IGNORED

Which Luton player did we sign before Naismith? smith!?

Coin-op

Just now, GrahamC said:

Anyone who ever wonders why Wilson was rightly sacked afterwards should be made to watch this game every week until they get it.

It was as if no-one told the players it was a big match. Before the game I was chatting to some BHA fans, they just assumed we'd win easily but they thought it would give their campaign for a new stadium a bit of publicity!

Sat for hours in traffic on the M4 afterwards didn't help the mood.

Just now, TDarwall said:

It was as if no-one told the players it was a big match. Before the game I was chatting to some BHA fans, they just assumed we'd win easily but they thought it would give their campaign for a new stadium a bit of publicity!

I reckon Knight’s penalty was the first shot on target.

Absolutely dire game.

• Robin 1

20 minutes ago, TDarwall said:

You were lucky.

We were sat for hours in a car park next to the ground.

Thought we’d done well getting there early to get one so close.

What we didn’t realise is that the road it exited onto was closed after the game.

And that most of the other cars in it seemed to belong to Brighton fans.

It was like the awful experience of those 90 minutes being extended for another 90! 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

47 minutes ago, TDarwall said:

Despite being at Twerton for "that game", the Brighton final remains my most depressing experience as a City fan (& to be fair, its had a lot or challengers over the years!).

41 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Absolutely.

Saw a couple of terrible hammerings at Twerton but much as I hate to admit it, Rovers under Francis were very effective in both of those games.

Brighton were just as bad as us but we were absolute litter, totally gutless & wouldn’t have scored if they had packed up & gone home.

Anyone who ever wonders why Wilson was rightly sacked afterwards should be made to watch this game every week until they get it.

Didn’t we also put up a woeful “play it safe” 0-0 performance against them at Ashton Gate a couple of games before the end of that season?

If we’d won that we’d have gone up without needing a play off.

• Like 1

Just now, italian dave said:

Didn’t we also put up a woeful “play it safe” 0-0 performance against them at Ashton Gate a couple of games before the end of that season?

If we’d won that we’d have gone up without needing a play off.

Could be, we def stuffed them away (4-1, I think?).

• Like 1

If we had signed Bob Hatton from Luton, back in the day, then set out to sign say Micky Gynn from wherever he was (Posh, I think, GrahamC will confirm), then we could've had a recruitment based terrace song with a nod to Leonard Cohen:

"First we sign Bob Hatton, then we sign Mick Gynn"

although the football lads would probably have gone down the "take" road there, with a

"First we take the Tote End, then we take the ..... "

• Robin 1

2 hours ago, TDarwall said:

Despite being at Twerton for "that game", the Brighton final remains my most depressing experience as a City fan (& to be fair, its had a lot or challengers over the years!).

I think Graham C was referring to the Championship Play Off Final v Hull in 2008 when the Brighton fan mate of his now in his 30s was still at school. Obviously, mention of Brighton and play off final brought terrible memories back of the 3rd tier play off final in 2004 when his Brighton supporting mate had probably not long started senior school. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, TDarwall said:

The thing about "that game" was that we still had a game or two that to get the win that guaranteed promotion, so although it was painful, it wasn't the end of the world. In the end we were promoted by a result elsewhere (Reading v ???) on a day we weren't even playing. So the only thing that Rovers actually got over us from that game was the Div 3 title, which I really wasn't bothered about at the time. Promotion was 99% of the prize. I mean who really cares how many 3rd tier titles you've won....

The Brighton game was far worse because it was actually the end and promotion was gone.

5 minutes ago, fgrsimon said:

The thing about "that game" was that we still had a game or two that to get the win that guaranteed promotion, so although it was painful, it wasn't the end of the world. In the end we were promoted by a result elsewhere (Reading v ???) on a day we weren't even playing. So the only thing that Rovers actually got over us from that game was the Div 3 title, which I really wasn't bothered about at the time. Promotion was 99% of the prize. I mean who really cares how many 3rd tier titles you've won....

The Brighton game was far worse because it was actually the end and promotion was gone.

I think it was Notts County who didn`t win at Wycombe on a Thursday that got us up. It all felt a bit flat TBH.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

I think it was Notts County who didn`t win at Wycombe on a Thursday that got us up. It all felt a bit flat TBH.

Yes I think you're right about Notts County but it was Reading not Wycombe. I don't think Wycombe were even a League Club at that point. It's coming back to me now, the scorer was Scott Taylor of Reading. Should be more famous at AG as the player who got us promoted but never played for us, in the same way that Colin Daniel is celebrated as the player who relegated Rovers to Non League.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Managed by a certain Colin W, I believe.  

We then stuffed Walsall on the Sat but the Sags won too (Blackpool?) to win the title.