IGNORED

Standing/atmosphere

Topper 123

Surely we could go unique and local with massive attacks unfinished symphony. If they cranked this up and faded it out right on kick off the lyrics would really suit and would sound awesome IMO with everyone signing it.

I know that I've imagined love before
And how it could be with you
Really hurt me, baby, really cut me, baby
How can you have a day without a night?
You're the book that I have opened
And now I've got to know much more

• Like 2
  • Flames 2

59 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Been saying we need a proper club anthem for ages to belt out as the players kick off. 

Didn't Arsenal recently introduce one? 

Yes they did, North London Forever (ironic because they weren’t originally from NL) Really good song though.

3 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Two others albeit not entirely as recent and for specific games it can differ.

Friday night (albeit late 2018) West Brom v Aston Villa. Very much a song associated with them and it shows.

01:10 onwards. Albeit a Sheffield derby and perhaps a night game.

Which reminds me why are we seemingly not permitted to have localish derbies Plymouth aside under the lights?

Think its mainly because of the whole alcohol thing, found that most 12:30s are in place as it gives less time/ motive for fans to be boozed up in the morning.

2 minutes ago, OliOTIB said:

Think its mainly because of the whole alcohol thing, found that most 12:30s are in place as it gives less time/ motive for fans to be boozed up in the morning.

Sure but these games are also 'Risk' games to some degree.

Of course I understand the argument about alcohol but..

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

Sure but these games are also risk games to some degree.

Of course I understand the argument about alcohol but..

Only really believe that the alc thing is true due to assumptions. For example, SW derby (swans v cardiff) was permitted to be 3pm and 7:45 Ko in the last 2 years due to the fact its now a bubble fixture, away fans cant go unless they go on official coaches. Not that it doesn’t disrupt those going strictly for the violence, who simply dont attend the game.

Just now, OliOTIB said:

Only really believe that the alc thing is true due to assumptions. For example, SW derby (swans v cardiff) was permitted to be 3pm and 7:45 Ko in the last 2 years due to the fact its now a bubble fixture, away fans cant go unless they go on official coaches. Not that it doesn’t disrupt those going strictly for the violence, who simply dont attend the game.

I've no idea if the Sheffield derby or some of these West Midlands games are Bubble, that could of course negate some of it but atmosphere under lights for a localish or fully local game can be quite good.

• Like 1

It bugs me how the forest anthem is about a place in Scotland and sounds really Scottish too. Can't help thinking why would any English club want to have that as their anthem whenever I hear it, it's not exactly like Scotland is known for outstanding football either. 😆

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Eddie Notgetinya said:

Surely we could go unique and local with massive attacks unfinished symphony. If they cranked this up and faded it out right on kick off the lyrics would really suit and would sound awesome IMO with everyone signing it.

100% get my vote too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OliOTIB said:

Yes they did, North London Forever (ironic because they weren’t originally from NL) Really good song though.

Just discovered Louis Dundford , love his lyrics and the Angel is a great tune. You can see why it took off when you hear the live at Hammersmith version , fans must love it. 

Also , Regretamine 🤣

47 minutes ago, Midred said:

What's with the hunting/post horn when then teams come out, is that the EFL musical branding? Surely nothing to do with City!

It's the trumpet fanfare from the William Tell Overture which I introduced in 2008 when I was asked to revamp our pre match routine. You're right in saying that Giacomo Rossini had no connections with City, but he did know how to write a rousing tune. I think it still works well as a signal that kick off isn't far away.  We tried a few different bits of music over the years but nothing has really stuck. I'd be all in favour of Drink Up Thy Zider or Unfinished Sympathy. Whatever is played, you have to stick with it until it becomes an accepted part of pre match.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Dave L said:

It's the trumpet fanfare from the William Tell Overture which I introduced in 2008 when I was asked to revamp our pre match routine. You're right in saying that Giacomo Rossini had no connections with City, but he did know how to write a rousing tune. I think it still works well as a signal that kick off isn't far away.  We tried a few different bits of music over the years but nothing has really stuck. I'd be all in favour of Drink Up Thy Zider or Unfinished Sympathy. Whatever is played, you have to stick with it until it becomes an accepted part of pre match.

Tbf it does work because I'm still outside at that time so when I hear that is when I enter the stadium and make my way to my seat. 

• Like 1

Whether it is the specific choice of song (Liquidator) the volume and relative irrelevance of music for the 10 mins before kick off, whether it is the size of the away allocation, whether it is the location of the away allocation, whether it is the location of our own Safe Standing area, or indeed the size.

Ir all boils down to one overriding factor. The club or members or the hierarchy are either trying to dampen down the possibility of a more partisan home atmosphere or worse are clueless as to the issues.

Oh plus Downsy, arguably the location of the tunnel and maybe or maybe it is the sensible choice but reading out the opposition side first.

I'm being a bit reductive but it feels as if the club are doing a lot, working hard in fact against a better atmosphere at home or have been in recent years.

1 hour ago, Dave L said:

Thank you. I don't get to too many matches now so I thought it was more recent than 2008! 😀

On 01/02/2024 at 12:01, Mr Popodopolous said:

I dunno what % of the Kop or how much put in yet has played out tbh but I totally agree with the idea that standing fans more likely to sing, chant etc therefore we do need a 2nd or bjtt3r Safe Standing area.

Of course it adds to it, at the West Ham and Nottingham Forest games more seemed to be standing than usual and the Safe Standing area looked maybe a bit overcrowded..shows that demand clearly exceeds supply for this.

It wasn't a bit overcrowded.  It was ridiculously overcrowded. Weren't checking tickets. Started doing it 2nd half

3 minutes ago, The Bard said:

It wasn't a bit overcrowded.  It was ridiculously overcrowded. Weren't checking tickets. Started doing it 2nd half

Demand  > or possibly even >> Supply then, especially for big games.

Not to condone migration or inadequate ticket checking but there seems to be a mismatch between the 2.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Demand  > or possibly even >> Supply then, especially for big games.

Not to condone migration or inadequate ticket checking but there seems to be a mismatch between the 2.

Think it was mainly down to most tickets being distributed around just by a screenshot. Say 5 mates bought tickets for the game, and only 1 of them had one in S25/26/27, all it takes is that one lad to send a SS of his ticket to his mates and they all walk in different entrances or just wait a few minutes in between so our useless stewards dont clock on.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, OliOTIB said:

Think it was mainly down to most tickets being distributed around just by a screenshot. Say 5 mates bought tickets for the game, and only 1 of them had one in S25/26/27, all it takes is that one lad to send a SS of his ticket to his mates and they all walk in different entrances or just wait a few minutes in between so our useless stewards dont clock on.

Tbh screenshotting is going above and beyond to put it politely.

I occasionally look at other forums and while I don't have much time for Millwall, this sounds familiar. Some of the same complaints, some of them go further as is their way but basically giving away fans too prominent a position.

The two occasions I went it was top tier only, has that changed?

https://millwallonline.com/forum/threads/away-fans-at-the-den.55241/

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I occasionally look at other forums and while I don't have much time for Millwall, this sounds familiar. Some of the same complaints, some of them go further as is their way but basically giving away fans too prominent a position.

The two occasions I went it was top tier only, has that changed?

https://millwallonline.com/forum/threads/away-fans-at-the-den.55241/

Yep we were in the lower tier, right next to their lot in the adjoining stand in August.   Made the stoppage time  winner even more enjoyable!! 

On 20/02/2024 at 11:49, OliOTIB said:

Watching this, makes me and others so jealous of clubs that have a proper club anthem.

Fantastic from Forest.

YNWA, Mull of Kintyre, KRO, MOT, even sunderland and hull now singing Wise men say, Hi Ho Sheffield Wednesday, Pitbag at Boro, Blue moon

How hard would it be for the club to play Drink Up Thy Zider before kickoff, with the whole stadium singing it word for word and slowly to the music, just like after full time (when we win) 

Think that alone would really improve the atmosphere.

At what point did they think that a football club in the east Midlands was the obvious place to sing "Mull of Kintyre"?

Whatever happened to their old song " Robin Hood, Robin Hood riding through the glen?

On 20/02/2024 at 12:12, Eddie Notgetinya said:

Not many of us have the vocal range for that one! Need to recruit a choir!

On 01/02/2024 at 12:17, W-S-M Seagull said:

It won't happen in the South Stand. People have had their seats for too long now and there would be uproar trying to move them. Where would you move them to? 

For me the solution is to make the Atyeo a singing section and move away fans to the upper lansdown. However I know the logistics around that wouldn't be easy. 

I would expect quite a few in the south stand would prefer to stand if asked. No need for them to move as mentioned years ago we should have had at least 9 rows across the back of the south stand. Those who prefer to sit would have spaces at the front.