IGNORED

Gareth Southgate booed at Villa,WHY?

20 minutes ago, Bristolisredd said:

Blokes a muppet the sooner he goes the better 

‘Muppet’ is incredibly harsh.

Has he achieved all he should have with the squad we have? Of course not, but then neither has any England manager since Ramsey. In reality, a Euros final, World Cup semi final and Quarter final (with a loss to France hardly a major disappointment) and a 3rd place finish in the Nations League is about as good as we’ve had for many years.

Is he the best option out there? No. Is the national team in a better place than it has been at any point this century? Yes. Is he a ‘muppet’ who we should get rid of as soon as possible? Of course not

• Like 10
  • Robin 1

• Admin
3 hours ago, Never to the dark side said:

Listening to five live of villa v Man Utd,big screen switched an image of Gareth Southgate and the crowd booed.

Is this the same football followers that will be willing on the England team at the Euro's in the summer managed by southgate?

3 hours ago, BCFC1512 said:

He left them for Middlesbrough they’ve never got over it 

Villa fans have this theory their players are deliberately overlooked for England and blame Southgate for this 

4 hours ago, JBFC II said:

Has he achieved all he should have with the squad we have? Of course not, but then neither has any England manager since Ramsey. In reality, a Euros final, World Cup semi final and Quarter final (with a loss to France hardly a major disappointment) and a 3rd place finish in the Nations League is about as good as we’ve had for many years.

Is he the best option out there? No. Is the national team in a better place than it has been at any point this century? Yes. Is he a ‘muppet’ who we should get rid of as soon as possible? Of course not

Muppet is indeed harsh, but I think it's reasonable to speculate about what a less conservative manager could do with the talent Southgate's had available.

Can't argue with the way he and the team have represented themselves though.

3 minutes ago, Stortz said:

Muppet is indeed harsh, but I think it's reasonable to speculate about what a less conservative manager could do with the talent Southgate's had available.

Oh I agree, there are more accomplished managers out there who may well have done better with the squad available.

But then, Capello, Sven and Hodgson were all more accomplished and achieved way less.

He’s not perfect, but I’ve not felt so connected with the national side for many years, he’s done a lot of things right. Genuinely looking forward to the Euros, which hasn’t been the case for many major tournaments over the past 20 years, a lot of that is due to what he’s created

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Stortz said:

It might be a tad harsh but he will still do a muppety thing by picking Henderson and Phillips for the next England squad

• Like 2

11 hours ago, phantom said:

Villa fans have this theory their players are deliberately overlooked for England and blame Southgate for this 

Villa fielded the grand total of 2 English players yesterday including subs. So plenty of options for him to consider....

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, Mad Cyril said:

Villa fielded the grand total of 2 English players yesterday including subs. So plenty of options for him to consider....

Indeed - @Bristolisredd - that’s one more than just watching Henderson , so maybe he’s atoned for making such a huge mistake……..

It’s all about opinions and something tells me he’s more qualified than you @Bristolisredd -  to make those decisions for the team he will be selecting. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, JBFC II said:

I'd possibly change should to could

I'm not sure I'd say we had the best team at any of those three tournaments and I certainly don't think our 2018 or 2022 squads were better than the French teams of those tournaments. Losing to Croatia in 2018 was frustrating but I think any manager we had would have struggled against France in the final that year or in the Quarter Final in 2022. 2021 was the most frustrating in that we just didn't attack enough in the second half against Italy but, as you say, Southgate was the first manager since Ramsey to get us in a final in the first place.

Southgate is frustrating risk-averse in this approach - and I think this year'll be interesting as it'll be the first tournament he's been charge of where you could make a reasonable case that the two best players there will be England players and that we should be considered favourites. I'm not confident we will win it and, if not, I think that'd be the first time Southgate could reasonably be achieved of under-achieving at a tournament.  But - whilst there may well be better options out there - most, if not all, are all untested in international football. There's not a single manager I can think of that I'd confidently predict would get better results than Southgate has. 

• Like 3