IGNORED

Standing/atmosphere

Topper 123

Watching Liverpool tonight and realised THE KOP stand throughout the match with no same standing ,does anyone think this improves atmosphere and is it legal ? If so why not try it across south stand on Friday night v Leeds 

thoughts and reasons 👍

Thanks for reply , I wasn’t aware it was nearly all safe standing on the kop , this goes to show it’s what the fans want and the atmosphere is cracking and this is what the team want and I would imagine the rugby crowd want , come on city listen to the fans and turn south stand into the RED WALL

• Like 1

I dunno what % of the Kop or how much put in yet has played out tbh but I totally agree with the idea that standing fans more likely to sing, chant etc therefore we do need a 2nd or bjtt3r Safe Standing area.

Of course it adds to it, at the West Ham and Nottingham Forest games more seemed to be standing than usual and the Safe Standing area looked maybe a bit overcrowded..shows that demand clearly exceeds supply for this.

Each to their own, I dont think it improves things that much,

But what stand does do is attract those who generally want to sing to sit together,

Depending on the ground layout this can ether be a benefit or a hindrance 

But it should be allowed at most if not all grounds as fans should have a choice,

Personally I'm at a the where I don't want to stand for 90 minutes anymore, but who am I to take that away from those who do

• Confused 1

22 minutes ago, Topper 123 said:

Thanks for reply , I wasn’t aware it was nearly all safe standing on the kop , this goes to show it’s what the fans want and the atmosphere is cracking and this is what the team want and I would imagine the rugby crowd want , come on city listen to the fans and turn south stand into the RED WALL

It won't happen in the South Stand. People have had their seats for too long now and there would be uproar trying to move them. Where would you move them to? 

For me the solution is to make the Atyeo a singing section and move away fans to the upper lansdown. However I know the logistics around that wouldn't be easy. 

• Facepalm 1

The club  are and have been fairly negligent in this area and have been for a while.

I do appreciate that legislation was a key factor for some time but not just 'Safe' Standing but it also seens that the club almost work against getting the right sort of atmosphere for football, and have for years.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

The club  are and have been fairly negligent in this area and have been for a while.

I do appreciate that legislation was a key factor for some time but not just 'Safe' Standing but it also seens that the club almost work against getting the right sort of atmosphere for football, and have for years.

I almost feel guilty defending the Club in any way on here, but.

We were the first Club, technically , to install a small batch of SS seats. In the "old" ground by the funny little area by the side of the Atyeo. It took ages for the Powers that be to get round to taking it seriously. I believe we looked into it for the rebuild but it still wasn't signed off until later, after the work had been done.
A quick search says Shrewsbury 2018. That means the Ground was fully opened and season ticket sold for the area most likely to be used. 
Now you get to having to move people that don't want to stand , or trying to work around them.
I think the Club should install it from midway back , right to the top of the South Stand and offer inducements for anyone wanting to move away. But then it doesn't affect me. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, 1960maaan said:

I almost feel guilty defending the Club in any way on here, but.

We were the first Club, technically , to install a small batch of SS seats. In the "old" ground by the funny little area by the side of the Atyeo. It took ages for the Powers that be to get round to taking it seriously. I believe we looked into it for the rebuild but it still wasn't signed off until later, after the work had been done.
A quick search says Shrewsbury 2018. That means the Ground was fully opened and season ticket sold for the area most likely to be used. 
Now you get to having to move people that don't want to stand , or trying to work around them.
I think the Club should install it from midway back , right to the top of the South Stand and offer inducements for anyone wanting to move away. But then it doesn't affect me. 

Actually very good point that. I also credit SL for eventually reopening the East End.

It feels like we have lost our way somewhere in recent years though, regressed in this area.

Midway to top sounds a decent cross-section IMO.

Maybe I am being a bit unfair on the club but it does feel like we could do more as a club in the here and now.

*Liquidator

*Excessively loud and close to kick-off music

*Reading the opposition side first? Maybe that's nothing really but it has always struck me as a bit odd.

*Downsy

Etc.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Actually very good point that. I also credit SL for eventually reopening the East End.

It feels like we have lost our way somewhere in recent years though, regressed in this area.

Midway to top sounds a decent cross-section IMO.

Maybe I am being a bit unfair on the club but it does feel like we could do more as a club in the here and now.

*Liquidator

*Excessively loud and close to kick-off music

*Reading the opposition side first? Maybe that's nothing really but it has always struck me as a bit odd.

*Downsy.  🤣  :yes:

Etc.

I think reading the other team first just allows him to get hyper nearer kick off. If he reached fever pitch with our lot where does he go when he has to read out some team of no marks like West 'am :thumbsup:

Those songs, Liquidator , Glad all over , unless you're the first I don't get copying another team. Makes it awkward when you play that team, feels like their home game. 
TBH I don't get in until late, evening games when I drive I still stay in the Concourse until 5/10 minutes to go , so I don't notice. They must have had enough feedback by now to realise it's a problem though.

I agree we do seem to have been almost coasting for a while. I think it's the trouble when the owner and son want to have a say in everything , and I would add I'm not totally against Father or Son . But we could do with someone with power to get things done, and the insight to see what possibilities there are. The shop (again) is a prime example of opportunities missed. 
They may well see safe standing as money spent with little gain, hard to argue TBF, but as a fan most (I believe ) would be in favour.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

It won't happen in the South Stand. People have had their seats for too long now and there would be uproar trying to move them. Where would you move them to? 

For me the solution is to make the Atyeo a singing section and move away fans to the upper lansdown. However I know the logistics around that wouldn't be easy. 

Logistics around this will be impossible.

Making the South Stand completely safe-standing is the most logical way to better the atmosphere for home matches.

Yes, a few people would grumble but they would get over it if it improved the results on the pitch and the matchday experience in general. People are able to adapt to new situations quickly. Think about when AG was redeveloped that changed everything for people that would have sat in the same seat for many years.

The benefits of this would signifcantly outweigh any uproar from fans (imho of course).   

• Like 3

2 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Can I remind you fans only rent the seat , it’s not theirs so if club want safe standing you’d have option of same seat/area and if it doesn’t suit then they move ,upper lansdown never happen due to segregation the club would lose seats 

2 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

The logistics around that is impossible

1 hour ago, Wokingham Red said:

Making the South Stand completely safe-standing is the most logical way to better the atmosphere for home matches.

Yes, a few people would grumble but they would get over it if it improved the results on the pitch and the matchday experience in general. People are able to adapt to new situations quickly. Think about when AG was redeveloped that changed everything for people that would have sat in the same seat for many years.

The benefits of this would signifcantly outweigh any uproar from fans (imho of course).   

No they wouldn't as it would force them to other parts of the ground that are far more expensive 

• Admin
3 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Further to your posts above @W-S-M Seagull and @Mr Popodopolous you will be please to know that things are being discussed and at present no stand or area if off the table for suggestions - it is worth reading the opening post in the thread below

1 hour ago, Wokingham Red said:

It's not logical tho is it? Because you'd be asking lots of people, mainly families to either stand or to move seats to more expensive parts of the ground. On that basis, it's a non goer. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Topper 123 said:

Watching Liverpool tonight and realised THE KOP stand throughout the match with no same standing ,does anyone think this improves atmosphere and is it legal ? If so why not try it across south stand on Friday night v Leeds 

thoughts and reasons 👍

If a fan stands the same as anyone else, do they Kop it?

57 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

No they wouldn't as it would force them to other parts of the ground that are far more expensive 

21 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

It's not logical tho is it? Because you'd be asking lots of people, mainly families to either stand or to move seats to more expensive parts of the ground. On that basis, it's a non goer. 

You would have to honour the price of south stand season ticket price for a given period of time (say 3 years).

• Admin
40 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Please see my post above

At this point in time there are no stats to indicate numbers of those that would like to move and also no figures to show if people were having their area changed that they would want to move anyway

17 minutes ago, Wokingham Red said:

You would have to honour the price of south stand season ticket price for a given period of time (say 3 years).

Again, please see above.

No point really going over the topic again until there is anything happening

10 minutes ago, phantom said:

Please see my post above

At this point in time there are no stats to indicate numbers of those that would like to move and also no figures to show if people were having their area changed that they would want to move anyway

Again, please see above.

No point really going over the topic again until there is anything happening

Thank you for sharing that @phantom .. it's good to hear it's being dicussed at these meetings. 

• Like 1

Watching this, makes me and others so jealous of clubs that have a proper club anthem.

Fantastic from Forest.

YNWA, Mull of Kintyre, KRO, MOT, even sunderland and hull now singing Wise men say, Hi Ho Sheffield Wednesday, Pitbag at Boro, Blue moon

How hard would it be for the club to play Drink Up Thy Zider before kickoff, with the whole stadium singing it word for word and slowly to the music, just like after full time (when we win) 

Think that alone would really improve the atmosphere.

Edited by OliOTIB

7 minutes ago, OliOTIB said:

Watching this, makes me and others so jealous of clubs that have a proper club anthem.

Fantastic from Forest.

YNWA, Mull of Kintyre, KRO, MOT, even sunderland and hull now singing Wise men say, Hi Ho Sheffield Wednesday, Pitbag at Boro, Blue moon

How hard would it be for the club to play Drink Up Thy Zider before kickoff, with the whole stadium singing it word for word and slowly to the music, just like after full time (when we win) 

Think that alone would really improve the atmosphere.

Also forgot

Certainly a team with an improved atmosphere in recent years, and a local song being sung.

• Like 1

Two others albeit not entirely as recent and for specific games it can differ.

Friday night (albeit late 2018) West Brom v Aston Villa. Very much a song associated with them and it shows.

01:10 onwards. Albeit a Sheffield derby and perhaps a night game.

Which reminds me why are we seemingly not permitted to have localish derbies Plymouth aside under the lights?

Edited by Mr Popodopolous