IGNORED

Top six? You’re having a laugh.

Robbored

Completely outplayed in every department tonight by a very classy Leeds side who were unfortunate not to put 3 or 4 past us. Max saved us at least three times.

Yeah,  I get it parachute payments blah be blah with Leeds still retaining several PL players but the gulf in class tonight was immense.

I can’t see us getting anywhere near the play offs. I reckon that mid table mediocracy is the best we can hope for.

No wins in 7 says it all.

City will stay up of course and the real Manning era starts next summer with a full pre season and a couple of decent signings incoming.

Forest next - at least it’s a break from the Championship.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

Completely outplayed in every department tonight by a very classy Leeds side who were unfortunate not to put 3 or 4 past us. Max saved us at least three times.

Yeah,  I get it parachute payments blah be blah with Leeds still retaining several PL players but the gulf in class tonight was immense.

I can’t see us getting anywhere near the play offs. I reckon that mid table mediocracy is the best we can hope for.

No wins in 7 says it all.

City will stay up of course and the real Manning era starts next summer with a full pre season and a couple of decent signings incoming.

Forest next - at least it’s a break from the Championship.

Controversial....

Plenty of points to play for

Our last win was 4 games ago.

I remember this poster giving me the facepalm emoji when I said we wouldn’t win back to back away games at Watford & Birmingham.

I’m not sure anyone bar the Chairman & Tinnion ever believed the top six bollocks.

Mediocracy- never heard of it.

Edited by GrahamC
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, GrahamC said:

Our last win was 4 games ago.

I remember this poster giving me the facepalm emoji when I said we wouldn’t win back to back away games at Watford & Birmingham.

I’m not sure anyone bar the Chairman & Tinnion ever believed the top six bollocks.

I'm not sure even they did.

• Like 1

FWIW we aren’t anywhere as good as Leicester, Leeds and Southampton.  It’s no coincidence that these were the 3 relegated teams.  Ipswich have done remarkably well.  But there is not much difference between us and a dozen (even more) teams.  I’m not saying West Brom aren’t better than us, but there isn’t that big a gap that we should dismiss being able to compete.  Nor am I saying that I expect us to be top 6, but we currently look further away from maintaining being in the mix.

Tonight isn’t the game to go to town on criticism, there’s not a lot can be said.

• Like 10

9 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

FWIW we aren’t anywhere as good as Leicester, Leeds and Southampton.  It’s no coincidence that these were the 3 relegated teams.  Ipswich have done remarkably well.  But there is not much difference between us and a dozen (even more) teams.  I’m not saying West Brom aren’t better than us, but there isn’t that big a gap that we should dismiss being able to compete.  Nor am I saying that I expect us to be top 6, but we currently look further away from maintaining being in the mix.

Tonight isn’t the game to go to town on criticism, there’s not a lot can be said.

Yes Leeds are a very good team at this level, but they had lost 3 of their last 4 away games. We played straight into their hands by trying to play a way that doesn’t suit at least half our players on the pitch. Plus being a striker under Manning must be one of the most soul-destroying roles in football - Just lots of chasing defenders and nothing to work with. It’s dull and ineffective football, so it neither entertains nor is it successful. Reninders of the ill-fated but thankfully brief SO’D era are flooding back…

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

We are nowhere near the top 2, or 4 for that matter.

Beyond that, we aren't a million miles off 5th-10th.

The problem with that is that there are probably 16 teams that aren't a million miles off 5th-10th and we are very much average in that group.

• Like 6
  • Confused 1
  • Hmmm 1

1 hour ago, Dr Balls said:

Yes Leeds are a very good team at this level, but they had lost 3 of their last 4 away games. We played straight into their hands by trying to play a way that doesn’t suit at least half our players on the pitch. Plus being a striker under Manning must be one of the most soul-destroying roles in football - Just lots of chasing defenders and nothing to work with. It’s dull and ineffective football, so it neither entertains nor is it successful. Reninders of the ill-fated but thankfully brief SO’D era are flooding back…

I’ve been saying for weeks “structured football” both with and without the ball is for the PP teams in the main.

Tonight structured football in possession saw us struggle to get get out of our half for large portions of the game.

Tonight structured football out of possession saw a very good Leeds team destroy our block and carve us open at times.  It was only really when we did get Meslier to start kicking long that we suddenly made the game a bit more of a contest.

I’m in no rush to reach conclusions on Manning.  There are quite a lot of things I like, and want to see play out.  But this might be his first job where he learns that principles and behaviours might need to lead to a less pure approach in the way we play.  A coaches voice video of his hit twitter earlier today.  It was effing marvellous, so simple to coach.  But if you’re an opposition analyst you’ll have seen it a thousand times and have “coping strategies”.  I agree we don’t have the players to be “pure” (pure is just the word I’m using to describe what he’s trying to do, it’s not the right word, apologies)..

But I think the error is thinking pure is the way.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Pezo said:

The problem with that is that there are probably 16 teams that aren't a million miles off 5th-10th and we are very much average in that group.

I think most of us would agree with that, and that is why I thought we wasted an opportunity in the summer window to give us some marginal gains by signing a player or two, that might’ve moved us up a couple of notches.

• Like 2