IGNORED

Best City managers

Jerseybean

From the ones on there I actually watched ;

Alan Dicks got us to Div 1 , Semi final of the League Cup and won the Anglo Scottish . Most successful manager in our recent history.  I think THAT Leeds game may have saved his job as we were having a poor year after some building. 

Joe Jordan got us to another Semi Final and I'm convinced we would have got to the playoffs at least if he hadn't left. 

Danny Wilson decent, but could have been so much better . That Brighton Playoff ???

Terry Cooper has Godlike status in my eyes. For all he did to save and resurrect the Club on a shoestring , the style of football and even just giving us that game at Eastville , real Legend and my personal favourite .

Edited by 1960maaan
  • Like 5

Before my time, but Harry Thickett should be in with a shout of the title City's best Manager.

Got us out of Div 2 P38 W30 D6 L2 F83 A28.

The following season, runners up in Div 1. P38 W20 D 8 L10 F66 A47

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sir Geoff said:

Harry Thickitt

Alan Dicks

Subjective, there after

1 hour ago, 22A said:

Before my time, but Harry Thickett should be in with a shout of the title City's best Manager.

Got us out of Div 2 P38 W30 D6 L2 F83 A28.

The following season, runners up in Div 1. P38 W20 D 8 L10 F66 A47

Sounds like he should be but who alive knows how good Thickett really was? Absolutely mental I know, but his last game in charge was temporarily stopped when a plane flew over.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

From the ones on there I actually watched ;

Alan Dicks got us to Div 1 , Semi final of the League Cup and won the Anglo Scottish . Most successful manager in our recent history.  I think THAT Leeds game may have saved his job as we were having a poor year after some building. 

Joe Jordan got us to another Semi Final and I'm convinced we would have got to the playoffs at least if he hadn't left. 

Danny Wilson decent, but could have been so much better . That Brighton Playoff ???

Terry Cooper has Godlike status in my eyes. For all he did to save and resurrect the Club on a shoestring , the style of football and even just giving us that game at Eastville , real Legend and my personal favourite .

I had to look the league cup up, thanks, didnt know about the semi v Spurs.

Did you go? 

If yes,

Did you go to both legs?

What do you remember?

Edited by MattWSM
typo

2 minutes ago, MattWSM said:

I had to look the league cup up, thanks, didnt know about the semi v Spurs.

Did you go? 

If yes,

Did you go to both legs?

What do you remember?

I wasn't even allowed to go to the home leg, school night :facepalm:

I was 8 or 9 so didn't have much of an argument. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, RedLionLad said:

I take it you are wanting to mention Danny Wilson and not Gary ‘one trick pony’ Johnson

Lord Danny provided the most entertaining football at AG that I’d ever seen. Fortunately he had the players to produce such attractive play, Tinnion and Murray to name just two.

Honorable mention for John Ward who seems to be a bit over looked here.

He took over an average side left by big Joe after a less than brilliant second spell and took it into the play offs and then pushed Watford all the way to get promotion in his second season. Some may argue he was starting to get a tune out of the team in the 98-99 season before he quit because of the Bennie saga.

He should certainly be ahead of Wilson even though Wilsons style of play may have been better. Ward got us promoted.

Edited by Midlands Robin
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Lord Danny provided the most entertaining football at AG that I’d ever seen. Fortunately he had the players to produce such attractive play, Tinnion and Murray to name just two.

The play off final at the Millennium wasn't entertaining - the biggest let down in my 50 years of watching City, deservedly sacked for failing to set us up for a game that even Brighton didn't think they would win. A serial failure who has won virtually nothing since being rightly sacked. A lazy manager who allowed a drinking culture to prevail - how unprofessional to lose your main striker for several games at the start of the season after he injured himself drunkenly falling off a bar stool in Marbella. 

Fortunately GJ tolerated no such shenanigans and called out anybody not getting on board wether on the pitch......or among the fanbase!

• Like 4

Hard to include anyone from pre 1960, as so few will remember those times.

Since then, I'd say:

Dicks, GJ, Cooper, Jordan, Cotterill. Sad thing is we've achieved so little in the last 50 years, so it becomes quite difficult to pick managers

3 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

The play off final at the Millennium wasn't entertaining - the biggest let down in my 50 years of watching City, 

That’s a very depressing comment CR. Like you I’ve been going to AG for decades, since I was 12 in fact. I have had too many let downs including relegations to put them in any kind of order.

If I were to order them then losing the play off final at Wembley when City couldn’t manage a shot on target would be number one. That’s most disappointment that I’ve ever felt at a football match.

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

If I were to order them then losing the play off final at Wembley when City couldn’t manage a shot on target would be number one. That’s most disappointment that I’ve ever felt at a football match.

To be fair to you, if you ignore the 13 shots on target we had in that game you'd be spot on.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Flames 1