IGNORED

BCFC Heritage and Archive Launched

phantom

I think this is a fantastic initiative but it would be great to bring it to 'real life' with a museum rather than just holding stuff in a digital format.

Although, they are not having my merchandise from my recent mancave project 😂

• Like 1

14- Frank Fielding

1028- Frank Fielding

Hadn't realised he was so old when he joined in 2013

More seriously, there must have been other names that appear twice, so wonder which name repeats the closest together and furthest apart.

Found 

519- David Smith

569- David Smith

735- Dave Smith

Edited by transfer reader
  • Robin 1

@phantom - you might be best placed to know this but in respect of the legacy numbers is it just a list or is it a case that the FPA are reaching out to any players/relatives and providing them with some kind of memento - eg a replica shirt (reproduced) from the season or a photo/plaque with their legacy number on? Could be quite a cool thing in the archive for each player to be posing with their memento?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2015 said:

Some of the players from the seasons they've chose as the main photo have been woeful. Nyatanga, Flapper Phillips, Miller and Butler 😂

Thought the same, Greg Cunningham too, doesn't he ****ing hate us now?

Genuinely thought Tony Butler was Phil Neville at first glance too.

• Haha 1

• Admin
1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

@phantom - you might be best placed to know this but in respect of the legacy numbers is it just a list or is it a case that the FPA are reaching out to any players/relatives and providing them with some kind of memento - eg a replica shirt (reproduced) from the season or a photo/plaque with their legacy number on? Could be quite a cool thing in the archive for each player to be posing with their memento?

Hi @Silvio Dante from what I understand those currently playing and anyone playing in the future will have their legacy number on their shirt (like England cricket). 

From a previous meeting there was a discussion about gifting every living player - or relative if no longer with us, with a City cap with their specific heritage number (again like in cricket) and name sewn in.

I understand discussions are now around production of the caps and who to prioritise for getting them first, as to when that will be I don't know at present, but will be shared in the near future

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, spudski said:

That should be crayoned on t shirts with club badge on, and sold in shop...or given away with STs 😆

'Hi can we have some shirts made up for stocking in club shop please' 

'Yeah how many?'

'Dunno, 1 of each size should probably be enough for now' 

• Haha 1
  • Flames 1

30 minutes ago, nebristolred said:

Thought the same, Greg Cunningham too, doesn't he ****ing hate us now?

Genuinely thought Tony Butler was Phil Neville at first glance too.

It's really nit picky but there are much more important players for us who were not selected as a main photo of that seasons signings/debuts imo. I can name quite a few..

(89-90 Junior Bent who played 1 game that season, I'd have had Gary Shelton myself)
(96-97 Goater ignored)
(98-99 Akinbiyi ignored)
(02-03 Lita ignored)
(09-10 Hartley ignored)
(12-13 Heaton ignored)

The ones chosed were likely friend's of the club.. or Tinman

• Like 3

• Admin
20 minutes ago, 2015 said:

It's really nit picky but there are much more important players for us who were not selected as a main photo of that seasons signings/debuts imo. I can name quite a few..

(89-90 Junior Bent who played 1 game that season, I'd have had Gary Shelton myself)
(96-97 Goater ignored)
(98-99 Akinbiyi ignored)
(02-03 Lita ignored)
(09-10 Hartley ignored)
(12-13 Heaton ignored)

I guess that football is ultimately about opinions

6 minutes ago, phantom said:

I guess that football is ultimately about opinions

It is, but to have Junior Bent as the leading man for the 89/90 debutants to me is just being a bit disrespectful to the likes of Shelton, Smith, Rennie and Sinclair who also made their debuts much earlier on that season and won us promotion.

I admit it's a bit of a silly and ungrateful dig, but still..

22 hours ago, spudski said:

I wonder what's the oldest thing we 'own' related to our Club. 

I don't mean to be rude by saying oldest, so I'm going to change it and say stalwart of the club, and that's Marina Dolman. Aside from some fans, she's probably one of the longest serving public ambassadors we have, and links back to a bygone era for the club.

• Like 1
  • Robin 3

It's a fantastic initiative. I've had the privilege of seeing the prototype of the online archive and it is impressive. The legacy numbers piece is a small part of the project and once the main archive is live it will be a brilliant resource for our fans.

A lot of people have worked very hard on it, and to my knowledge have produced something that few (if any) other clubs have.

• Like 2
  • Robin 1

20 hours ago, 2015 said:

(96-97 Goater ignored)
(98-99 Akinbiyi ignored)
(02-03 Lita ignored)
(09-10 Hartley ignored)
(12-13 Heaton ignored)

It's highly likely the choices were made by committee. Whenever that happens, the final choice is very often a compromise.    

Edited by Merrick's Marvels

One positive action to take would be to go through any relevant material held byBristol Museum Service

A few years ago I visited the museum , down on the docks, and saw a picture of Ashton Gate, circa late 19th/early 20th century, described as a football match.  It clearly was not, given the large numbers of women present.  As an historian I wrote politely suggesting they check their labelling.  They didn’t even answer my letter.  So, if they have other City related material it should be permanently lent to our museum where it will be correctly recorded and viewed by fans.

• Like 1

On 08/02/2024 at 13:16, Ivorguy said:

One positive action to take would be to go through any relevant material held byBristol Museum Service

A few years ago I visited the museum , down on the docks, and saw a picture of Ashton Gate, circa late 19th/early 20th century, described as a football match.  It clearly was not, given the large numbers of women present.  As an historian I wrote politely suggesting they check their labelling.  They didn’t even answer my letter.  So, if they have other City related material it should be permanently lent to our museum where it will be correctly recorded and viewed by fans.

The council have very little sadly. A lot lost during the WW2 bombings I believe.