IGNORED

Roy Hodgson.

pillred

Just now, 22A said:

I know football is heartless, but on the radio they've just announced who is lined up by Palace to replace Roy "As he may be losing his job".

It can't just be a coincidence that the rumours of an imminent sacking and his sudden ill health are not linked. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, 22A said:

I know football is heartless, but on the radio they've just announced who is lined up by Palace to replace Roy "As he may be losing his job".

If they were going to sack him then they should go through with it as im guessing thats what both board and fans want?

Not sure about Palace fans expectations tbh, Charlton were doing better than them when they "upgraded" on Curbishley and look at them now.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Natchfever said:

If they were going to sack him then they should go through with it

They would have to be a right see you next Tuesday's to sack a bloke, while he is in hospital.

I would say to Palace - be careful what you wish for. Sheffield United and Burnley are probably already down, and they have a 5 point lead over Everton. They are performing at their level

11 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Talksport by any chance?

No; Greatest Hits. I stopped listening to Talksport when their Studio Experts were discussing Chris Garland. "He was always a Chelsea player and at then of his career, he moved to Bristol City".

• Flames 1
  • Facepalm 1

5 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

They would have to be a right see you next Tuesday's to sack a bloke, while he is in hospital.

I would say to Palace - be careful what you wish for. Sheffield United and Burnley are probably already down, and they have a 5 point lead over Everton. They are performing at their level

Lose Monday they are in the shit and their fans will want change im sure like most clubs in their position and it may have been planned for weeks of course.

Agree they should be careful hence my reference to neighbours Charlton.

People on here were alluding to NP being relieved of duties as his health wasnt up to it. I dont believe that personally, but if you are going backwards, was going to change manager to avoid relegation and said manager fell ill, I dont see why that should change a decision that may affect tens of millions of pounds.

Maybe the owners think the squad should be higher up the league ? Not an uncommon view.

In theory they (Crystal Palace) seemed to be moving in a new direction.

4-3-3ish and some new impetus.

Olise added to Eze and Zaha. Plus Guehi, Andersen, Edouard. New additions technically sound and exciting, 25 and under...Vieira.

They lost their nerve and sacked Vieira. Hodgson back and suddenly had them flying and playing rather attack minded stuff in Spring 2023 albeit somewhat dependent on ranking. Seem to have reverted to type again this year to a degree.

Doesn't seem that comparable to NP, we were still progressing injuries permitting and being starved of funds as he was.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

There will be clauses in his contract that cover what happens if he becomes too ill to do the job. It won't be a normal "sacking", but he might leave the role, and that would be for the best if he truly is too ill to do the job as no job is worth your health.

Obviously I wish him all the best and hope for a speedy recovery.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Back of the Dolman said:

I’ve got to say if I was his age and with a very healthy bank balance, I don’t think I’d want the hassle of managing a premier league football team.

My thoughts exactly. He obviously loves the challenge but I feel for his family too who must worry about him. More and more it feels like a young mans game (managing).

15 minutes ago, Open End Numb Legs said:

My thoughts exactly. He obviously loves the challenge but I feel for his family too who must worry about him. More and more it feels like a young mans game (managing).

Yes I’d agree, he’s probably already spent a lot of time away from his family due to the demands of football.

I’d of thought if he wanted to still give something to football and gain enjoyment from it then there would be plenty of youth/local teams in his area that could benefit very much from his knowledge 

As a former City manager (although the less said about his actual time here the better) we should all be wishing Roy a speedy and complete recovery. Hope he gets well soon and probably best off leaving the “Eagles” to it tbh.

33 minutes ago, Super said:

His health is all that matters. Shame on Palace sounds like his succesor is already lined up. Expect nothing less from Parish.

I think this was all moving towards a Hodgson retirement at the end of the season, so it’s unsurprising if the have someone lined up.

13 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Palace had already agreed terms with Oliver Glasner who won the Europa. League with Eintracht Frankfurt.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2024/feb/15/crystal-palace-roy-hodgson-oliver-glasner-manager

Yeah , the fans have been grumbling and the board have been getting twitchy , I'm surprised he's lasted this long. 
I hope he's back fighting fit soon, he doesn't need the stress and it may be a relief . As for Palace , that's a good comparison @Natchfever and I wouldn't shed a tear if they followed Charlton's route . That said they have some good players and the Manager coming in sounds a good choice , time will tell.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Offside said:

Best wishes to him. I’ve always liked him, he comes across as a decent guy. 

Yep seems a decent guy did think he let himself down after the Iceland defeat by that was a while ago now.

2 hours ago, Super said:

His health is all that matters. Shame on Palace sounds like his succesor is already lined up. Expect nothing less from Parish.

I am pretty sure I read very recently that Steve Parish was all in favour of keeping Roy Hodgson on as manager until the end of the season.

Clearly, if RH’s health isn’t up to returning to management, and surely his health is the all important factor here, to all parties, not least to him and his family, then a replacement should be brought in as soon as is practicably possible.

Should this turn out to be the case, then I am not sure why Steve Parish would be deserving of any criticism.

4 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I am pretty sure I read very recently that Steve Parish was all in favour of keeping Roy Hodgson on as manager until the end of the season.

Clearly, if RH’s health isn’t up to returning to management, and surely his health is the all important factor here, to all parties, not least to him and his family, then a replacement should be brought in as soon as is practicably possible.

Should this turn out to be the case, then I am not sure why Steve Parish would be deserving of any criticism.

Seems Palace have already lined this new guy up.