IGNORED

Once again we ask..

Unan

24 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

I think those that are not paying a subscription to the forum should have any input to things affecting the forum. They should simply be ignored.

Pay up or shut up.

But equally those paying should have an input IMO.

• Like 4

The only thing that bothered me about it moving is that it was suggested by handful without a vote then got moved, yet when it was requested to moved back, loads of people voted for that yet the mods just decided to leave it be.

Hardly democratic. If enough voted for it to stay, not a problem but they didn't and we still have the sub forum.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, phantom said:

That is simply not true, as agreed and referenced already in this thread, posts are only moved for reference purposes to make them easier to find 48 HOURS after the last post - this usually means they are on the second page

How is that an issue?

There was debate, see the link above.

An agreement was reached at the time

Between whom?

7 hours ago, phantom said:

Threads were not moved or hidden away, as previously agreed threads are only moved once they have had no reply on for a period of time

that a load of content has been moved there, with next to no engagement since moving..”

11 hours ago, phantom said:

That is simply not true, as agreed and referenced already in this thread, posts are only moved for reference purposes to make them easier to find 48 HOURS after the last post - this usually means they are on the second page

How is that an issue?

There was debate, see the link above.

An agreement was reached at the time

I think 48 hours after the last post is OK. 

I rarely check the second page so if something is on the second page then it's yesterdays news really. 

1 hour ago, The Journalist said:

None of it really matters though, does it? Not really?

(Thanks to @phantom and the admin team, though. I used to do it and it’s a somewhat thankless task.)

Get the point but it’s all relative isn’t it? To me ex players and managers matter a lot more than some of the random items that remain on the main page.  Seems plenty agree as well. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, lenred said:

Get the point but it’s all relative isn’t it? To me ex players and managers matter a lot more than some of the random items that remain on the main page.  Seems plenty agree as well. 

Oh I get that - it’s more some of the abrupt comments, bordering on rude and slightly entitled in a couple of instances, towards people giving up their free time to maintain an internet forum. It’s a bit much, innit?

It’s probably just not how I’d talk to people, but each to their own.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, lenred said:

Yep, rather see a thread on Gillies v Leeds stay on main page, whilst a thread on Klopp or an England fixture can move off after 24/48 hrs.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yep, rather see a thread on Gillies v Leeds stay on main page, whilst a thread on Klopp or an England fixture can move off after 24/48 hrs.

I’d rather have easy access to both and allow people to pick and choose but if it has to be one or the other then this is a City forum and it makes sense to have City items on the main page.  I just don’t get the need for a change in the first place.   

• Like 3

3 hours ago, The Journalist said:

None of it really matters though, does it? Not really?

(Thanks to @phantom and the admin team, though. I used to do it and it’s a somewhat thankless task.)

I'm pretty sure just about everyone on here appreciates the Mods and what they do, and most will have said so at some stage.

This may not matter to you but it does to many others and this seems a funny thing to put your foot down about when it's clear so many OTIB supporters would much prefer things to go back to the way they were.

Edited by Nogbad the Bad
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I'm pretty sure just about everyone on here appreciates the Mods and what they do, and most will have said so at some stage.

This may not matter to you but it does to many others and this seems a funny thing to put your foot down about when it's clear so many OTIB supporters would much prefer things to go back to the way they were.

200.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think as much as possible football chat shouldn't be placed into sections. Years ago I was also on the Mangotsfield United forum when they were doing well in the Southern League. Initially, all chat was included on there and it thrived helped as well by visiting views and opinions from supporters of other clubs such as Gloucester City, Clevedon and Yate Town. 

However, sub forums started springing up. Non sports, then other sports other than football etc etc. We know how a thread can meander before returning to the original subject well Jenson Button's name cropped up somehow in a thread about Mangotsfield United. I responded to it and a healthy debate ensued regarding whether it was the car he was driving that had won him the title or his skill or a combination of both. I was reprimanded as I was told it should be in the other sports sub forum. Another occasion The Netherlands were mentioned as having played well in the opening game of the 2004 Euros...the poster was reprimanded for not putting it into the non Mangotsfield United football forum and it was about to be until the original poster added to the thread saying that he hoped Mangotsfield United will be playing such skilled football as the Netherlands under their new manager next season!

Gradually what had been a lively forum became stale as it was like one had to be in the right place to say something whereas before one could just chat with like minded supporters. After all, at grounds when we chat there's nobody looking over our shoulders telling us to move to another part of the ground designated for Non Bristol City Chat on Cinema Releases. The Mangotsfield United forum eventually died.

Having said that, the Bristol City fanbase is huge by comparison so of course sub fora are required. I am 100% in favour of that, it makes sense. However, I think as much as possible the topic of football itself shouldn't be divided into different sub fora. I can understand the need for Transfer Talk to have it's own forum but it should stop there.

Otherwise, as has happened with the ex players forum, other fora will follow: Bristol City Obituaries, Bristol City Away Match Supporters News, Bristol City Finances Forum, Bristol City In The Arts Forum etc, etc. It will dilute what has been a lively forum and instead of being a delight to peruse will become a chore. Plus if one composed a post about a City supporting mate who had just passed away, owning a couple of grands worth of shares in the club so who will now buy them? And he was well known for the poems he wrote about his favourite club, particularly the brilliant one about the ex City player now with Dundee United, plus due to departing this life there are now two tickets available for the visit to Sunderland on Saturday. One would be at a complete loss as to which forum it should be posted on!!!

I have every sympathy for the mods they are doing a great job hence why I suggest to keep the sub fora down to a minimum on the topic of football as it will actually make their lives easier. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, phantom said:

Have a read from the start and you will see a link with all the information you require 

To my knowledge, correct me if I'm wrong.

- Some posters DM'ed Admins asking for ex players to become it's own forum.

- Admins decided to do this

- If people want it to change back, there's no route to do so. It's been decided and that's that. No polls or feedback matter, the decision is made based on unknown amount of requests, by known posters.

Correct?

• Admin
1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I am not sure how many times I have to say this and reading many of the posts there are many that can't seem to grasp that this is not my decision it was made by all the admin

I am just the one that is able to post the most and is answering the questions

• Like 1

• Admin
35 minutes ago, Selred said:

To my knowledge, correct me if I'm wrong.

- Some posters DM'ed Admins asking for ex players to become it's own forum.

- Admins decided to do this

- If people want it to change back, there's no route to do so. It's been decided and that's that. No polls or feedback matter, the decision is made based on unknown amount of requests, by known posters.

Correct?

Nothing personal, but this has become so boring now

We have gone around and around in circles - it was previously discussed as the link on page 1 shows, and an agreement was made

As above, all the admin are in agreement that it will stay as it is

By all means feel free to continue to comment, but there is no more for me to say

1 minute ago, phantom said:

Nothing personal, but this has become so boring now

We have gone around and around in circles - it was previously discussed as the link on page 1 shows, and an agreement was made

By all means feel free to continue to comment, but there is no more for me to say

I can't speak for the majority but im sure it's the same for them, i've no problem seperating your posts as member and those when you have your Mod/Admin hat on. No reason for things to be aimed at you personally as you've your just the active member of the team making things happen. There is no issue there.

I think it's just a little disrespectful to the majority of members that don't want the sub forum that a decsion was made by the team and that's that, no more discussion.

It was moved on a whim for a trial, majority don't want it, have clearly voted for it to be put back as it was but now that's the end of it and we are shut down, no more discussion.

Pretty poor for what is a well run, very active and much loved forum.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, phantom said:

But why? For what purpose? You’re making work for yourselves? Last time I asked I got told ‘thats just the way it is’. This isn’t just a public forum - people pay to use it - and so just a ‘tough tits’ attitude to it really doesn’t sit well. I’d love to know why it was done please? 

Edited by lenred
  • Like 3

I can see why it was done, it was getting to the stage that there were more threads on previous managers/players in the past than looking at the current/future situation, it had been done to death and was getting boring. The content is still available to those that are interested so a good decision.

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

9 minutes ago, phantom said:

I am not sure how many times I have to say this and reading many of the posts there are many that can't seem to grasp that this is not my decision it was made by all the admin

I am just the one that is able to post the most and is answering the questions

Not sure why you're quoting me Phants, my post doesn't mention you and was in reply to The Journalist (who btw is not an OTIB supporter) who said it didn't matter.

I was expressing my surprise that those who make the decisions have collectively put their foot down on this issue, not you personally.

As a long time OTIB supporter I'm surprised the admin team would initially respond so quickly to the moans of a tiny minority then go on to go against the expressed wishes of the majority to reverse that decision, for no apparent reason.

The Mods can do as they please of course, and 99% of the time we're grateful for everything you & they do, but taking such an obdurate position on this issue is actually a bit bewildering.

No need to reply btw.

• Like 7

On 12/02/2024 at 10:47, Unan said:

For the ex players sub forum to be removed, I just noticed for the first time in weeks that a load of content has been moved there, with next to no engagement since moving..

Commitment bias, also known as the escalation of commitment, describes our tendency to remain committed to our past behaviors, particularly those exhibited publicly, even if they do not have desirable outcomes.

Wow I completely forgot it existed for a bit until reading this post. 

I’ve just had a look through and so many threads with little to no engagement. Quite a few in the low hundreds in terms of views.

Its been a really bad move & should change back imo.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

I’ve just had a look through and so many threads with little to no engagement. Quite a few in the low hundreds in terms of views.

Exactly.

Many will agree but will now sadly fall on deaf ears.

1 hour ago, Carey 6 said:

So maybe there's just not any interest in the topics, so best moved away. 

If people are that lazy that they can't click on the page it shows there's no interest in the conversation and just backs up the decision 

Just on the point of “agreement” to the current approach (because it looks as if it was me who agreed it 😂).

My preference was, and remains, re-merging the forum. I think the fact this thread has come up again demonstrates the depth of feeling and @Red-Robbois right that it won’t go away until that happens.

When the decision was made by the mods not to re-merge the forum I didn’t agree with it but acquiesced- they do far more work than I do on this place, and if this change makes it easier for them then I can accept that. I suggested a delay of x hours before threads were moved as previously we had a “LJ” scenario where loads of threads were started and moved in quick succession. The mods have stuck to this, and absent a remerge, it’s the best but a non ideal solution.

I don’t think any stock can be necessarily put in saying only x% of people engaged with the poll - as we know, most users don’t engage fullstop!

My preferred option would remain a vote of OTIB supporters to determine the “final” decision here. Absent that, then I think the position is that the mods consider this is the way they can best manage the forum, then it is what it is but expect a similar thread to come up on a regular basis. My instinct is the current setup is more work, but I’m prepared to be wrong!

• Like 1