IGNORED

Nottingham Forest away fourth round FA Cup replay match thread

Jerseybean

20 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Winter. That is fairly ordinary reporting, sounds more like a dismayed Nottingham Forest fan than an objective reporter to describe our goal.

He has always been a bit of a starf****r really.

Do you have a link to the Henry Winter article as I can’t locate on my Times app? He is usually complimentary towards us to be fair. 

13 minutes ago, eardun said:

Do you have a link to the Henry Winter article as I can’t locate on my Times app? He is usually complimentary towards us to be fair. 

Yeah I'll give it a go..he is usually but that seems I dunno a little un evenhanded. 

Starf****r basically means those who sometimes gravitate towards the more glamourous side etc.

I have Google Searched and nothing yet, nothing on the Times site so far either but will look further.

I have the paper copy in front of me but can't find it online so far.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

VAR at PL grounds only is my rough understanding for the FA Cup.

If handball then Manning should have said something post match. It isn't right that we should be robbed like that when there is VAR to check.

I remember last season when Wolves played Liverpool in the fa cup and there was that offside goal but they didn't have a good enough camera angle. It was said that there was only half of cameras that a PL game was and that was even with ITV broadcasting it. 

My theory is that as this game was not broadcast then there were probably far fewer than 15 cameras. In fact iirc I don't remember there being any other camera angles on the big screens either other than the main camera view. No close ups etc like we get at Ashton Gate. 

So my theory is it was hand ball but that VAR couldn't overrule it because they couldn't say for sure that the ref had made a clear and obvious error because of the lack of a camera angle. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, YorkshireSection said:

I dont think theres anyone out there thats watched Max that would say he cant be outstanding, however he is too inconsistent and every defender worth their salt will tell you about their keeper is that they have to be reliable and dependable and that comes from consistency from reliability.

Max doesnt have that in his game AT THE MOMENT, hes still young, Im sure he will get there, he wont get there without competition for his place and the experience that fight for the jersey gives him.

Had  chance to look again, with added slo mo & zoom , every time it looks more damming and add the reaction of Kouyaté, looks like he thought it might be handball.

Watching the trajectory gives another clue.  I shouldn't complain too much as I didn't want VAR used as it wasn't in the first game, but as it was, having just the one view makes it not fit for purpose IMO.

Edited by 1960maaan
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, YorkshireSection said:

I dont think theres anyone out there thats watched Max that would say he can be outstanding, however he is too inconsistent and every defender worth their salt will tell you about their keeper is that they have to be reliable and dependable and that comes from consistency from reliability.

Max doesnt have that in his game AT THE MOMENT, hes still young, Im sure he will get there, he wont get there without competition for his place and the experience that fight for the jersey gives him.

So Max making numerous outstanding save"s, doesn't make him outstanding.  OK

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Had  chance to look again, with added slo mo & zoom , every time it looks more damming and add the reaction of Kouyaté, looks like he thought it might be handball.

Watching the trajectory gives another clue.  I shouldn't complain too much as I didn't want VAR used as it wasn't in the first game, but as it was, having just the one view makes it not fit for purpose IMO.

It’s the angle change too, it hits something to deflect downwards and towards goal.  There’s only one other thing it can hit to do that - Dick - Origi 🤣🤣🤣

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Winter. That is fairly ordinary reporting, sounds more like a dismayed Nottingham Forest fan than an objective reporter to describe our goal.

He has always been a bit of a starf****r really.

Moved out to Hollywood with his can of tasty foam ?

Edited by Sir Geoff
bolded text
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

My theory is that as this game was not broadcast then there were probably far fewer than 15 cameras. In fact iirc I don't remember there being any other camera angles on the big screens either other than the main camera view. No close ups etc like we get at Ashton Gate. 

So my theory is it was hand ball but that VAR couldn't overrule it because they couldn't say for sure that the ref had made a clear and obvious error because of the lack of a camera angle. 

Agreed. So we were basically robbed because of a bad decision and half arsed implementation of VAR. the club really should have complained about this 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TinMan's left peg said:

Agreed. So we were basically robbed because of a bad decision and half arsed implementation of VAR. the club really should have complained about this 

Still should.

Manning not mentioning it in the post-match is a bit of a surprise. I bet Nuno but especially Cooper when he was there would have moaned for his nation.

11 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Saw this on the Scottish FA site

Screenshot2024-02-09at11_16_11.png.a1e9559e9d02265e5381bb6a96cdfb13.png

I have my doubts there were even 6.

1 hour ago, TinMan's left peg said:

What’s the point in complaining? What are people hoping for if we complain. We won’t get a replay or compensation. It was a crap decision that shouldn’t have affected the game in the end. We should have won the game but didn’t take our chances.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

What’s the point in complaining? What are people hoping for if we complain. We won’t get a replay or compensation. It was a crap decision that shouldn’t have affected the game in the end. We should have won the game but didn’t take our chances.

Yes we should have won, but there should also be accountability .
If we had won it is still a terrible use of VAR. I'd love to know how many cameras there were, why no other angles have been shown and how they came to the decision they got. Pulling them up on mistakes or poor decisions is the only way they improve.

• Like 2

The fundamental problem is the standard of refereeing has dropped to an all time low. 
The introduction of VAR has only made things worse. 
The assistant referee’s ( formerly known as Linesmen) seem to be unable to make decisions or are just blind. 
The PGMOL needs to take responsibility and become clear and open when officials are questioned. If a manager speaks out regarding officiating standards they should be allowed freedom to express an opinion without fear of fines etc. 

The number of camera angles shouldn’t matter the linesman would have had a reasonable view yet didn’t feel able to make a decision!

14 hours ago, eardun said:

I tweeted a complaint to them.   Only two cup relays that night, there was 2.5 pages about Chelsea finally being uncrap and they didn't even list out score. two weeks ago, the Monday edition had match reports of every Championship game except one. Not prizes for guessing which one. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Southport Red said:

I tweeted a complaint to them.   Only two cup relays that night, there was 2.5 pages about Chelsea finally being uncrap and they didn't even list out score. two weeks ago, the Monday edition had match reports of every Championship game except one. Not prizes for guessing which one. 

Well done.

I had a look again online just now.. I know I have the paper copy anyway but it seems very odd and that description of our goal still rankles or am I a little oversensitive on that?

I thought our goal was well worked and though the Nottingham Forest defensive side wasn't the best, that we showed patience and precision, while Knight finished coolly.

I posted it before but I didn't think this was terribly balanced.

"King led the first-half comeback, helping to create the equaliser six minutes after the opening goal. Haydon Roberts pushed down the left, then turned inside and passed to Jason Knight, who dummied his way round Danilo. Knight fed the ball on to King, who was arriving down the inside-right channel 30 yards out. When Forest's five-man defence naively backed off King, the former Leicester City title winner needed no further invitation and shot.

"Turner pushed the shot on to his left upright, the ball bounced across the goal, kissed the right post and was controlled by Bell. Forest's marking was so poor, the responses so sluggish. As Bell turned, Knight made his way through the middle, helped by Cheikou Kouyate not tracking him. Bell rolled the ball in to the unmarked Knight, who placed his shot past Turner".

33 minutes ago, Southport Red said:

Plus on another note, wasn't aware that the Times did Championship match reports or many of them.

I subscribe and The Game is not what it was 20 years ago, or a decade ago. Not at all..I'm sure it used to have widespread coverage of not just the PL but the Football League verbatim.

Doesn't usually have that many Championship reports, would've thought we would be in Saturday's Times as the Leeds game last Friday or Nottingham Forest the one before.

25 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Plus on another note, wasn't aware that the Times did Championship match reports or many of them.

I subscribe and The Game is not what it was 20 years ago, or a decade ago. Not at all..I'm sure it used to have widespread coverage of not just the PL but the Football League verbatim.

Doesn't usually have that many Championship reports, would've thought we would be in Saturday's Times as the Leeds game last Friday or Nottingham Forest the one before.

Their Monday podcast was one of the best around, when hosted by Gab Marcotti. Now it's just happy clappy wall to wall sycophantic premier league coverage.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hertsexile said:

The number of camera angles shouldn’t matter the linesman would have had a reasonable view yet didn’t feel able to make a decision!

The Linesman is usually on the Left Back side, he's looking through players and it happens at pace. He has to be 100% sure. The whole idea of VAR and it's multi camera is to see things the Ref's team miss.  It does seem an obvious decision slowed down and zoomed in on, exactly what VAR do, usually .

Screenshot2024-02-09at15_57_14.png.5897b03f4b3294cc42cbda0e95783e4b.png

4 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Well done.

I had a look again online just now.. I know I have the paper copy anyway but it seems very odd and that description of our goal still rankles or am I a little oversensitive on that?

I thought our goal was well worked and though the Nottingham Forest defensive side wasn't the best, that we showed patience and precision, while Knight finished coolly.

I posted it before but I didn't think this was terribly balanced.

"King led the first-half comeback, helping to create the equaliser six minutes after the opening goal. Haydon Roberts pushed down the left, then turned inside and passed to Jason Knight, who dummied his way round Danilo. Knight fed the ball on to King, who was arriving down the inside-right channel 30 yards out. When Forest's five-man defence naively backed off King, the former Leicester City title winner needed no further invitation and shot.

"Turner pushed the shot on to his left upright, the ball bounced across the goal, kissed the right post and was controlled by Bell. Forest's marking was so poor, the responses so sluggish. As Bell turned, Knight made his way through the middle, helped by Cheikou Kouyate not tracking him. Bell rolled the ball in to the unmarked Knight, who placed his shot past Turner".

interesting writing that.  That IS what happened, but, as you say, emphasised Forest's sloppiness rather than giving any credit to 'little old Bristol City'.  I bet if we had appointed Lampard instead of manning we would be getting much more and better coverage.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, hertsexile said:

The fundamental problem is the standard of refereeing has dropped to an all time low. 
The introduction of VAR has only made things worse. 
The assistant referee’s ( formerly known as Linesmen) seem to be unable to make decisions or are just blind. 
The PGMOL needs to take responsibility and become clear and open when officials are questioned. If a manager speaks out regarding officiating standards they should be allowed freedom to express an opinion without fear of fines etc. 

You reap what you sow. Referees have been the punch bags of media and Managers for years. They lack proper support from the football authorities and surprise surprise the standard is dropping. And less and less people want to be Refs Quite honestly I am amazed anyone would want to become a referee in the current climate. But still they get hammered week in week out. Players have developed cheating to an art form now with the full support of Managers and physio and club officials.Until Refs are properly supported I cannot see things improving.

• Like 1

On 08/02/2024 at 17:35, Mr Popodopolous said:

If you fast forward to the correct bit, rewind and fast forward and pause..

I don't see what else it could be for the Origi goal other than hand or arm but it isn't clearcut.

I just don’t see what else could have happened. The ball was travelling downwards, but then somehow magically then moves forward into goal!

It’s also the number of players who sign “hand ball” not just Max. 

Edited by JP Hampton
  • Like 1

I've finally watched the game, and all I've got to say is: front foot football.

We pressed aggressively (when appropriate), often deep into their defensive third. We got a nice balance of control and direct passing. And we got our shots away.

It won't total domination (obviously!) But the style was very enjoyable. 

15 minutes ago, mozo said:

I've finally watched the game, and all I've got to say is: front foot football.

We pressed aggressively (when appropriate), often deep into their defensive third. We got a nice balance of control and direct passing. And we got our shots away.

It won't total domination (obviously!) But the style was very enjoyable. 

Yeah I actually watched more of the game as opposed to the highlights. We were also going through the middle at times and not simply relying always on the predictable wings. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Southport Red said:

interesting writing that.  That IS what happened, but, as you say, emphasised Forest's sloppiness rather than giving any credit to 'little old Bristol City'.  I bet if we had appointed Lampard instead of manning we would be getting much more and better coverage.

Think you nailed it there.

Lampard v Manning a separate debate but highlighting the PL side sloppy play and there was some, and kind of glossing over our excellence for that goal.