IGNORED

Great Result, but….

Davefevs

2 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Well we did - we decided to contain & protect a 2-0 lead & we won the game. 

If we'd have kept trying to pile forward against an improved, quality side who were chasing the game, they'd probably have overturned the deficit.

Albeit if we had posed more of a threat on the break, contained to pose at 2-0 perhaps they wouldn't have pinned us back so much.

Did switching to a back 3 with wingbacks make it easier for them to isolate the wingbacks? It can definitely happen.

5 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

You have to win in a certain way cmon you must no that,setting up to to protect a 2-0 nil lead is unthinkable to some 

We won but i understand your point. Who gives a carp. Winning is all that matters.

Edited by BigTone
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

In respect of the change in tactics at HT/post HT,I haven't listened so much to Forever Bristol City but Ian Gay's take and possibly mental gymnastics on it will be an interesting one to tune in for.

As long as we do t have to mentally picture him in a leotard.

• Facepalm 1

1 minute ago, Bar BS3 said:

Well we did - we decided to contain & protect a 2-0 lead & we won the game. 

If we'd have kept trying to pile forward against an improved, quality side who were chasing the game, they'd probably have overturned the deficit.

Spot on Bar BS3 - I’m surprised that others don’t all agree. It ain’t rocket science after all.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Albeit if we had posed more of a threat on the break, contained to pose at 2-0 perhaps they wouldn't have pinned us back so much.

Did switching to a back 3 with wingbacks make it easier for them to isolate the wingbacks? It can definitely happen.

Possibly, but we wanted a win & got it.

Job done ✔️ 

• Like 2

Just now, joe jordans teeth said:

You have to win in a certain way cmon you must no that,setting up to to protect a 2-0 nil lead is unthinkable to some 

If giving up territory and possession was the best way to defend a lead… no one is suggesting going gung ho, but think we could have protected the lead in a way that left us less exposed. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

We had no threat going forward second half. 

Whilst it paid off today there will be many times where limiting our attacking threat wont! 

I don't understand why there is this common belief that its a given Boro were always going to come out and play better? 

• Like 2

I thought the second half was rubbish. It's ok to sit a little deeper but we just had nothing in the second half going forwards moreso as the half went on.

Conway isn't a striker who can play that isolated role well at all, the ball didn't stick and all he was good for was making sure that Middlesbrough had to keep some players back.

We had absolutely nothing on the counter, Middlesbrough were able to sit in our half with no fear that we were going to be able to hit them with a quick counter.

We were unable to retain the ball when we had it to relieve pressure.

The second half tactics seemed to rely on us being able to made last ditch challenges for 45 minutes. There were probably enough chances for Middlesbrough to get something from the second half whereas we were beyond toothless for the whole of it.

It wasn't disaterous, but it was not very good either. We just dont have the players to play the way we were set up in the second half.

It feels like most of the replies are binary in that we won so everything was ok, but I think if you play the way we did 2nd half with a 2-0 lead and you'll probably end up dropping points in as many as you will hold on to a lead.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Flames 2

1 minute ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

We had no threat going forward second half. 

Whilst it paid off today there will be many times where limiting our attacking threat wont! 

I don't understand why there is this common belief that its a given Boro were always going to come out and play better? 

Any decent side will come out & play better in the second half if they go in 0-2 down at half time, especially at home. 

15 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

We moved to the back 3 right at the start of the second 45, not when McCrorie came on, fwiw.

This is a cracking thread, Dave, I love the fact that your frustration about the second half change in formation has caused such debate!

I didn't see the game so have no idea, but what would you have done differently?

By the sounds of it, it makes this remarkable win even more incredible!

19 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

We moved to the back 3 right at the start of the second 45, not when McCrorie came on, fwiw.

16 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Did we? From where I saw it, Mehmeti was a straight swap for Cornick and McCrorie came on for Bell at around 60 minutes which saw a change in shape.

Not always easy to see shape from the angle we were at though!

This is an interesting and this was rudimentary stats but 60-90 hugely was worse than 45-60.

46-60 still posed some degree of threat.

Screenshot_20240210-200324_Chrome.thumb.jpg.b2c18df0404e867846530e903ddf8108.jpg

61 to the end..

Screenshot_20240210-200428_Chrome.thumb.jpg.3bbd9f83b707dab2e51700a6236bf944.jpg

If the change took place on 60 rather than 45, it well and truly pushed us down and back.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

People were quick enough to complain about not having won (league) this year, despite arguably being better team in 4 games against Premier league opposition.

Leeds & Preston games were disappointing, of course - but bar those - I think we look so much better than we did earlier in the season (yes, under NP, for those who feel rhe need to make the comparrison)

Way to early to judge LM yet - but I'm definitely encouraged more than anything else, so far. 

6 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

This is a cracking thread, Dave, I love the fact that your frustration about the second half change in formation has caused such debate!

I didn't see the game so have no idea, but what would you have done differently?

By the sounds of it, it makes this remarkable win even more incredible!

Not at all. We won by scoring more than them. That is the purpose of the game.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

This is an interesting and this was rudimentary stats but 60-90 hugely was worse than 45-60.

45-60 still posed some degree of threat.

Screenshot_20240210-200324_Chrome.thumb.jpg.b2c18df0404e867846530e903ddf8108.jpg

61 to the end..

Screenshot_20240210-200428_Chrome.thumb.jpg.3bbd9f83b707dab2e51700a6236bf944.jpg

If the change took place on 60 rather than 45, it well and truly pushed us down and back.

That's fair, but I think that was as much to do with Boro really, we were under the cosh for the whole 2nd half, tried to change it to counteract that but failed to.

The way I'm seeing it is how we played in the 2nd half isn't how Manning will want us to play in the long run, it was a reaction to being 2 up and tiring rapidly after playing 120 minutes mid week. If we started the match in that vein, I'd be concerned, but we didn't, far from it. Nothing to be disappointed or angry about with it imo

13 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

That’s stating the obvious though,did it need a thread 

Why not?  It’s common to start threads after a game, things get lost in the MDT. 🤷🏻‍♂️

8 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

You have to win in a certain way cmon you must no that, setting up to to protect a 2-0 nil lead is unthinkable to some 

I have no issue with trying to protect a lead, but you can do that in different ways. But for a manager who talks so much about controlling possession it feels weird that wasn’t his solution to take the sting out of an opponent?  If we’d bored them to death second half, I’d be thinking very different tonight.  It was more the manner of what happened.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Any decent side will come out & play better in the second half if they go in 0-2 down at half time, especially at home. 

Mate I've watched so many Bristol City games where we've been 2 nil down and we havent done as you say. 

I've watched even more football games in general where that hasn't happened. 

The changes we made invited the pressure. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Why not?  It’s common to start threads after a game, things get lost in the MDT. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I have no issue with trying to protect a lead, but you can do that in different ways. But for a manager who talks so much about controlling possession it feels weird that wasn’t his solution to take the sting out of an opponent?  If we’d bored them to death second half, I’d be thinking very different tonight.  It was more the manner of what happened.

Yea for a head coach who says "if they've not got the ball they can't score" it's very strange that we let them have the ball. 

He's constantly going on about principles but then his principles are ever changing. 

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Dave mate you don’t like him much do you,do you think a manager can be judged in a year at our place let alone a few months 

5 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Not at all. We won by scoring more than them. That is the purpose of the game.

Indeed.

We won by comprehensively outplaying them in the first half and scoring two goals.

They outplayed us in the second half and scored one goal.

Therein lies the story of the game :yes:

Hic 🍺

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

A huge sense of disappointment, frustration and anger about the second half performance.

No problem with a half-time sub (assume Cornick a knock), but why the change in shape from the first half where we controlled so much of the 45 mins?

They played through us, around us, behind us.  We had no answer.  CB spacing went to pot as they slid in their forwards.

To end, well done though, three points, winless run over, a big boost after a tough set of fixtures.

And chilllllllllll. 😉

Exactly  right 2nd we were  awful glad we didn't concede earlier no chance we would have held on.Manning still got loads  of convincing in my eyes, & yes of course  I want him too.

3 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Mate I've watched so many Bristol City games where we've been 2 nil down and we havent done as you say. 

I've watched even more football games in general where that hasn't happened. 

The changes we made invited the pressure. 

I feel the fact we played 120 minutes midweek invited the pressure.

We didn't press anywhere near as well as the 2nd half went on, we looked knackered and off our feet. The changes pushed us deeper, but at that point we were trying to conserve the win, going for anything more would have been ridiculous, they'd have walked through us

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

But for a manager who talks so much about controlling possession it feels weird that wasn’t his solution to take the sting out of an opponent?  If we’d bored them to death second half, I’d be thinking very different tonight.  It was more the manner of what happened.

You think we could've come out and simply dominated possession? 

Come on....

• Like 2