IGNORED

"Always Believe"

Superjack

• Admin
18 minutes ago, Superjack said:

I hate it. 

Can we just get rid of it now?

Given the three ego's propensity for the self destruction of the chances of this club ever fulfilling it's potential under their watch, it grates with me massively.

Where are we getting rid of it from?

9 minutes ago, Superjack said:

To be fair, his 'belief' was religious. Not just a soundbite to subdue the masses.

I loved his philosophy on luck. If a journo suggested we were unlucky, Basso would always strongly refute it & say you can't blame things on luck as it suggests your actions don't determine the outcome.

I've no time for organised religion but Basso had a fantastic attitude which was clearly steeped in his faith.  When he saved the penalty from Darius Henderson, heck, even i almost believed in a higher power! 

• Like 7
  • Haha 2
  • Robin 1

You may not like the song or mantra, and nor do i, but at least it isn't totally embarrassing like most current attempts at describing other cities as toilets, comparing their ground with sheds and other such nonsense.

As Mozo said many on OTIB don't think very positively anyway so "Always Believe" hardly gets used.

COYRS!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cole Not Gas said:

You may not like the song or mantra, and nor do i, but at least it isn't totally embarrassing like most current attempts at describing other cities as toilets, comparing their ground with sheds and other such nonsense.

As Mozo said many on OTIB don't think very positively anyway so "Always Believe" hardly gets used.

COYRS!

its better than mull of kintyre

• Like 2

It's a crap song/chant but I'll admit I kind of like it. It's ours.

That 2008 season with it ringing out at Ashton Gate even when we were losing with 10 minutes left, Brooker randomly coming on as a sub, McCombe up for the 5 corners we'd have in a row in front of the East End, McAllister looping in shit crosses from barely 10 yards inside the opposition half, but somehow you really felt we'd get a draw if not a win even so... Good stuff.

• Like 9
  • Robin 1

1 hour ago, Cole Not Gas said:

COYRS!

And as for the ‘I can’t read….’ one…..😖….calling ourselves bankers.

Beyond embarrassing.

Im with @Barrs Court Red in thinking always believe has been one of our better songs. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

It's a crap song/chant but I'll admit I kind of like it. It's ours.

That 2008 season with it ringing out at Ashton Gate even when we were losing with 10 minutes left, Brooker randomly coming on as a sub, McCombe up for the 5 corners we'd have in a row in front of the East End, McAllister looping in shit crosses from barely 10 yards inside the opposition half, but somehow you really felt we'd get a draw if not a win even so... Good stuff.

yep, great season, one of the best, since the seventies

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Superjack said:

I hate it. 

Can we just get rid of it now?

Given the three ego's propensity for the self destruction of the chances of this club ever fulfilling it's potential under their watch, it grates with me massively.

What on earth prompted this at 2100 on a Sunday?!

We won mate, chill.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2
  • Flames 1
  • Facepalm 1

Not only is he incompetent in football matters he doesn't have our (football) interests at heart. He is a local 'lad' who became involved with city just over 20 years ago, so at nearly 50 years of age! Prior to that he courted the sags who turned him away. I'm sorry I'm not taken in by their overtures & propoganda. The evidence is there for all to see. He was a very rich, relatively unknown, man who wanted to get involved in A club to become someone. An ego trip or vanity project. Perhaps he wasnt picked on the playground 🤷‍♂️.  An accountant by trade & not a true fan with a real desire to make it happen. His finance has supported the club but he won't be a poor man come the end & he has treated us with contempt on several occasions, revealing his true colours. In fact he has said he feels sorry for us that we can't see what they are trying to do (following holdens appointment). 

I always believe that one day he will be gone & someone will invest in the football & treat us with the respect we deserve 🙏

• Like 2
  • Flames 1
  • Facepalm 3

I will defend on one level anyway.

In theory and this is only in theory, the redeveloped stadium, the Training Ground, the improved Academy, indeed the Commercial Revenue from AGL and last but not least subject to where the revenue goes and how it is distributed, a good chunk of Sporting Quarter if it ever gets finished should benefit the Club.

Should benefit the Club or provide a platform to do so in the medium and long term by boosting our revenue streams. If you boost revenue streams it along wirh a Productive Academy provides a platform to continue growth and building.

Now there are quite a few caveats but put simply the better your revenue, the better your platform moving into this new system. Making the most of it..that is totally different.

Ditto spending to the maximum losses or exempt areas- why for example have we shied away from making a serious play for Category One status?

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I will defend on one level anyway.

In theory and this is only in theory, the redeveloped stadium, the Training Ground, the improved Academy, indeed the Commercial Revenue from AGL and last but not least subject to where the revenue goes and how it is distributed, a good chunk of Sporting Quarter if it ever gets finished should benefit the Club.

Should benefit the Club or provide a platform to do so in the medium and long term by boosting our revenue streams. If you boost revenue streams it along wirh a Productive Academy provides a platform to continue growth and building.

Now there are quite a few caveats but put simply the better your revenue, the better your platform moving into this new system. Making the most of it..that is totally different.

Ditto spending to the maximum losses or exempt areas- why for example have we shied away from making a serious play for Category One status?

Agree with all of that.

One more thing, why have we never looked at the short term future and hung on to our best, young talent and pushed the boat out (as far as we can) and really gone for it.

Im nearly 50 years of age, my health is poor and Im beginning to wonder if I will ever see my club play in the top division. 

"Always believe", nah not with SL in charge.

• Like 2
  • Flames 2

11 hours ago, TDarwall said:

I loved his philosophy on luck. If a journo suggested we were unlucky, Basso would always strongly refute it & say you can't blame things on luck as it suggests your actions don't determine the outcome.

I've no time for organised religion but Basso had a fantastic attitude which was clearly steeped in his faith.  When he saved the penalty from Darius Henderson, heck, even i almost believed in a higher power! 

On that penalty save didn't Basso say after the game something like 'I asked God which way, he said right, I said thank you' or something like that or have I made it up?  I used to love the crowd copying the point to the skies behind him, great relationship between player and fans

• Like 1
  • Robin 1

12 hours ago, MattWSM said:

Can we bring back "oh basso"

YES!!

"Always believe, we always belieeeve,

Remember Basso, we always believe"

followed by

"oh Basso, oh Bassoooo"

except vs Huddersfield, where he is goalie coach. 

best goalie, best saves, best motivational talks.

Jesus saves, but Basso tipped them over the bar

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

On that penalty save didn't Basso say after the game something like 'I asked God which way, he said right, I said thank you' or something like that or have I made it up?  I used to love the crowd copying the point to the skies behind him, great relationship between player and fans

I don’t remember the one from Henderson, but clearly recall the crucial one from Ben Watson (tipped onto the post). 

The crowd was interesting too 18,842 - we’ve come a long way since them (in some aspects)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, YorkshireSection said:

Agree with all of that.

One more thing, why have we never looked at the short term future and hung on to our best, young talent and pushed the boat out (as far as we can) and really gone for it.

Im nearly 50 years of age, my health is poor and Im beginning to wonder if I will ever see my club play in the top division. 

"Always believe", nah not with SL in charge.

Some years FFP considerations were closing in, other times we were all-in on the Trading Strategy.

January 2018 we kept all together and hoped. Bryan and Reid entering the final year of their deal in summer 2018 didn't help.

Otoh 2019, one or both of Webster and Kelly could we have kept at least one for another year.

Brownhill going in January didn't help but he had a buyout clause that reduced a bit come the summer. Dilemmas.

Why didn't we pre FFP make a bigger go in January 2008?

Definitely sticking and twisting at the wrong time over the years.

The next dilemma I fear is Conway in the summer. Contract expires summer 2025, no new one signed yet.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

• Admin
12 hours ago, Superjack said:

Oh... we won a game. 

Let's just forget the bigger picture then... 🤦

Oh yeah, 6 points off the playoffs

Only jesting - don't want to go all Robbo esque and divert a thread

1 hour ago, Riaz said:

Loved that era. Best time supporting city.

Always believe is a bit of a joke - but at the time we had a team, who didnt know when they were beaten.

There was a real connection and feel good factor around that time

• Like 2