IGNORED

This place….

italian dave

I created 3 threads alone.

One was the “but” thread, which was my initial reaction to the second half after the final whistle.

The other two, one extolling the performances on Tanner, the other way Wells and Knight led an excellent front line press / block and his the others backed it up.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, italian dave said:

Back from Middlesbrough, and check in here expecting to find some happiness and some positivity after a great day…and what do I find? Just two new post match threads: one seemingly designed to provoke an argument, and the other headed “…..But”

Come on.

We’ve got a result no-one really expected for the second time in 4 days. We’ve romped to a two goal lead playing some great football, and then defended that lead successfully, only conceding one lucky-ish goal in injury time. We’ve done that after playing 120 minutes at a PL side only 4 days earlier, whilst Middlesbrough had a free week.

And, R####s lost at home.

Let’s just celebrate. Well done lads!

(And thanks @Olé for bringing a bit of positivity!) 

Couldn’t agree more,some people are just negative nellys 

• Like 7

16 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

One was the “but” thread, which was my initial reaction to the second half after the final whistle.

The other two, one extolling the performances on Tanner, the other way Wells and Knight led an excellent front line press / block and his the others backed it up.

We need one about Cornick. 

He was incredible today. 

Must start against Soton.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

We need one about Cornick. 

He was incredible today. 

Must start against Soton.

He was perfect against Ayling.  Said in the MDT, LM playing him left on Ayling and Bell on the right v Engel was spot on.  Ayling would’ve tried to bully Bell with his physicality, even though Sam would do him for pace.  But Cornick can be an awkward bugger to play against, as he proved today.

It would’ve been a sweet moment had Bell scored that 1-on-1 after Cornick’s fine build-up play.

I think LM said it was a bit of fatigue not injury.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

He was perfect against Ayling.  Said in the MDT, LM playing him left on Ayling and Bell on the right v Engel was spot on.  Ayling would’ve tried to bully Bell with his physicality, even though Sam would do him for pace.  But Cornick can be an awkward bugger to play against, as he proved today.

It would’ve been a sweet moment had Bell scored that 1-on-1 after Cornick’s fine build-up play.

I'm a huge fan of Cornick. I think he's had some unfair stick from our fanbase. But I can't really remember a time where he's not put a shift in? 

I think we need to find a way of fitting him into the team on a more regular basis because I think he's a real nuisance and does all the dirty stuff well. 

That ball to Bell was just beautiful. 

I'm not quite sure why he would be fatigued? Lack of playing time? 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I'm a huge fan of Cornick. I think he's had some unfair stick from our fanbase. But I can't really remember a time where he's not put a shift in? 

I think we need to find a way of fitting him into the team on a more regular basis because I think he's a real nuisance and does all the dirty stuff well. 

That ball to Bell was just beautiful. 

I'm not quite sure why he would be fatigued? Lack of playing time? 

He always puts a shift in, and although I don’t think we’ve played him to his strengths, he hasn’t always done himself justice.  But recent performances show he can contribute in this squad.  He’s a bit different.

Yes, lack of minutes / match fitness lacking .

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

We are definitely getting better and are now winning some matches we would not normally be expected to get the 3 points. However, ones where we should have the 3 points in the bag we end up with a draw. There are still some inconsistent performances, but we are on the right track for now.

Hope fully the inconsistency in performances will eventually balance out and it will end up a good season in the history of this well supported club.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Fatigue most likely.  However, Belly should have nailed that one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, City oz said:

Fatigue most likely.  However, Belly should have nailed that one.

I said elsewhere that when you see the replay the keeper had really done well to get in close to him so he had no options. Maybe he could have tried to go around him, but there is always the risk that a defender will come in to cover.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

I said elsewhere that when you see the replay the keeper had really done well to get in close to him so he had no options. Maybe he could have tried to go around him, but there is always the risk that a defender will come in to cover.

Not seen it again since 'live' (pretty sure the stream I was watching was about 2 minutes behind) but my instinct was Bell should have done better.

Whether that was hitting it without slowing his stride (iirc the keeper had slipped), lofting it, or rounding the keeper he did none and hit it at the goalkeeper.

I try and be consistent regardless of player or team and I think back to the Leeds game where some were giving Max obscene praise for shots being hit straight at him, here Bell hits it at their keeper.

Caveat being Glover(?) had to recover from a slip and did well in that aspect, but the miss was more down to striker error than goalkeeping excellence imo.

14 minutes ago, transfer reader said:

Not seen it again since 'live' (pretty sure the stream I was watching was about 2 minutes behind) but my instinct was Bell should have done better.

Whether that was hitting it without slowing his stride (iirc the keeper had slipped), lofting it, or rounding the keeper he did none and hit it at the goalkeeper.

I try and be consistent regardless of player or team and I think back to the Leeds game where some were giving Max obscene praise for shots being hit straight at him, here Bell hits it at their keeper.

Caveat being Glover(?) had to recover from a slip and did well in that aspect, but the miss was more down to striker error than goalkeeping excellence imo.

Oh I agree that on another occasion he would score, I think he would expect to get 1 out of 3 of those. There was a camera angles from behind the goal on the replay that seemed to show he was smothered pretty quickly once he straightened up, but I think that he should have continued his angled run and trusted himself to round the keeper. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, italian dave said:

Back from Middlesbrough, and check in here expecting to find some happiness and some positivity after a great day…and what do I find? Just two new post match threads: one seemingly designed to provoke an argument, and the other headed “…..But”

Come on.

We’ve got a result no-one really expected for the second time in 4 days. We’ve romped to a two goal lead playing some great football, and then defended that lead successfully, only conceding one lucky-ish goal in injury time. We’ve done that after playing 120 minutes at a PL side only 4 days earlier, whilst Middlesbrough had a free week.

It does feel like some don't want City to win as it goes against their poor perception of Manning and the club. 

It's like City losing justifies their opinion and so they must find negatives if we do well to counter the win/performance.

• Like 1

Thats the 4 points that most said before this run of very hard games would be a good return, particularly on the back of all the FA cup games where we have been superb against prem sides. Southampton I think will be even more difficult than Leeds, even more so with players who looked totally out on there feet towards the end yesterday, but you never know what this game can bring.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Oh I agree that on another occasion he would score, I think he would expect to get 1 out of 3 of those. There was a camera angles from behind the goal on the replay that seemed to show he was smothered pretty quickly once he straightened up, but I think that he should have continued his angled run and trusted himself to round the keeper. 

Have watched it again now 

He definitely slowed his run as he approached the ball, quite significantly which is why he was closed down so quickly.

I really haven't been convinced by Bell that he will be of the level needed if we as a club want to push on (though, I absolutely hope he proves me wrong- same with Max).

He is only 21 so has plenty of scope to improve still and I wonder if there was a bit of a mental fatigue/hangover from the Forest game.

I do think that with players like Bell and Conway is that because they broke into the team very young, it's easy to think "he's been in the side 2 years now, why isn't he better than this" and forget that they're still young players and people (myself included) can that have overly high expectations as a result.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Morning Dave!

You did! To be honest, I had a quick look when we stopped for a break on the way home and just seemed like there was none of the elation I was feeling. I did see the Tanner one when I got home, missed the Wells/Knight one: I put it down to fatigue - Middlesbrough and back in a day is a long drive!

And, although your ‘but’ did play its part, it wasn’t just that!

I just couldn’t help thinking of all those defeats and the threads that usually follow. A thread on almost every individual player and their faults. At least two on Manning and his deficiencies. And probably a poll on whether the Lansdowns should be publicly humiliated or merely exiled. (I’m exaggerating, but you get my drift!)

But yesterday, nothing on how sound Max was, nothing on the amazing Dickie and Vyner - ever present but still timing tackles and throwing bodies in when necessary. Nothing on how Pring and Cornick dominated that left side. And so on. 

And, nothing on Manning. You can critique individual decisions to rest, start, sub individual players, you can critique how we set up and manage games, but overall I think he and his back room team deserve huge credit for the way they’ve managed what’s been an incredibly taxing period with a small squad. We’ve had a far more difficult schedule to manage than either of our last two opponents and yet we finished much the stronger side on Wednesday and yesterday we stormed into a two goal lead which, until the 92nd minute, we never looked like losing.

So, not aimed at you (I acknowledge you did start the only two threads about individuals) and I know others have made comments on some of the other performances I’ve mentioned above.

It was just that a quick look at the forum at 7 yesterday seemed so quiet compared to when we lose, and didn’t seem to reflect what was a great performance as well as result. 

Edited by italian dave
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1
  • Robin 2

1 hour ago, transfer reader said:

I wonder if that slip was the vital ingredient in Bell not tucking it away. Probably made him think he had a shade more time, and Glover was suddenly on top of him.

Bell is a nice finisher generally Imho

45 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Can’t remember which striker I saw interviewed, but he insisted that even if he was straight down the middle, he’d always go to one side to create an angle.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Morning Dave!

You did! To be honest, I had a quick look when we stopped for a break on the way home and just seemed like there was none of the elation I was feeling. I did see the Tanner one when I got home, missed the Wells/Knight one: I put it down to fatigue - Middlesbrough and back in a day is a long drive!

And, although your ‘but’ did play its part, it wasn’t just that!

I just couldn’t help thinking of all those defeats and the threads that usually follow. A thread on almost every individual player and their faults. At least two on Manning and his deficiencies. And probably a poll on whether the Lansdowns should be publicly humiliated or merely exiled. (I’m exaggerating, but you get my drift!)

But yesterday, nothing on how sound Max was, nothing on the amazing Dickie and Vyner - ever present but still timing tackles and throwing bodies in when necessary. Nothing on how Pring and Cornick dominated that left side. And so on. 

And, nothing on Manning. You can critique individual decisions to rest, start, sub individual players, you can critique how we set up and manage games, but overall I think he and his back room team deserve huge credit for the way they’ve managed what’s been an incredibly taxing period with a small squad. We’ve had a far more difficult calendar to manage than either of our last two opponents and yet we finished much the stronger side on Wednesday and yesterday we stormed into a two goal lead which, until the 92nd minute, we never looked like losing.

So, not aimed at you (I acknowledge you did start the only two threads about individuals) and I know others have made comments on some of the other performances I’ve mentioned above.

It was just that a quick look at the forum at 7 yesterday seemed so quiet compared to when we lose, and didn’t seem to reflect what was a great performance as well as result. 

Morning my Italian Namesake!

A funny forum last night, and appreciate I may have contributed to it, but it was how I felt at the end of the game.  Nor was it criticism only.  I think most stuff stayed on the MDT.  In a perverse way Max didn’t seem to get much credit, because it kinda accepts we were under the cosh..

I mentioned Manning’s team selection, and playing Cornick on the left and Bell right was spot on.  I keep mentioning LM’s efficient press.  For me it is the most tangible change since he came in.  And we scored from it too (James).

I can’t praise Dickie enough, all season.  He’s my POTY.

Him and Vyner made some great last-ditch interventions.  My only criticism is they shouldn’t have to.  That’s not all they’re doing too. We ran out of steam in front of them too.

I think part of the issue (generalisation) is the posters who only post one way or the other, only come out when the result suits their purpose.  Then the discussion goes out the window.

Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 4

12 hours ago, italian dave said:

Come on.

.... it's coming like a ghost town, Dave. Too much fighting on the Matchdaythtead .....

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, italian dave said:

Back from Middlesbrough, and check in here expecting to find some happiness and some positivity after a great day…and what do I find?

I’d try chocolate rather than coming on here for a sense of happiness. 

1 hour ago, italian dave said:

Perhaps, just perhaps, people were enjoying the 3 points outside of this forum. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Can’t remember which striker I saw interviewed, but he insisted that even if he was straight down the middle, he’d always go to one side to create an angle.

I was always taught as a kid. If I was clean through , run towards the far post to drag the keeper out. That wasn’t possible for Sam yesterday but in general it works 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Morning my Italian Namesake!

A funny forum last night, and appreciate I may have contributed to it, but it was how I felt at the end of the game.  Nor was it criticism only.  I think most stuff stayed on the MDT.  In a perverse way Max didn’t seem to get much credit, because it kinda accepts we were under the cosh..

I mentioned Manning’s team selection, and playing Cornick on the left and Bell right was spot on.  I keep mentioning LM’s efficient press.  For me it is the most tangible change since he came in.  And we scored from it too (James).

I can’t praise Dickie enough, all season.  He’s my POTY.

Him and Vyner made some great last-ditch interventions.  My only criticism is they shouldn’t have to.  That’s not all they’re doing too. We ran out of steam in front of them too.

I think part of the issue (generalisation) is the posters who only post one way or the other, only come out when the result suits their purpose.  Then the discussion goes out the window.

Thats an interesting point about the MDT Dave. I always find it hard getting into that from a standing start! But 30 pages would maybe suggest what you say.

With no scientific evidence at all, I’ve always thought that they tend to be longer after a poor result than a good one. So 30 pages yesterday would be unusual! 

• Like 2