IGNORED

Great Result, but….

Davefevs

1 minute ago, Port Said Red said:

Here we go, always playing the victim. 

You have an opinion that's obvious, what you don't have is any ability to waiver from that opinion when it's proved completely wrong. You are the absolute opposite of a anyone who should be on a forum, you are incapable of debate, only contradiction.

Why are you so triggered about someone disliking us playing 3/5 at the back? 

You seem to have a real issue with differing opinions. 

If you didnt send things such as the below then youll not be called out on it.

"What is your ******* problem?"

"That you continue to be a ***...... "

Just now, W-S-M Seagull said:

Why are you so triggered about someone disliking us playing 3/5 at the back? 

You seem to have a real issue with differing opinions. 

If you didnt send things such as the below then youll not be called out on it.

"What is your ******* problem?"

"That you continue to be a ***...... "

Playing with a 3 or a 5 has worked for us before, why do you have such a problem with it? I don't have a problem with a different opinion if it comes from a sensible place, but I, the rest of this Forum and especially you, know that you are completely one eyed and every "opinion" you state stems from the fact you can't accept your man is no longer here.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, Port Said Red said:

Playing with a 3 or a 5 has worked for us before, why do you have such a problem with it? I don't have a problem with a different opinion if it comes from a sensible place, but I, the rest of this Forum and especially you, know that you are completely one eyed and every "opinion" you state stems from the fact you can't accept your man is no longer here.

Have a nice evening mate. 

8 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Can tell you right now if big Nige was in charge it would of been the perfect performance but for some reason this wasn’t and needed calling out 

The reason is obvious JL& BT over promised.  Thus some expect more than is likely to be delivered.

I remain a huge fan of Nige but now feel that Manning is doing the same as Nige, ie attempting to make silk purses out of sows’ ears.  If Manning keeps us up, as I anticipate he will, he will have achieved what Nige would have done. No more, no less.

There is unlikely to be improvement unless we stop selling our best players and invest in some quality ones.  We could have Klopp as manager and it wouldn’t make much of a difference to where we end up this season,

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, JAWS said:

Tbh there is some logic to switching things around at half time when ahead to bluff the opposition manager as, in theory, he would be putting a plan in place to counter the way we were playing in the first half. However if we can see things aren't working then we should be looking to change mid game. I guess while we always had the luxury of a 2 goal cushion we had a buffer so as not to panic. If boro had scored earlier then maybe LM would've changed things again. Who knows!? But overall he's got us into a 2 goal lead at a tough place & after the exertions of the recent overload so fair play. The 3 or 5 did work OK against West ham, Watford and Forest but the 3 reverted to a 5 v Leeds & it seems it did so again today and when you play with a 3 & 5 there will always be a tendency to drop into a 5 & 3 as those wide players are invariably fullbacks by trade. Let's hope LM learns lessons by testing things & we certainly have the basis of a good squad just lacking that bit of quality up top.

agree.

I was hugely disappointed with Conways contribution when he came on. sure, he was getting the ball played to his feet, but he neither pressed not tackled back, rather drifted around not offering very much (did a lot of pointing though) compare to Wells who also rarely gets the ball played into feet, but is much much wiser at positioning himself to interfere with play, he tackles back and chases lost causes much more effectively.

Without any forward threat whatsoever, the ball was just coming straight back at us all half. one of the reasons we spent so much time defending. Mehmeti also offered little by way of intelligence in the situation too IMO, but at least tackled back.

I would have subbed Conway and thrown the new kid on personally.

he looked like he wasn't interested

Just now, Antman said:

agree.

I was hugely disappointed with Conways contribution when he came on. sure, he WASNT getting the ball played to his feet, but he neither pressed not tackled back, rather drifted around not offering very much (did a lot of pointing though) compare to Wells who also rarely gets the ball played into feet, but is much much wiser at positioning himself to interfere with play, he tackles back and chases lost causes much more effectively.

Without any forward threat whatsoever, the ball was just coming straight back at us all half. one of the reasons we spent so much time defending. Mehmeti also offered little by way of intelligence in the situation too IMO, but at least tackled back.

• Flames 2

14 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I thought it was a top class save. I also thought Bell was a little unlucky in that the pass meant he got to the ball about a metre from the goalkeeper and he had no room to do much but try and hit it through him.

The keeper was already going down to his left before Bell shot. Seen it a few times now and it looked a lot easier to round the keeper and roll the ball in with his left foot. I also thought him and Harry caused them lots of problems. 

If we'd gone in at ht 4 up nobody would mention the change of tactics..... Let's just savour the win. 

• Like 2

where's the edit facility gone?

Just now, CityCiderEd said:

The keeper was already going down to his left before Bell shot. Seen it a few times now and it looked a lot easier to round the keeper and roll the ball in with his left foot. I also thought him and Harry caused them lots of problems. 

If we'd gone in at ht 4 up nobody would mention the change of tactics..... Let's just savour the win. 

to me, Bell just hesitated at the wrong moment, also think he could have knocked it around him.

9 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Can tell you right now if big Nige was in charge it would of been the perfect performance but for some reason this wasn’t and needed calling out 

This is the reason I mentioned Sunderland - UNDER MANNING.  That was a controlled defensive performance in that second half.  All Sunderland could do was create from a couple of set-pieces.  Imho that was chalk and cheese to today.

The manager is irrelevant.

As per someone else’s post, you earn the right if you play so well first half and go in two-nil up.  But it was far from convincing defending.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

The reason is obvious JL& BT over promised.  Thus some expect more than is likely to be delivered.

I remain a huge fan of Nige but now feel that Manning is doing the same as Nige, ie attempting to make silk purses out of sows’ ears.  If Manning keeps us up, as I anticipate he will, he will have achieved what Nige would have done. No more, no less.

There is unlikely to be improvement unless we stop selling our best players and invest in some quality ones.  We could have Klopp as manager and it wouldn’t make much of a difference to where we end up this season,

Mostly agree albeit if we stick with a framework that suits us and at worst sell Conway- the final year of his contract..and we don't try too much upheaval ie James, Williams, King leaving in one summer Could be some then under Manning we could continue to progress and build.

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

This is the reason I mentioned Sunderland - UNDER MANNING.  That was a controlled defensive performance in that second half.  All Sunderland could do was create from a couple of set-pieces.  Imho that was chalk and cheese to today.

The manager is irrelevant.

As per someone else’s post, you earn the right if you play so well first half and go in two-nil up.  But it was far from convincing defending.

Yes good example.

I was never as concerned as some post Sunderland. We did absorb a fair bit of pressure but at the same time didn't feel like Sunderland would score.

An element of that was perhaps due to their lack of a top class striker too- put Stewart, Simms/Geldhardt and Diallo in and it could play out quite differently but thought we had that under control that day.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Think we have to factor in that Manning really was desperate for a win, not that he would say that of course. No doubt thought that subs would cement control or at least add energy. Did not entirely prove to be so however. Not one to over analyse, one to applaud.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Antman said:

agree.

I was hugely disappointed with Conways contribution when he came on. sure, he was getting the ball played to his feet, but he neither pressed not tackled back, rather drifted around not offering very much (did a lot of pointing though) compare to Wells who also rarely gets the ball played into feet, but is much much wiser at positioning himself to interfere with play, he tackles back and chases lost causes much more effectively.

I do like Tommy but I do get the feeling sometimes he thinks he’s better than he is , very early in his career and needs to put the hard yards in ( deffo quality player in there though ) just think with scotty moving it’s turned his head a little 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

I do feel like this thread wouldn't have happened under Pearson, Manning rightly gets stuck after performances like Leeds at home, but he should also rightly get praise after performances like today 

They happened under him too.  Unfortunately some of those posters who had it in for Nige wouldn’t have created any positive posts re other aspects of the game like I did. 🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

He didn't know that at half time, though

… and neither did you or I. Had LM made no change and as a result, we’d drawn or lost, you’d have been the first to complain (actually probably the second, after the WSM fella). He made changes, we won.

We should all be happy tonight - unless, of course, it doesn’t suit our agenda to be happy with LM?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

A huge sense of disappointment, frustration and anger about the second half performance.

No problem with a half-time sub (assume Cornick a knock), but why the change in shape from the first half where we controlled so much of the 45 mins?

They played through us, around us, behind us.  We had no answer.  CB spacing went to pot as they slid in their forwards.

To end, well done though, three points, winless run over, a big boost after a tough set of fixtures.

And chilllllllllll. 😉

Game of two halves, first was seemingly just enough better than the first, 3pts boom 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Having not seen the game, and as someone who has expressed doubts over Liam’s in game management, I’m just posting here to say I’m not hiding - I just don’t think I’m appropriately qualified to comment today so will leave the debate to the rest of you!

Thanks for that :noexp:

• Facepalm 1

To me, looking at it objectively good and bad today..

Obviously the win but beyond that.

Good

*A sensible team selection.

*A suitable starting shape.

*Getting something more out of Knight again ie his improved goal return has been a positive.

Not so good

*The change in shape..perhaps ceded the initiative somewhat.

*The sheer lack of ball and chances that this brought about.

Yes Manning deserves credit for the good, as he deserves analysis for the other side.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

They happened under him too.  Unfortunately some of those posters who had it in for Nige wouldn’t have created any positive posts re other aspects of the game like I did. 🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️

Let’s be better than them though Dave.  Those who know what you mean know but it’s not going to wash with the anti Pearson crew!   I didn’t watch today, but I did watch us go toe to toe with Forest on Wednesday and be the better team and ultimately come away with **** all.  To go away to Boro and get a win is superb however it happened. So let’s enjoy it!  (I know you are btw)

• Like 2

Don’t really understand this tbh, playing well doesn’t just mean creating chances or being in control? 

The personnel change was more of an issue for me rather than the tactical. Cornick had probably his best half of football for us today and only played 60 v Forest. 

From my eyes, it was a commited defensive performance more than a structured one. Personally I don’t have a problem with that, we got the result either way and we’re unlucky not to keep the clean sheet too. 

Manning recognised that the borough that came out second half weren’t going to play like they did in the first. So he preemptively made changes, is that not a good thing? 

Was a good performance, not a pretty one. If that’s what it takes for us to win games I have no problem with it. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Perhaps they did, can't fully remember many after unexpected wins like today.

My point there was that Manning gets stick when we lose, huge threads complaining about our performances (rightly so in many instances), having another thread complaining about aspects of our performance when we've won just seems unnecessarily harsh, it's the sort of thing I can't remember happening under Pearson. There's stuff to work on from today, of course there is, but it's hardly the sort of performance to be angry about imo

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Having not seen the game, and as someone who has expressed doubts over Liam’s in game management, I’m just posting here to say I’m not hiding - I just don’t think I’m appropriately qualified to comment today so will leave the debate to the rest of you!

Neither am I appropriately qualified having listened the game on RB but it’s not rocket science to know that a team 0-2 at home will come out second 45, fired up and on the front foot. It’s no surprise that that City’s performances were different between the first and second halves.

The Boro goal was very fortunate and made the last few mins very tense.

An important 3 points for sure especially as the City players were running on empty towards the end.

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

A huge sense of disappointment, frustration and anger about the second half performance.

No problem with a half-time sub (assume Cornick a knock), but why the change in shape from the first half where we controlled so much of the 45 mins?

They played through us, around us, behind us.  We had no answer.  CB spacing went to pot as they slid in their forwards.

To end, well done though, three points, winless run over, a big boost after a tough set of fixtures.

And chilllllllllll. 😉

Same on Wednesday, we made the subs and changed shape (in part due to personnel) and lost control for the last half hour of normal time.

Musf admit I haven’t seen today or read anything yet, except catching a bit of radio bristol and your opening post, but my initial excitement at the result seems like it doesn’t tell the full picture

but points are points!

5 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Neither am I appropriately qualified having listened the game on RB but it’s not rocket science to know that a team 0-2 at home will come out second 45, fired up and on the front foot. It’s no surprise that that City’s performances were different between the first and second halves.

The Boro goal was very fortunate and made the last few mins very tense.

An important 3 points for sure especially as the City players were running on empty towards the end.

The question I have tho is this, did Boro come out fired up? Or did us changing our shape and therefore our mentality cause them to come out fired up and on the front foot? 

5 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

but points are points!

Indeed.  And just like when we might lose, there are positives to take, and I’ll post about them, there is nothing wrong to critique a win and some “less than good” parts.

• Like 3

as a pearson lover,i will be the first to go and say 'well done Liam, from cov,leeds,boro and saints, i didnt see us getting a single point, to have 4 on the board and a great performance at forest in the bank deserves credit so  there it is. Well done.

• Like 3