IGNORED

"Always Believe"

Superjack

15 hours ago, italian dave said:

And as for the ‘I can’t read….’ one…..😖….calling ourselves bankers.

Beyond embarrassing.

Im with @Barrs Court Red in thinking always believe has been one of our better songs. 

100%.  I don't think anyone has ever actually come up with a reason - compelling or otherwise - for us singing that.  I guess that's maybe because those that don't see anything wrong with it are singing it autobiographically!

Nothing wrong with singing the original to reclaim it.  I do question the intelligence of some of our fanbase at times......

• Flames 1

17 minutes ago, ZumerZetSmithy said:

the first few times this was sung it brought the hairs up on the back of my neck ,  not sure i can hear it now in S19 not my hearing .

loved the song when we had Basso,  i think a similar song would be good. we certainly need some belief in our team.

We used to believe

We used to belieeeeeve

We're Bristol City

We used to believe! (c)

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, TDarwall said:

I loved his philosophy on luck. If a journo suggested we were unlucky, Basso would always strongly refute it & say you can't blame things on luck as it suggests your actions don't determine the outcome.

I've no time for organised religion but Basso had a fantastic attitude which was clearly steeped in his faith.  When he saved the penalty from Darius Henderson, heck, even i almost believed in a higher power! 

Totally.

It was also such a rare time in the life of a City fan.

Promoted behind Scunthorpe United from the third tier with a Brazilian goalkeeper who wasn’t even a regular at Woking prior to joining us yet we were only 90 minutes away from the Prem.

Every time anything goes wrong (even stuff we have absolutely no control over) you get “typical City” on here, that era was anything but..

Also, Marvin Elliott was as good a midfielder as we have had since the top flight that season & although it was obvious all year that we struggled to score goals (where have I heard that recently?) our determination, fitness & work rate got us loads of late goals & points.

Great times under GJ.

Edited by GrahamC
  • Like 2

• Admin
44 minutes ago, Steve Watts said:

100%.  I don't think anyone has ever actually come up with a reason - compelling or otherwise - for us singing that.  I guess that's maybe because those that don't see anything wrong with it are singing it autobiographically!

Nothing wrong with singing the original to reclaim it.  I do question the intelligence of some of our fanbase at times......

I would assume it's like how Leeds and Man Utd fans sing the songs that used to be sung to them, it kind of throws the insult back at them and shows we can laugh at ourselves

1 hour ago, phantom said:

I would assume it's like how Leeds and Man Utd fans sing the songs that used to be sung to them, it kind of throws the insult back at them and shows we can laugh at ourselves

Sheepshaggers, 1-0 to the sheepshaggers, as @Steve Watts has said above, even the original "I can't read": I get all of those for the reasons you say. The original 'I can't read' would be quite funny as a throw back - I'm from Somerset and what matters to me is being able to drive a tractor!

But "I'm a f ***g w ***" isn't really throwing anything back. It's like singing Bristol's a shithole  or F off City at yourself. Just immeasurably stupid!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Great times under GJ.

It was an extraordinary season & absolutely built on team work & determination over anything else. I'm convinced that had McCombe been fit & Orr not got crocked, we'd have beat Hull in the final.

• Like 1
  • Robin 1

10 hours ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

On that penalty save didn't Basso say after the game something like 'I asked God which way, he said right, I said thank you' or something like that or have I made it up?  I used to love the crowd copying the point to the skies behind him, great relationship between player and fans

I knew it apart from it was left not right!

"To be honest many people don't understand or don't believe," the Brazilian, who is a devout Christian, explained to BBC Radio Bristol.

"But I ask the Holy Spirit where they're going to kick.

"He said 'left' and I said 'thank you'. I went to the left side and I saved the ball, so today I was very blessed."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/b/bristol_city/7289241.stm#:~:text="To be honest many people,today I was very blessed."

Edited by Tinmans Love Child