. The sort who would expect their parents to spend £500 on a box of crayons at Christmas!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Are you new to OTIB?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Are you new to OTIB?

Clearly not Dave, but the current overall feeling on this forum is very toxic, even posters whom I normally respect and agree with seem to being dragged into the negativity.

It might be time for me to take a rest from here, because its not fun reading some of the supposition on here being treated like fact, when I know a good percentage of it is completely wrong.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Clearly not Dave, but the current overall feeling on this forum is very toxic, even posters whom I normally respect and agree with seem to being dragged into the negativity.

It might be time for me to take a rest from here, because its not fun reading some of the supposition on here being treated like fact, when I know a good percentage of it is completely wrong.

This place has been like an alternative universe ever since Pearson went.

Away from OTIB, so far as I could tell the main response to Pearson leaving was "That's a shame, I quite liked him. However, he's had a fair crack of the whip and we don't really look like going anywhere so why not try something new?" among City supporting friends and people around me in the stadiumat least. On here it was akin to people thinking the Lansdowns had cackled evilly as their 25 year plan to deny City certain promotion to the Premier League came to fruition.

The next thing that happened was people took everything said by the club hierarchy in the aftermath seriously! People in football bullshit all the time, but when the people here said we had a squad capable of challenging for promotion it was suddenly all deliberately made up lies to be used against them for years to come when in reality don't most clubs hope they have a squad capable of challenging? What would be the point otherwise unless you are a seriously small fish in a big pond? Somehow this then dragged Brian Tinnion into the axis of evil at the head of our club.

It is still a rare thread on here that doesn't include people complaining still about Pearson leaving, or cynically referring to our team as a 'top 6 squad'. It's tedious and unfortunately shows no signs of diminishing as the groupthink still holds sway in here.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3
  • Hmmm 1
  • Flames 1

Whilst I go to every home game I rarely go away and never watch away game streams or on Robins TV. Consequently I follow OTIB for in game comments and to get a perspective on the game, accepting that every goal scored and conceded brings an onrush of either over-positive or hyper critical responses. Despite being hardened to the swaying between ecstasy and doom I gave up on last night as the comments directed at the likes of Max and Sam seemed to be largely agenda driven and dismissive of two of our own products who IMO deserve better. No doubt the same sort of people who said Antoine would never make it and want Sam loaned out to a lower league club. It did seem even more toxic than usual last night on here or maybe just a lack of accurate insightful contributors.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Toxic? Hmmm not sure about that. Stupid, short sighted, looking for someone to blame, etc. yes.  People all react differently to different things.
 Some people’s fuses being a lot shorter than others, but I think a forum should be a place where people can say what they think and more importantly have it challenged when we don’t agree,  people often hop onto the back foot, when you ask them to support or justify their grievances.

I can’t see where every other post you mention, calling for Pearson, simply people comparing the two which is pretty understandable. 

I think the problem with last night was we went ahead.  And in true City style let a goal in, in the closing minutes. 

45 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

This place has been like an alternative universe ever since Pearson went.

Away from OTIB, so far as I could tell the main response to Pearson leaving was "That's a shame, I quite liked him. However, he's had a fair crack of the whip and we don't really look like going anywhere so why not try something new?" among City supporting friends and people around me in the stadiumat least. On here it was akin to people thinking the Lansdowns had cackled evilly as their 25 year plan to deny City certain promotion to the Premier League came to fruition.

The next thing that happened was people took everything said by the club hierarchy in the aftermath seriously! People in football bullshit all the time, but when the people here said we had a squad capable of challenging for promotion it was suddenly all deliberately made up lies to be used against them for years to come when in reality don't most clubs hope they have a squad capable of challenging? What would be the point otherwise unless you are a seriously small fish in a big pond? Somehow this then dragged Brian Tinnion into the axis of evil at the head of our club.

It is still a rare thread on here that doesn't include people complaining still about Pearson leaving, or cynically referring to our team as a 'top 6 squad'. It's tedious and unfortunately shows no signs of diminishing as the groupthink still holds sway in here.

Fantastic post

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Cole Not Gas said:

What a good thread (except Sir G being his/her consistent 'lets knock the club' comments.

Agree with the OP, and with our last performance at Coventry very much in mind, i feared the worst yesterday. I will never like Palmer after his greedy attitude at BS3 and him sticking 2 fingers up to Pearson so his occasional appearances going forward did concern me. However I wouldn't have him back for any of our current midfield players and so another indication we are moving in the right direction, even though we are a long way behind them in the league. Quality of managers, getting the most out of their squad is all-important and in Mark Robins, they possibly have the best in our league right now?

Yes Manning may well prove that good but it is far too early to judge a coach who has only been able to bring in one player of his own. He's fortunate to have McCrorie back from injury to counter his bad luck in losing Sykes, without whom the Pearson performances (and results) would have been much worse than we had to endure.

Does anyone know when Pring serves a suspension as he was booked just before McCrorie late on?

Thanks but I think you will find I am not one to 'knock the club' and am and have been supportive over the years(see my posts of the past few years). I do hold the club i.e JL and SL to account for lying to us as fans and sacking an experienced coaching team long before their sell by date. There is a difference. Shame you are happy to lap up their nonsense and let them get away with it.

You say we are moving in the right direction. I'm glad you are happy moving down the table but I would rather see progression upwards.

Pearson had us 8th with a depleted squad and we had many decent performances this season (you obviously missed Hull A, Swansea A, Plymouth H, Leeds A)

Just to repeat the mantra we were told, Manning was brought in to improve this squad this season. Bringing in his own player should improve on what he has done so far and kick us on towards the play offs, not be a patsy to appease the fans, as the project is backfiring.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

I do hold the club i.e JL and SL to account for lying to us as fans and sacking an experienced coaching team long before their sell by date. There is a difference. Shame you are happy to lap up their nonsense and let them get away with it.

Sorry, but how are you holding them to account by posting on an internet forum? They will never accept what they did was wrong - certainly not publicly. They can do/say what the hell they like and have done for years.

I do get the frustration, but after 3 months surely it should have subsided a bit. Repeating it all over and over is getting tedious

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

3 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

Think you were defo in an alternative universe, yesterday. I was on here for much of the day and don't recall anyone saying we would get hammered by Coventry.

'Pining' for the previous manager. Grow up. People were having reasoned debate which a forum is all about.

Another game that we haven't won last night, with our top 6 / end squad. People, me included are  not going to stop questioning the change of manager and will not rest until BT and JL admit they dropped one or eff off altogether.

Without casting any judgement on the rights or wrongs of this viewpoint, what likelihood do you think this has of actually happening?

• Like 1