For us..4-3-3ish vs the back 3?

What should we play?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. What should we play?

• 4-3-3ish
    • The back 3 of Manning
    • Neither- if so what?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/06/24 at 19:14

I know it is a tiny sample size so it doesn't mean much in the grand scheme poll wise out of the whole fanbase but we certainly at this time IMO, look so much more comfortable and cohesive with a back 4, indeed with 4-3-3 or with some variation on 4-3-3.

Please, please, please can we stick to this for the foreseeable as our Plan A. I'm not even totally against a back 3 or exploring it down the line but please...

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

On 03/02/2024 at 20:12, IAmNick said:

I voted neither for what it's worth. I'd probably do some kind of 4-1-3-2, maybe:

Tanner/McCrorie - Vyner - Dickie - Pring

James/Williams

TGH -  Knight  - Twine/Sykes

Conway - Wells

That's interesting, it covers a lot of bases although could Sykes be a bit wasted centrally?

Or maybe it could be the making of him and he can always pull wide.

On 03/02/2024 at 22:14, Davefevs said:

I don’t disagree with any of what you’ve written above, but I do care about being told / sold one thing and getting another.

Grow up Fevs, we all know we’ve been fibbed to!

I’m patient enough to see whether a bit of regression currently turns into trending uplift.  And I’d expect to know that before the season is over.  I don’t see the foundations of that, but nor am I naive to think that I know best and might be missing something / lots of things, or that sometimes it just clicks from nowhere.

Questions from me at this point are:

Could he have made progress in a more seamless way?

Could he have waited to implement the changes til the summer?

Could he have just made what he have already, better?

At the moment we are in a period where we making a big assumption it’s because he doesn’t have the players to change mid-season.  That is an unproven hypothesis at the mo’.

But, hoping we see that progress we all want as City fans, and we can go back to talking about the good stuff going on.

If we put to one side for now the rights or wrongs of getting rid of Nige and deal with LM’s tenure.

My gripe is he’s straight away tried to shoehorn the players we have into a system they are not suited for, and haven’t had time to work on in training either. It hasn’t worked yet, and I would argue it was never going to this season. it would have been better surely to make tweaks this season, and then use pre season to make such radical changes. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OliOTIB said:

Need to see what Dire can do, But if all fit I would say our best mix is 

Sykes  Twine  Dire

TC

Am I the only one on here who thinks too much is expected of a 19 year old with 3 professional apps to his name?  It seems to be a bit of a given, that he’s gonna come in and excel.

Hopefully he will, but I’m gonna reserve judgement til I’ve seen him properly.

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

9 minutes ago, OliOTIB said:

Need to see what Dire can do, But if all fit I would say our best mix is 

Sykes  Twine  Dire

TC

I'd consider Sykes-Knight-Twine

Knight clearly has goals in his locker, he scored some in his early days at Derby.

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Am I the only one on here who thinks too much is expected of a 19 year old with 3 professional apps to his name?  It seems to be a bit of a given, that he’s gonna come in and excel.

Hopefully he will, but I’m gonna reserve judgement til I’ve seen him properly.

Agreed. Is he that good that he will just jump to the new left sided addition so soon?

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I'd consider Sykes-Knight-Twine

Knight clearly has goals in his locker, he scored some in his early days at Derby.

Agreed. Is he that good that he will just jump to the new left sided addition so soon?

When do we expect see this left sided action hit the field of play ?

13 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I know it is a tiny sample size so it doesn't mean much in the grand scheme poll wise out of the whole fanbase but we certainly at this time IMO, look so much more comfortable and cohesive with a back 4, indeed with 4-3-3 or with some variation on 4-3-3.

Please, please, please can we stick to this for the foreseeable as our Plan A. I'm not even totally against a back 3 or exploring it down the line but please...

We've spoken a lot about this over the past week. 

Over a year ago our players said they feel more comfortable and its more natural to play in a back 4. 

Why Manning ever went down the back 3 route I don't know. Didn't his boss Tinnion talk to him about this? Didn't the players make their concerns known? 

Whilst its great Manning has had this lighbulb moment, it was totally unnecessary. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Over a year ago our players said they feel more comfortable and its more natural to play in a back 4. 

Why Manning ever went down the back 3 route I don't know. Didn't his boss Tinnion talk to him about this? Didn't the players make their concerns known? 

Whilst its great Manning has had this lighbulb moment, it was totally unnecessary. 

Vyner and Dickie have both regressed playing in back 3. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Probably the same reason that Nige did it?

I don't expect to see Mebude start for some time, not until he earns it by smashing it from the bench, which we all hope he does. 

I get the 3CB's with McCrorie & Pring you have 2 willing attacking WB's . Full squad Naismith could play centrally and step up to add to MF if required. 

They could also work in a 4 , which could have Twine in a 10 and Sykes in the wide role he has done well in. I'm looking forward to seeing how they gel. 

TBH I'd like the system that gets us playing with 2 strikers. 

I don't really mind how we start, I quite like some adaptability and it can work matching up to the opposition .
I think my concerns are playing players in their best positions. I think Knight should be in MF and having Twine might mean he will . I do think we seem to make more chances in a 4 , so there's that. 
I think we will switch back to a 3 Saturday , how long that's for we shall see. When we have Sykes, Twine , Naismith and Atkinson fit (looking forward to adding Ayman Benarous to that list ) we will have the option to play all systems fully , then we will see what Manning really wants. 

6 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Last night might’ve been a one-off!

Quite possibly due to the circumstance of Pring being suspended. 

Roberts definitely had ring rust as you would expect and I think he was very much told to play left back and not get forward much.

I don't think playing LWB would have suited a player with so little match fitness. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Quite possibly due to the circumstance of Pring being suspended. 

Roberts definitely had ring rust as you would expect and I think he was very much told to play left back and not get forward much.

I don't think playing LWB would have suited a player with so little match fitness. 

I watched most of the first hour last night.  The positive for me was that we saw the Haydon Roberts of pre-season, not the one just before injury.  Match fitness levels aside he is a tidy footballer.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I watched most of the first hour last night.  The positive for me was that we saw the Haydon Roberts of pre-season, not the one just before injury.  Match fitness levels aside he is a tidy footballer.

That's good news. Will be interesting to see if he's happy to remain the back up to Pring.

Although, will Pring be gone in the summer?!