IGNORED

Change in style

RobImps

What a brilliant result and performance tonight 👏

Biggest takeaway for me - the change in style over last few weeks.

I'd say West Ham away was the noticeable difference, we were playing a quality side who simply wouldn't let us play the boring keep ball we have been under Manning, so we reverted to counter attacking football to a degree, and had some success.

Over the last few weeks, I've seen us move back to a counter attacking side - these players were signed for this style under Nige - and we look a million miles better for it, we look far more dangerous and it's definitely more entertaining to watch.

Tonight, those midfielders were tackling hard and snapping into every lose pass before we absolutely went forward at pace... Last seen at Swansea away before the injuries!

This, for me is the style I want to see and what these players are best at.

Always a side that has that late surge into playoffs 👀👀

• Like 13

2 minutes ago, RobImps said:

What a brilliant result and performance tonight 👏

Biggest takeaway for me - the change in style over last few weeks.

I'd say West Ham away was the noticeable difference, we were playing a quality side who simply wouldn't let us play the boring keep ball we have been under Manning, so we reverted to counter attacking football to a degree, and had some success.

Over the last few weeks, I've seen us move back to a counter attacking side - these players were signed for this style under Nige - and we look a million miles better for it, we look far more dangerous and it's definitely more entertaining to watch.

Tonight, those midfielders were tackling hard and snapping into every lose pass before we absolutely went forward at pace... Last seen at Swansea away before the injuries!

This, for me is the style I want to see and what these players are best at.

Always a side that has that late surge into playoffs 👀👀

I've said the same in another thread though you have put it better. If Liam is showing flexibility and a willingness to adjust his approach that's to his credit.

Better that than someone who has a fixed way of playing and tries to shoehorn players into it whether or not it suits them.

• Like 5

This is just too simplistic a way of looking at it. There are two teams which influence the game.

If we play against a team (QPR possibly on Saturday) who sit back, men behind the ball and let us have it, we simply can’t play like we did tonight, even if we wanted to.

We have to be better in those games when possession is more equal, or in our favour. 

• Like 10

I didn't feel it was a completely counter attacking style, it was always going to look a bit like that because Saints are obviously coached to retain the ball, but our defensive shape was so good a lot of their 68% possession was going backwards to their keeper. 

The way Vyner and Dickie are able to play out of defence because of the options they have is the biggest change. Instead of just clearing the ball they can run forward or make little short passes into midfield that change the angle of attack beautifully.

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Oh and a back 4 please mostly.

I don't think it's very important, the back 3 has it's advantages in periods as well, people asking what the identity of Manning Ball is, I would say flexibility and adaptability.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Port Said Red said:

I didn't feel it was a completely counter attacking style, it was always going to look a bit like that because Saints are obviously coached to retain the ball, but our defensive shape was so good a lot of their 68% possession was going backwards to their keeper. 

The way Vyner and Dickie are able to play out of defence because of the options they have is the biggest change. Instead of just clearing the ball they can run forward or make little short passes into midfield that change the angle of attack beautifully.

I don't think it's very important, the back 3 has it's advantages in periods as well, people asking what the identity of Manning Ball is, I would say flexibility and adaptability.

Before Roberts came off in the second half we actually converted to a back 3 with Tanner pushed forward on the right. Subs tonight were bang on as well. McCrorie particularly gave their annoying cheating left back a dose of his own medicine, out muscling, out jumping and generally out playing him. Definitely takes no prisoners and a shame he was out for so long.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Kibs said:

This is just too simplistic a way of looking at it. There are two teams which influence the game.

If we play against a team (QPR possibly on Saturday) who sit back, men behind the ball and let us have it, we simply can’t play like we did tonight, even if we wanted to.

We have to be better in those games when possession is more equal, or in our favour. 

True.

But, the arguement against your point is we haven't had any success or entertainment value playing a possession based game under Manning..

I don't believe we have the players to do that.

When a team sits back is generally when the stadium falls asleep and social media erupts ... Because it's boring to watch and the result will be poor.

Can Manning sign players so we can play both styles and have an answer for all circumstances? Time will tell

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

32 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Respectfully disagree albeit yes in phases it can work.

Totally agree on first bit, our shape out of possession, our pressing even needed, turnovers we gained at times..brilliant.

33 minutes ago, RobImps said:

True.

But, the arguement against your point is we haven't had any success or entertainment value playing a possession based game under Manning..

I don't believe we have the players to do that.

When a team sits back is generally when the stadium falls asleep and social media erupts ... Because it's boring to watch and the result will be poor.

Can Manning sign players so we can play both styles and have an answer for all circumstances? Time will tell

Twine, Sykes and the new winger will give us better options to break down teams who sit deeper.

QPR is a good test for the team and Manning after 2 good wins. 

Can they have 60% possession and still win? 

• Like 1

I think that last night we saw the best of Manning ball and the best of Nige ball all in one performance.  Manning’s passing and movement added to Nige’s counterattacking and as if by magic we looked like we could beat anyone last night . Well done Liam for bringing the two styles together so superbly last night ! 

• Like 5

Certainly Manning has delivered what fans (on OTIB) have veen calling for. 

He was criticised for too much keepball, and we haven't seen that recently.

He was criticised for the back 3, and we now start games with a back 4 (he'd played a back 4 early in his tenure too mind)

He was criticised for the lack of chances created and goals scored and we have scored 7 in the last 4 league games.

He was criticised for PPG and form table position and now we have two wins to add to the tally. 

I guess the one thing we haven't done is started creating more chances for Conway, but I think that's the final ball issue to some extent. 

• Like 2

We’re definitely a counter-attacking team, at present, which is why we’ve generally played so well against the bigger teams.

QPR is likely to be a different test and we’ll probably have more of the ball. If we can also play well with a possession based game then we’ll have a fantastic team and shot at promotion. 

8 minutes ago, David Brent said:

We’re definitely a counter-attacking team, at present, which is why we’ve generally played so well against the bigger teams.

QPR is likely to be a different test and we’ll probably have more of the ball. If we can also play well with a possession based game then we’ll have a fantastic team and shot at promotion. 

Breaking teams down at Ashton Gate feels like a problem that we've had throughout most of my decades of supporting City!

Edited by mozo
  • Like 1

I don't think we changed our style but couldn't get so much possession as Southampton play the same way, we are good at counter-attacking as we have pace in the side. It will be interesting to see the game plan against QPR who although in the bottom three are undefeated in their last four games and above us in the form table.

1 hour ago, mozo said:

He was criticised for the back 3, and we now start games with a back 4 (he'd played a back 4 early in his tenure too mind)

He was criticised for the lack of chances created and goals scored and we have scored 7 in the last 4 league games.

He was criticised for PPG and form table position and now we have two wins to add to the tally. 

I guess the one thing we haven't done is started creating more chances for Conway, but I think that's the final ball issue to some extent. 

That was front-foot football.  In part down to both team’s game plans.

Huge praise for LM and the team yesterday 💥💥💥

When is Russell Martin gonna learn!  I guess when you’ve got one of the best 3 squads in the champ, you don’t need to.  But he was schooled last night, second half especially.  First half was even, but very entertaining.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mozo said:

So what you are saying is that Manning has no backbone and gives in to the critics? 

5 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

So what you are saying is that Manning has no backbone and gives in to the critics? 

Yep. He sits in a darkened room reading OTIB, sobbing that everyone keeps being mean to him. He's pathetic, but at least we get credit for the last results! 

By the way, you asked how long we had to wait for results to follow the performances... 😉:city:

I don't agree that we are now a counter attacking team again , but we are a team good on the Counter.
We will play keep ball in certain games, if a team sits then you adapt, try and pull them about and make space and chances. The last few teams we have played have been better in possession than us and so the game shapes up differently . Southampton are a good possession based side, but ended up playing a lot across their back line, that was because our block and press was so good they couldn't just play through us at will.  Manning seems to be building an all round team , can keep the ball and move it but when we break we carry a threat . Being able to adapt to different games is a great ability to have .
I think our possession, and ability with the ball , will improve . One game a week for a couple of weeks , then an International break towards the end of March will see the first time for a while they can get proper time on the training ground. 
Pearson said it and Manning has carried it on, we are moving to a more possession based side, that doesn't mean we have to pass a team to death. The best thing about last night, the passing and movement , the intent with the ball was great , but wanting possession or not we can play more than one way. 
Saturday will give a different challenge, QPR want to play football but they may allow us more possession and that is where we have struggled if they use a "low block" .  They have picked up lately , above us in the form table , it will be interesting Saturday. 

• Like 2
  • Flames 1