IGNORED

Radio Bristol Saturday Post match improvements needed

Lord Northski

Perhaps I was just in a really bad mood following City’s all too predicable no show on Saturday. But I left the ground, walked back to the car, turned on Radio Bristol and wanted to hear other fans throwing teacups, smashing up their houses and having a right bloody rant at the crap that they’d seen served up and wanted to vent and wallow in the misery we were all feeling. 
Instead, we have to share the radio station with flipping Rovers and their miserable manager. Yeovil, Bath and a stupid game called rugby, all of whom I couldn’t give a fig about.

Now, if there wasn’t anything we could do about this then I wouldn’t have bothered posting. But there is, Radio Bristol splits frequencies for the match commentary, so perhaps have a phone in with the match commentators or their sidekicks until 5.30 or 5.45 for the two big clubs, with the third frequency used for the smaller clubs. 
Yes, it’ll  probably be the usual voices, but I’d much rather listen to them, than listen to the manager of Marshfield who’ve earned a replay at Folkestone, or whatever. (nothing against Marshfield, just an example)

Failing that, there’s definitely a place for a regular post match podcast immediately the game’s finished. I know Forever Bristol City are doing one this coming Saturday at Sheffield Wednesday) but, that’s unusual. Radio Bristol have the staff, the knowhow, they’re already at the game and the independence to tell it like it is. Either the match day commentator, Chris Honor, or Gary Owers are all perfectly capable of hosting this, all of whom have the credibility and professionalism to carry this off.
Radio Bristol aren't averse to new ideas. Coverage of evening matches used to finish at 10pm, but now regularly stays on air until 10.30, and the phone in was always a lot better as Marshfield weren’t playing. But the Saturday post match offering needs freshening up, and could be more tailored. Otherwise you’ll be handing the your entire audience over to another provider, when you have the skills and ability to retain them. 

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Lord Northski said:

Perhaps I was just in a really bad mood following City’s all too predicable no show on Saturday. But I left the ground, walked back to the car, turned on Radio Bristol and wanted to hear other fans throwing teacups, smashing up their houses and having a right bloody rant at the crap that they’d seen served up and wanted to vent and wallow in the misery we were all feeling. 
Instead, we have to share the radio station with flipping Rovers and their miserable manager. Yeovil, Bath and a stupid game called rugby, all of whom I couldn’t give a fig about.

Now, if there wasn’t anything we could do about this then I wouldn’t have bothered posting. But there is, Radio Bristol splits frequencies for the match commentary, so perhaps have a phone in with the match commentators or their sidekicks until 5.30 or 5.45 for the two big clubs, with the third frequency used for the smaller clubs. 
Yes, it’ll  probably be the usual voices, but I’d much rather listen to them, than listen to the manager of Marshfield who’ve earned a replay at Folkestone, or whatever. (nothing against Marshfield, just an example)

Failing that, there’s definitely a place for a regular post match podcast immediately the game’s finished. I know Forever Bristol City are doing one this coming Saturday at Sheffield Wednesday) but, that’s unusual. Radio Bristol have the staff, the knowhow, they’re already at the game and the independence to tell it like it is. Either the match day commentator, Chris Honor, or Gary Owers are all perfectly capable of hosting this, all of whom have the credibility and professionalism to carry this off.
Radio Bristol aren't averse to new ideas. Coverage of evening matches used to finish at 10pm, but now regularly stays on air until 10.30, and the phone in was always a lot better as Marshfield weren’t playing. But the Saturday post match offering needs freshening up, and could be more tailored. Otherwise you’ll be handing the your entire audience over to another provider, when you have the skills and ability to retain them. 

I like it. You are right splitting frequency happens every Saturday just extend it!

• Like 1

The major problem with this that immediately sticks out is post-match the commentator is immediately scampering downstairs for interviews and isn’t returning to his desk until 1745-1800 (on a Saturday, for example).

And then, either way, getting a co-commentator to do it is still going to involve additional production in the studio fielding phone calls/comnecting/cutting off etc.

Basically, it’s a really good idea in theory but won’t work practically - at least not without spending money that could be better used elsewhere.

Personally, I would actually just make it a Bristol football only phone-in though and cut out the non-league football and rugby union (you could still make those interviews available online and broadcast them if something exceptional was said).

The station wouldn’t have the bottle to do that - you’re in “we’ll always do it that way because we’ve always done it that way” territory.

• Like 1