IGNORED

footballers cutting holes in socks

27 minutes ago, Tony Tootle said:

They also cut holes in boots. Firminho does it. Something to do with the heel bone.

There is a condition called Haglunds where a bony spur forms where the achilles is attached. There is a benefit to altering the boot to a  miniscule number of players.

Cutting holes in socks is supposedly done to reduce pressure on the calf, which in turn reduces risk of cramp. There is no medical basis for it, players cutting holes in their socks get cramp as well! 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, shahanshahan said:

City Women defender Brooke Aspin had holes in her socks a few weeks ago. And was caught on video...

Brooke Aspin has always had the holes cut in her socks, although I've never seen any player, male or female, that takes it to the extremes that she does!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Laner said:

If you cut a hole, isn't there still the same amount of material? Just less tight? God I'm overthinking this for a Monday morning 🫣

If the sock is less tight could it there fore in fact not be a sock at all and that could lead to  litigation and elongated legal procedure being called for in defining what is and what is not a sock. Who will protect the rights of the sock to be a sock and not have extra holes cut in it. Causing grave identification and self worth problems for all socks world wide 

Support your local socks against exploitation now 

1 hour ago, Tony Tootle said:

They also cut holes in boots. Firminho does it. Something to do with the heel bone.

⬇️⬇️⬇️

1 hour ago, Cowshed said:

There is a condition called Haglunds where a bony spur forms where the achilles is attached. There is a benefit to altering the boot to a  miniscule number of players.

Cutting holes in socks is supposedly done to reduce pressure on the calf, which in turn reduces risk of cramp. There is no medical basis for it, players cutting holes in their socks get cramp as well! 

I still recall Trevor Francis (RIP) getting Achilles injuries in the early 80s, and blaming it on the lightweight, “modern” (as it was at the time) boot.  They only got lighter and lighter over the years.  Any school of thought on that?

+++++

I still remember my first pairs of Puma Kings, they had a nice thick leather, still soft, not over heavy, but over the years the leather got thinner and thinner.  No idea what today’s boots are like, it’s 20+ years since I played.

14 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

⬇️⬇️⬇️

I still recall Trevor Francis (RIP) getting Achilles injuries in the early 80s, and blaming it on the lightweight, “modern” (as it was at the time) boot.  They only got lighter and lighter over the years.  Any school of thought on that?

+++++

I still remember my first pairs of Puma Kings, they had a nice thick leather, still soft, not over heavy, but over the years the leather got thinner and thinner.  No idea what today’s boots are like, it’s 20+ years since I played.

there was also that spell when loads of metatarsal injuries happend as the boots didn't protect the top of the foot. boot design trying to be clever to get more sales.

but back to the socks, i cannot believe it's that difficult to create varying tightness around the calf.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

⬇️⬇️⬇️

+++++

There are increases now in certain injuries. One is injuries to the achilles. Sports scientists put this down toboots providing  less support around the achilles and the very high use of 4G pitches (they are harder). Seems logical enough.

I really don't like many modern boots, and particularly gimmicky boots with sock fitting. Its anecdotal but I have lost count of the number of kids I see suffering with blisters, and at times severe blisters caused by the ill fitting sock. 

Puma Kings are still a popular boot, still particularly wide fitting. Still well protected, and still soft. If you return to football in some form do not wear Kings on 4G unless they are King astro trainers, the soft leather wears out remarkable quickly v the synthetic grass. 

Edited by Cowshed

5 hours ago, Ronnie Sinclair said:

Another fad - I remember when players started wearing "cycling shorts" underneath their usual shorts (late 80's?).  The one that annoys me most is long sleeved base layers under a short sleeved jersey, it looks crap bring back to good old long-sleeved jersey (see also short-sleeved GK jerseys, they just look wrong with gloves) 

See also those daft across the nose things in the 90s 

13 hours ago, Cowshed said:

Doesn't compression improve blood flow? So would seem counter productive to cut holes to reduce risk.