IGNORED

How do we beat these teams?

BCFCGav

We were in this exact situation just after Christmas, riding high off the back of successive wins against top 6 challengers. Then came Brum and Millwall where we got one point and no goals.

Same situation today, and many said beforehand (only partly tongue in cheek) that it would be very us to labour and lose. As of course came to pass. 

I know we’re not the professional coaches but any ideas what we should be doing differently? Or is it a case of giving LM the windows he needs to build a possession squad given we currently have a squad assembled for transitional play. Which would of course mean another year or more of stagnation, as we’re all too familiar with in the Lansdown reign!

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

Mate we’re a mid table team with a mid table budget.

There’s a reason everyone says “anyone can beat anyone” in the championship - we are like all the other mid table teams, capable of a big result but massively inconsistent. 

How do we beat these teams? Well there’s the million dollar question….the answer all too often is you get out what you put in…££££££

• Like 9
  • Hmmm 1
  • Flames 1

Well I think the answer has to be, you do something different. If we can’t go round them, then we have to go direct. Even the occasional ball over the top wouldn’t hurt now and again, when all else is clearly failing. 

When Sykes came on I expected to see his usual runs down the wing full of pace etc. but it didn’t happen. We possessed the ball too much at the back reverting to the usual “pass it back” style, with no one being brave enough to create something or anything else. 

I think my criticism of LM would be a seeming lack of adapting to the game that’s evolving in front of him. It feels like Plan A is all there is and if that’s not working then bring on the subs without any change in application. 

It won’t take long for any team to work out how we play. 

Edited by JP Hampton
  • Like 1
  • Flames 2

Tbf we have a bang average squad :laugh: spend some money buy some genuine quality in key areas and you will find we will do much better. We are atrocious right at the top end of the pitch imo we need that creative attacking midfielder and a striker who's on the same page 

Edited by BCFC31
  • Like 1
  • Robin 1

1 hour ago, JP Hampton said:

Well I think the answer has to be, you do something different. If we can't go round them, then we have to go direct. Even the occasional ball over the top wouldn’t hurt now and again, when all else is clearly failing. 

When Sykes came on I expected to see his usual runs down the wing full of pace etc. but it didn’t happen. We possessed the ball too much at the back reverting to the usual “pass it back” style, with no one being brave enough to create something or anything else. 

I think my criticism of LM would be a seeming lack of adapting to the game that’s evolving in front of him. It feels like Plan A is all there is and if that’s not working then bring on the subs without any change in application. 

It won’t take long for any team to work out how we play. 

Yes, as first suggested by Michael Rosen, in the late 80s 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We need to break their concentration by being fast and/or physical. Drawing contact and winding them right up.

Semenyo type players - fast and strong

Chris Martin type players - ridiculously strong and can get in an opposition’s head.

Scott type players - move it fast through the middle, or do something skilful and unpredictable.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BCFCGav said:

We were in this exact situation just after Christmas, riding high off the back of successive wins against top 6 challengers. Then came Brum and Millwall where we got one point and no goals.

Same situation today, and many said beforehand (only partly tongue in cheek) that it would be very us to labour and lose. As of course came to pass. 

I know we’re not the professional coaches but any ideas what we should be doing differently? Or is it a case of giving LM the windows he needs to build a possession squad given we currently have a squad assembled for transitional play. Which would of course mean another year or more of stagnation, as we’re all too familiar with in the Lansdown reign!

Get a decent coach 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Super said:

Main thing is move the ball quicker be braver in possession not keep passing backwards like Williams and James did mainly all game.

Agree, it’s so frustrating playing right up to the edge of their 18 yard box only to play it back to our CBs, across the pitch and rinse and repeat until we eventually lose the ball 

Edited by Graham76
Typo
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Graham76 said:

Agree, it’s so frustrating playing right up to the edge of their 18 yard box only to play it back to our CBs, across the pitch and rinse and repeat until we eventually lose the ball 

I don't think James and Williams work against these teams certainly at home anyway. 

15 minutes ago, bearded_red said:

On days that’s we’ve played ‘these teams’ and failed to break them down I’d get this thread, we got absolutely beaten fair and square.

Also, I understand the frustration of our performances against the more attritional, physical sides (Preston, Millwall, Birmingham), but QPR were nothing of the sort.

Answering the question on how we win today & against those sort of teams is two completely different ones.

We were flat today, our substitutions were odd & we lacked penetration.

The latter point needs addressing in the summer anyway, our top scorer in the league has 6 & we’ve scored 38 in 33 games.

As well as our goalkeeper (sorry Max haters, it’s the case) & 2 centre backs play, we don’t score anywhere near enough goals & that’s been the case under Pearson & Manning.

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

I don’t think it’s a coincidence we do well against teams that want to play open football. We have no idea how to breakdown teams that keep it tight and solid.

I get the anyone can beat anyone posts that get made now and again, but this is now a ‘thing’, and it’s not going away. LMs record against the bottom half is now something like W0, D3, L6. That is well beyond the normal swings and roundabouts in the Championship and symptomatic of a real issue. It was not new today, nor was the way they played in any way unexpected. We tried what had failed to work in previous matches and looked bereft of ideas when it failed to work this time.

Its been enough matches like this now to, well, try something different! 

• Flames 1

If LM is the deep thinker he is reported to be, he will know that the team needs a plan B for when the opposition sit deep and crowd us out in midfield.

I think we have seen that he has a plan A that works pretty well for when the opposition push up through our half.

For that reason, as frustrating as it is, we need to give him more time including having the opportunity to bring in a couple of extra players who might be more suited to that approach.

• Hmmm 1