IGNORED

So, at this moment, where do you actually WANT us to finish this season?

Leveller

12 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Strange post. 

I didn't see us beating Boro and Southampton after us going 6 games without a win so yes I did think the season was all but over. 

…and so what if you have flip-flopped.

It happens all the time on OTIB.

I find it weird when people “go early” and then refuse to change based on evidence presented, for fear of their pride taking a hit.

At the end of the day, without the various types of opinion we have, this forum would be a shadow of what it is.

• Like 3

On 15/02/2024 at 15:15, ExiledAjax said:

I want us to win every game, finish on 86 points, and crush the play-offs. I want a massive cider-fest at Wembley in May and an open-top bus all the way back down the M4. I want the £100m and more that we would get next season. I really wouldn't care if we got tonked in the PL for a season but came back down hardened and financed and ready to go. Progressing from an L1/Champ yoyo club to a Champ/PL yoyo club in ten years would be huge.

It's incredibly unlikely to happen, judgement shouldn't be passed if we fail to do this, and that is why I post to try and calm the fervour, but that is what I want.

But if you take the £100 million we would get next season then what are the club going to spend 😉

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Strange post. 

I didn't see us beating Boro and Southampton after us going 6 games without a win so yes I did think the season was all but over. 

Those two wins have changed the dynamic and have put us back into contention which I'm delighted with. 

I'm not sure what you want me to do here? Do you want me to criticise us winning 2 in a row? It's almost like you don't want me to post positive things. 

The last two wins have put us on course for my pre season expectations. Now we just need to keep competing. None of that back 3 possession bs. 

I'm still very critical of how the club has been run. The two runs of 4 and 6 games without a win may well cost us come the end of the season. 

If there is something to criticise I'll criticise it, if there is something to praise, ill praise it. It's a simple concept MMR. 

If there is something to criticise I'll criticise it, if there is something to praise, I'll praise it but so far you and your posts only tick the criticise column.

• Hmmm 1

20 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

If there is something to criticise I'll criticise it, if there is something to praise, I'll praise it but so far you and your posts only tick the criticise column.

Which is completely untrue. 

I posted plenty of positive comments about the performances against West Ham and Forest and Boro and then I called the victory vs Soton as the complete performance. 

Also given Manning praise for adapting in his interviews and for adapting his overload of information and his style and for going back to a back 4. 

That doesn't suit your narrative tho. 

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

I really, never expected a genuine play-off challenge this season, but we seem to be hitting some form at the right time, with incoming reinforcements becoming available with 14 games to go.

It would be a brilliant effort to sneek a play-off spot, but unlikely. Although, it's not impossible.

Let's stay under the radar and work our way up, into a side that we want to be next season.

So, win the next game and then let's see what happens.

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

…and so what if you have flip-flopped.

It happens all the time on OTIB.

I find it weird when people “go early” and then refuse to change based on evidence presented, for fear of their pride taking a hit.

At the end of the day, without the various types of opinion we have, this forum would be a shadow of what it is.

Funny old game. You have every right to change your opinion .

Especially when you get it wrong, Dave.

In the apparent unlikely event that the Lansdown's and BT have actually made a good choice of new Manager then no doubt you will retract your statement that " I will not support the hierarchy" and several others which I'm happy to remind you of 😉

• Facepalm 2

3 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Which is completely untrue. 

I posted plenty of positive comments about the performances against West Ham and Forest and Boro and then I called the victory vs Soton as the complete performance. 

Also given Manning praise for adapting in his interviews and for adapting his overload of information and his style and for going back to a back 4. 

That doesn't suit your narrative tho. 

OK

Re-post them and for every post you repeat - I'll post two of yours that aren't!!!

It's like starting with a 3-0 lead at kick off!

• Confused 1

35 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

In the apparent unlikely event that the Lansdown's and BT have actually made a good choice of new Manager then no doubt you will retract your statement that " I will not support the hierarchy" and several others which I'm happy to remind you of 😉

A broken clock is right twice a day…

As you seem so ready and keen to “remind” others if they’re wrong - what’s your opinion on Manning?

Good or bad appointment?

Expectations? 

You seem defensive of him and the Lansdown’s so presume you approve?

Promotion under Manning?

Why don’t you stick your neck on the line, put your money where your mouth is and give us some statements we can “remind” you of? 

Given you’re happy to be critical of others and clearly feeling bullish, 2 wins and suddenly everyone was wrong to criticise the club…hmmm 

Edited by Alessandro
  • Like 3
  • Flames 2

37 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Yeah….and when you quote, make sure you quote in full, make sure you quote the context if it’s in reply to someone, and then I’ll happily have a grown-up discussion about it.

Never afraid to admit I’m wrong.  Never have been.

Never afraid to change my opinion either.  Never have been.

I “love” the satisfaction you get from trawling through people’s posts and posting them on here.  Or do you catalogue them in the desperate attempt that you might be able to say - but you said this Dave in November or you were “wrong” when you posted this Dave.

Fill your boots, if that’s what you get your kicks from.

Says more about you than me!

• Like 5
  • Flames 6

40 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yeah….and when you quote, make sure you quote in full, make sure you quote the context if it’s in reply to someone, and then I’ll happily have a grown-up discussion about it.

I “love” the satisfaction you get from trawling through people’s posts and posting them on here.  Or do you catalogue them in the desperate attempt that you might be able to say - but you said this Dave in November or you were “wrong” when you posted this Dave.

#Superfan

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

OK Dave- you did indeed say " I will not support the hierarchy". It is not out of context- that's not my thing. Also, it's weird that people may think I spend ages on trolling through past posts. My background is in research so it takes me less than a few minutes to check on where I remember a post which is entirely contrary to a new post- like when someone is backtracking on a previous categoric statement.

One can , of course, start a new thread to make light of a previous "but" thread . Fair play- warm tummy feeling.. 

However- just over two weeks ago here is what you said and it is not out of context (copy and pasted) and you clearly had very serious doubts about LM in comparison to the previous manager and had little leeway for those who felt NP was right to have been dismissed or Brian Tinnion's role in that (these comments are from one thread alone). We all get it wrong Dave but it's not fair to use your position as the most regular poster with 60,000 posts and virtually 200 posts per week to belittle others who don't see it your way! 

Manning 17 / 15 * 30 (games under him) = 34 plus the 21 points that he started with = 55 with those players back.

But one less win is a regression, especially against an expectation of progression.

But I can’t be arsed to put too much effort into the debate tonight! 

For a headcoach who wants his teams to control possession / dominate the ball, we have a funny way of showing it.  We actually have less possession than under Nige.  In recent games we also seem incapable of even knocking it around the backline.

It reminded me of very few Nige team performances once he got the wasters out in summer of 2021.  The worry for me is that we’ve had quite a few already from Manning’s teams and he’s only been here 3 months.

Some of that will be embedding his style, but it actually feels like we started to feel his improvements and we are now going backwards.

I don’t have a warm, fuzzy feeling at the mo’, but nor am I impatient.  But there is a helluva lot to critique currently.  It certainly isn’t rosy.

We didn’t scout / identify Scott per se, we got “handed him” in effect.

As it stands and we can debate the theory….LM is devaluing Conway to the external market and devaluing his use to Bristol City.

The true definition of a shit sandwich.

We have a head-coach who after 2 games here acknowledged that he needed to work on patterns to create those types of chances for TC, whilst also trying to develop his “short game”.

A few games later having not found a way to service Tommy like he said he would work-on, he’s then saying Tommy is gonna have to get used to working off different chances.  That’s fair enough in one regard, but an early marker for me of paying a bit of “lip-service” to being able to adapt to what resources he has.  And re “short game” what improvements have we seen there that trade-off to the chances bit?  None really.

The less goals Tommy scores, the less he is worth.  That’s a simple hypothesis.

The less goals Tommy scores, together with his increased frustrations at lack of service, the less chance he has of staying.  That’s a simple hypothesis too.  The counter is that nobody else wants him, but we have less effective player in our ranks.

I think you are making excuses for Manning.  I think you’re trying to make it about Pearson as a defence.

If you think it’s fine under him, great, explain why, don’t keep dragging it into a Nige v Liam debate.

I think you’re misconstruing my thoughts as being anti-Manning (because I was a fan of Nige).  I’m not.  I’m merely responding to what I’ve witnessed under LM.  If you think I’m missing something, say so, but to keep trying to frame mine and others views because I liked Nige is getting tiring.  If this was 3 games in, yes, that would be wrong, but it’s 18 games.  It’s more than enough to spot trends.

But…even though it was far from perfect attacking under Nige, it has got worse under Manning.  I can’t ignore that. That is not to say it won’t / can’t change, just merely observing the current “results”

If I was to be really selective (but I’m not, I try to balance) and ignore:

• Chances from set-pieces
  • Chances from high-press turnovers in the opposition final third

our open attacking play under LM borders on a huge regression.  That goes against the grain of appointing someone like Manning.  He’s minimising opportunities to counter-attack, preferring to start attacks in a structured way, but not getting results.  I feel it is worthy of discussion, especially after 15 (18) games.

I posted at the time of Nige’s sacking who would undertake the roles he undertook as “Football Manager”?  Who would backfill his experience?

What we got back was a new structure.  It really covered how they replaced Phil Alexander rather than how they replaced Nigel Pearson.  I can only assume that between Liam Manning and Brian Tinnion they thought they could cover what Nige did.  The problem (in my eyes) is that Nigel worked holistically across the football side of the club and we won’t replace that with the skillsets of LM and BT, nor have they got the experience of Nige either.  I don’t see Tins as a 🐍 (I’ll accept I might be naive) but I don’t see him as the deep thinker either.  I’m glad we aren’t having to negotiate FFP and having to somehow remain competitive on a relative shoestring.

Nige handed over a wonderful position to continue the progress.  It is in danger of being filed in the bin.

2 hours ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

OK

Re-post them and for every post you repeat - I'll post two of yours that aren't!!!

It's like starting with a 3-0 lead at kick off!

When I post an opinion. At that exact time it is how I see things. 

How I see things may change over time. 

When we went 6 games without winning I had huge concerns. Now we've won 2 in a row with one of them being against Southampton then those concerns have eroded. I react to events as and when they happen. If that means me changing my opinion, so be it. 

For example had we of gone 6 games without a win this season under Nigel I'd also have had huge concerns. 

Quite frankly I don't give a crap who the manager of this club is. What I give a crap about is where we finish and that's the centre of every opinion I post. 

I am not aware that I have posted anything negative since we beat Southampton? Because there is no need to. 

Another example, at half time vs Boro I praised the fact we were playing front foot football. Second half we changed formation and took Cornick off, over the next couple of days I reacted to those changes that were made. 

react
verb I ]

UK 

/riˈækt/ US 

/riˈækt/

B2
to act in a particular way as a direct result of something else:

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Davefevs said:

How come you bold certain bits and not the others?

What a sad, desperate poster you are.

Mainly to highlight certain bits when pressing a point/statement/opinion and not the others. You regularly do the same, Dave. Perhaps that makes us both sad and desperate? 

It's just a forum full of differing opinions such as mine in support of the Lansdowns and the excellent work which Brian Tinnion had done for over a decade.

In truth, I'm pretty happy how things are turning out because I agreed with a lot of the statements made about getting more out of this current squad and that appears to be becoming the case.

The improvement in the team is there for all to see.Just content to watch the remaining games and hope the improvement continues.Even if we go on an incredible run i think the play-offs may be a bridge too-far. You can quite clearly see the hard work being put in by the players, and  thats good enough for me.

13 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Mainly to highlight certain bits when pressing a point/statement/opinion and not the others. You regularly do the same, Dave. Perhaps that makes us both sad and desperate? 

It's just a forum full of differing opinions such as mine in support of the Lansdowns and the excellent work which Brian Tinnion had done for over a decade.

In truth, I'm pretty happy how things are turning out because I agreed with a lot of the statements made about getting more out of this current squad and that appears to be becoming the case.

No, it’s very different to quoting something in a current thread that’s getting posts and highlighting the bits you’re referring to.  Especially when threads can go off in different directions

You are taking someone’s post from the past and trying to throw it back in their face, because they might’ve posted something at the time that might no longer be the case now.  It might not have been right then, it’s an opinion.  But it could’ve been right at the time too, e.g. at that point, results and underlying numbers in certain areas showed we had regressed.  You fail to take the context, the balance, the counter-argument, the admission, that sometimes comes in the very next sentence.

I find it all a bit childish, but it’s not the first time you’ve done it to me or others.  I doubt it will be the last.

+++++

I will continue to evaluate, opine, like I always have.  But I won’t be worrying whether it might be different to something I’ve said in the past, things don’t stay at a constant.

I certainly won’t be posting in fear that Marina’s Rolls Royce will be sat there itching to bring up a post from the past with - “but you said this Dave

+++++

Sorry to everyone else who’s had to read this spat.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Davefevs said:

How come you bold certain bits and not the others?

What a sad, desperate poster you are.

Oh yes. A poster on a forum who will delve into a persons posting history to prove a point . A sad pathetic individual who been proved to be a a character assassin & a fabricator of truths . Our very own henbury gas  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

You are taking someone’s post from the past and trying to throw it back in their face, because they might’ve posted something at the time that might no longer be the case now.

I know this very well!

As for "childish" , I don't see you saying the same thing when you are quoted on something you have got 'bang on'. Learn to take the rough with the smooth, Dave. 

And yes, I'll continue quote something that someone says particularly when it's relevant to an ongoing usually negative narrative in exactly the same way as it happens to me. I just don't get upset about it like some.

You are fully aware that I was and am fully supportive of what has transpired in respect of Nige being replaced and this really goes against the grain of populist opinion on otib. What a dull place if everyone were to agree with every narrative.

1 hour ago, steviestevieneville said:

Oh yes. A poster on a forum who will delve into a persons posting history to prove a point . A sad pathetic individual who been proved to be a a character assassin & a fabricator of truths . Our very own henbury gas  

Same old same old and you just can't help yourself  despite putting me on ignore something I've never personally done in 10 years . Your inability to put forward a cohesive argument and just resort to name calling is your forum identity. The ultimate position in a failed exchange is to call someone gas . 

• Facepalm 1

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

No, it’s very different to quoting something in a current thread that’s getting posts and highlighting the bits you’re referring to.  Especially when threads can go off in different directions

You are taking someone’s post from the past and trying to throw it back in their face, because they might’ve posted something at the time that might no longer be the case now.  It might not have been right then, it’s an opinion.  But it could’ve been right at the time too, e.g. at that point, results and underlying numbers in certain areas showed we had regressed.  You fail to take the context, the balance, the counter-argument, the admission, that sometimes comes in the very next sentence.

I find it all a bit childish, but it’s not the first time you’ve done it to me or others.  I doubt it will be the last.

+++++

I will continue to evaluate, opine, like I always have.  But I won’t be worrying whether it might be different to something I’ve said in the past, things don’t stay at a constant.

I certainly won’t be posting in fear that Marina’s Rolls Royce will be sat there itching to bring up a post from the past with - “but you said this Dave

+++++

Sorry to everyone else who’s had to read this spat.

@Davefevs - I think, whether people agree or disagree with your opinion, you’re one of the most level headed posters on here and always seem willing to accept if/when you’re wrong.

Ultimately you’re a keen fan, not an expert, nor do you pretend to be, despite your knowledge shown in your analysis work.

You don’t need me or anyone to ‘protect’ you on here but IMO you don’t have to prove anything to anyone. 

I do think @Marina's Rolls Royce’s going after you quite so early in the fashion they have…well, I hope they’re as able to eat humble pie as they’re willing to serve it out - these things usually come around to bite back.

EDIT - especially as I don’t think you’ve made many statements that could yet be classed undoubtedly as ‘wrong’. Long way to go….

Edited by Alessandro
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Absolutely I've got thoughts- on just about everything but if you can please be much more specific , I can give you a much more specific answer.

Ah I see we’re not taking the rough with the smooth very well…

2 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Really- you can do so much better.

Ask me specifically for what you want my thoughts on and I'll answer unless you were just looking to score points?

Interesting comment, given your posts in this thread..pot kettle.

Your thoughts on Manning, the clubs decision making and our chances of promotion, as set by the club?