IGNORED

Next 3 games

myol'man

I don't even think QPR or Sheffield Wednesday will be all that defensive.

Draws aren't much good to either, especially Sheffield Wednesday. They have improved significantly under Rohl and will be at home. A big issue was 2 points from the first 10 under Munoz, which became 3 from 11 under the caretaker back in the Autumn.

QPR under Cifuentes seem tricky at times even if struggling. Can be quite enterprising under him.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

🤞🏻. This isn’t aimed at you . Some of our fans though will think , just because we beat boro & soton we’ll automatically beat QPR & sheff we’d. Then go into meltdown if we don’t . 

Yep, that sounds about right!

Have to say I felt the same after beating Sunderland, Hull, Watford, thinking the next three of Millwall, Birmingham, Preston could be an opportunity to push on. Rarely works out that way.

We are becoming a cracking counter attacking side. Let’s hope we also have worked out how to unpick sides that sit back and try and pick us off.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, steviestevieneville said:

🤞🏻. This isn’t aimed at you . Some of our fans though will think , just because we beat boro & soton we’ll automatically beat QPR & sheff we’d. Then go into meltdown if we don’t . 

I feel like you’ve accurately predicted the future. All it will take is a draw on Saturday and the feel good factor around this place will disappear and we’ll see the usual suspects out in force. The mood is so volatile these days. 

I said 4 points from the next 2 post Middlesbrough could make it interesting and provide a base. However that was very much on the proviso that a point last night would be highly impressive and was realistically the Upper End of our expectations.

After that? Well I'm unsure anymore. Hopefully we can now string a run of wins together and see where it takes us.

3 hours ago, Supersonic Robin said:

Weirdly, I'm not THAT shocked by our last couple of results. We know that we play better when we have less of the ball, against teams who want to "take the game to us".

That's very much been the trend since Manning has come in. Unfortunately, we've also been useless against bottom half* sides in that time. Under Manning, our record against teams in the bottom half is: P7 W0 D3 L4

I see the next 3 games as a much better assessment of whether we might actually be able to kick on.

*at the time we played them

Perhaps the introduction of Twine & Dire are the definitive difference this time as they are the type of players who can unlock defences 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I said 4 points from the next 2 post Middlesbrough could make it interesting and provide a base. However that was very much on the proviso that a point last night would be highly impressive and was realistically the Upper End of our expectations.

After that? Well I'm unsure anymore. Hopefully we can now string a run of wins together and see where it takes us.

I think it's fair to bank those 3 points and reset the 4pts from the next 2 games target. 

Both are winnable, but winning both will be a big challenge. So, a draw and a win will see us end February on a really positive note.

Edited by mozo
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, mozo said:

I think it's fair to bank those 3 points and reset the 4pts from the next 2 games target. 

Both are winnable, but winning both will be a big challenge. So, a draw and a win will see us end February on a really positive note.

Worth noting too, sorry to say we have a 0 Points recent Home record vs QPR.

2020-21..Okay Covid and squad had really hit the end, behind closed doors 0-2.

2021-22...Last minute winner for QPR. We played well though, we were unfortunate to lose that. Seem to recall a clear penalty on Scott at 1-0

QPR were undoubtedly at a higher ebb then and we were still rebuilding and about halfway through the austerity era. King 2nd yellow, think was fairly needless from his POV and we showed a lot of spirit.

2022-23...20 or 25 to 45 mins especially we seemed to be battered and from our POV went to sleep a bit. We lost 2-1 again and played well enough 2nd half but damage was done- again QPR were in a buoyant phase under Beale, we were improving but still hamstrung financially.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

34 minutes ago, mozo said:

I really can’t get past the “one game at a time” mantra.  As you say, you kinda need to reset after each result.

I guess the classic is “need to get 4 points from the next two games”, then you lose the first, or “couple of draws away will be great”, then you win.

But it’s no fun being the way I am! 🤣

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I don't even think QPR or Sheffield Wednesday will be all that defensive.

Draws aren't much good to either, especially Sheffield Wednesday. They have improved significantly under Rohl and will be at home. A big issue was 2 points from the first 10 under Munoz, which became 3 from 11 under the caretaker back in the Autumn.

QPR under Cifuentes seem tricky at times even if struggling. Can be quite enterprising under him.

QPR haven't been that bad since November. A bit patchy but more of a form of a lower midtable side and can be dangerous. I think they'll stay up. Big game tonight vs Stoke who are in absolute freefall right now.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Wanderingred said:

Massive opportunity missed for QPR last night to claw themselves out of the bottom 3. That could be a very damaging result indeed for them, and hopefully it will affect their morale and confidence.

QPR win nailed on then.

19 hours ago, cityexile said:

Have to say I felt the same after beating Sunderland, Hull, Watford, thinking the next three of Millwall, Birmingham, Preston could be an opportunity to push on. Rarely works out that way.

We are becoming a cracking counter attacking side. Let’s hope we also have worked out how to unpick sides that sit back and try and pick us off.

Exactly this, would be no real surprise if we flopped in the next 3 games against "lesser" sides, just like we did after winning 3 on the trot as referenced above.

Hopefully lessons will have be learned from that experience, let's hope so!

I hadn't even made it to the end of our row V Boro when I said to a guy that sits near us, You just know we will lose Saturday. It's where I am as a supporter ...

Always look on the bright side , but with a glass that's half empty :yes:

My QPR mate said it wasn't worth them turning up Saturday, but when another City mate made a joke , he reminded me they had won their last 3 games at the Gate.

They are no mugs now , Saturday first defeat in 5 and Cifuentes seems to have them playing a lot more football than previously. 
I never take anything for granted . If someone from outside looked at it  , they would probably see it as at least a chance of 9 points . As someone who has watched us a lot , I know it's not that straight forward , and it is the Championship .

4 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I hadn't even made it to the end of our row V Boro when I said to a guy that sits near us, You just know we will lose Saturday. It's where I am as a supporter ...

Always look on the bright side , but with a glass that's half empty :yes:

My QPR mate said it wasn't worth them turning up Saturday, but when another City mate made a joke , he reminded me they had won their last 3 games at the Gate.

They are no mugs now , Saturday first defeat in 5 and Cifuentes seems to have them playing a lot more football than previously. 
I never take anything for granted . If someone from outside looked at it  , they would probably see it as at least a chance of 9 points . As someone who has watched us a lot , I know it's not that straight forward , and it is the Championship .

Yeah if football went by the script I'd have actually won some accas over the years 😩

Edited by mozo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, myol'man said:

QPR h

Sheffield Wednesday a

Cardiff h

Finally this could be our chance of putting a run together following back to back wins. If, and I know it's a big if but possible, we could win all 3, City could be in the top 6 before we play Ipswich away. Fingers crossed and enjoy the ride.

COYR

Dont forget we never had much possession in our last 2 games. We will have the majority of possession on Saturday and we do tend to struggle at times. QPR will play us at our own game so let's see how we deal with it.

4 minutes ago, mozo said:

Yeah if football went by the script I'd have actually won some accas over the years 😩

Yes a bit annoying when your wife picks out teams based on whether she likes their names and does better than you. :facepalm:

Regarding the upcoming games, I think it depends whether we can maintain that cutting edge from Tuesday night or if that was a one off. The interesting thing was that although Southampton played a more open game, only the last goal could really be classed as a counter attacking style goal.

I think certain players have grown in confidence (Mehmeti, Bell, etc) due to the games against West Ham and Forest, and our options are improving all the time with Sykes back, and Mebude. It looks exciting on paper.

My little benchmark for LM (at end of window) was to keep us at the same pace we were at the point he took over.  We were 11th and 4 points off of the POs.  Any better, would be great.  Any lower, I’d measure on whether it was because we were trying to ingrain the style he wanted, and cut some slack accordingly.

At the end of the window (after Coventry), my first judgment period - we were:

(P14 W4 D5 L5 PTS17)

P29 W10 D8 L11 PTS38 POS13 6 points off of POs

Without going into the depths of analysis, there or thereabouts.

Three games later we are:

(P17 W6 D5 L6 PTS23)

P32 W12 D8 L12 POS11 4 points of off POs

So we’ve got back to exactly where we were. BUT….

….with a mood of looking upwards after the last 2 matches, AND…

….for those of you that look further than one game ahead, a set of fixtures that give chance of continuing what appears to be an up-trend.

It’s a good position to be in.

It’s where I wanted us to be at this point regardless of who was in charge.

It feels quite exciting doesn’t it?

• Like 1
  • Robin 1

23 hours ago, cityexile said:

Get the feeling that’s what qpr will do to us 

46 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

My little benchmark for LM (at end of window) was to keep us at the same pace we were at the point he took over.  We were 11th and 4 points off of the POs.  Any better, would be great.  Any lower, I’d measure on whether it was because we were trying to ingrain the style he wanted, and cut some slack accordingly.

At the end of the window (after Coventry), my first judgment period - we were:

(P14 W4 D5 L5 PTS17)

P29 W10 D8 L11 PTS38 POS13 6 points off of POs

Without going into the depths of analysis, there or thereabouts.

Three games later we are:

(P17 W6 D5 L6 PTS23)

P32 W12 D8 L12 POS11 4 points of off POs

So we’ve got back to exactly where we were. BUT….

….with a mood of looking upwards after the last 2 matches, AND…

….for those of you that look further than one game ahead, a set of fixtures that give chance of continuing what appears to be an up-trend.

It’s a good position to be in.

It’s where I wanted us to be at this point regardless of who was in charge.

It feels quite exciting doesn’t it?

Also a stronger squad ( with the exception of Atkinson & benerous ) I think the squad is pretty much fit and healthy 🤞

also seems to be a belief within themselves 

4 hours ago, Mark barton said:

Dont forget we never had much possession in our last 2 games. We will have the majority of possession on Saturday and we do tend to struggle at times. QPR will play us at our own game so let's see how we deal with it.

QPR had 59% possession last night at Stoke, losing 0-1.

But there's no context to that, much of it may have been passing around the back for instance and they only had one shot on target (10 off) with an xG of .37 (for those that like xG).  In the context that Stoke had lost the previous 4 shipping 13 goals and scoring just 3, it was a disappointing game for QPR.

They've played 7 games this calendar year with 5 of them at home, winning their only other away game 2-1 at Blackburn. They've drawn away at Ipswich (0-0), and won at PNE (2-0), and also won at Middlesbrough (2-0) so they can pull off some excellent away results. But they are the exception rather than the rule, they've only scored 12 goals away and conceded 20.

Not an easy game as they are capable of springing a surprise as illustrated above, but we are rightly odds on favourites with most bookies and with the momentum we've built I'm expecting a win by two goals.

• Like 2

On 15/02/2024 at 14:21, bcfc01 said:

QPR had 59% possession last night at Stoke, losing 0-1.

But there's no context to that, much of it may have been passing around the back for instance and they only had one shot on target (10 off) with an xG of .37 (for those that like xG).  In the context that Stoke had lost the previous 4 shipping 13 goals and scoring just 3, it was a disappointing game for QPR.

They've played 7 games this calendar year with 5 of them at home, winning their only other away game 2-1 at Blackburn. They've drawn away at Ipswich (0-0), and won at PNE (2-0), and also won at Middlesbrough (2-0) so they can pull off some excellent away results. But they are the exception rather than the rule, they've only scored 12 goals away and conceded 20.

Not an easy game as they are capable of springing a surprise as illustrated above, but we are rightly odds on favourites with most bookies and with the momentum we've built I'm expecting a win by two goals.

That was so bristol city been seeing results like that for 50 years. Very frustrating but at least the play off merchants might just settle for mid table this season.  I went to millwall on Wednesday and they are pulling their hair out.

The three or four games from now are just as interesting. Sheffield Wednesday, whilst in the bottom three, have had a few decent performances lately including an away win at Millwall yesterday; they won’t be an easy challenge. 

Then of course we’ve Cardiff and Swansea back to back at home, with Ipswich in the middle. Lose those home games and it will be pretty toxic. 

Of course win all of them and this place will be a Manning love in!

Edited by One Team

On 14/02/2024 at 12:43, steviestevieneville said:

It is the way of the defeat yesterday which concerns many of us - bereft of ideas, bereft of skill, bereft of fight.