IGNORED

When did we last score from a free kick

I'd be interested to see how many final third free kicks we actually win in a "shootable" position (i.e. not near the corner flag or whatever"). I suspect it's not many, and the considered possession based style just isn't going to win as many as a faster moving or counter attacking style.

Then from the few we win, it's actually unlikely we'll score. One of the best in the world at the moment, Ward-Prowse, scores 13% or so - and he really is a bit of an outlier. Messi and Ronaldo are both under 10%.

So if we're only winning a shootable free-kick once every few games, and then only scoring well under 10% of them it's not really surprising.

Looking quickly In the premiership (https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/clubs/att_freekick_goal), half the season is gone and there have only been 5 direct free kicks scored this season. So that's one in every 50 games played or so I think... So that's about one per season we'd SEE (which could be by the other team!) - or roughly one every two seasons we'd score. Which is about what we think we see so... who knows?

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

I'd be interested to see how many final third free kicks we actually win in a "shootable" position (i.e. not near the corner flag or whatever"). I suspect it's not many, and the considered possession based style just isn't going to win as many as a faster moving or counter attacking style.

Then from the few we win, it's actually unlikely we'll score. One of the best in the world at the moment, Ward-Prowse, scores 13% or so - and he really is a bit of an outlier. Messi and Ronaldo are both under 10%.

So if we're only winning a shootable free-kick once every few games, and then only scoring well under 10% of them it's not really surprising.

Looking quickly In the premiership (https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/clubs/att_freekick_goal), half the season is gone and there have only been 5 direct free kicks scored this season. So that's one in every 50 games played or so I think... So that's about one per season we'd SEE (which could be by the other team!) - or roughly one every two seasons we'd score. Which is about what we think we see so... who knows?

Yeh I found this which says roughly 6% of PL direct free kicks go in https://sqaf.club/free-kick-goal-stats/. Not sure if it's only counting those that might reasonably go in. Guess it shows you that Ward-prowse is genuinely good at them if he's going at more than double that rate.

It's similar to corners - which people get excited about - but actually only result in a goal something like 3% of the time.

If our players are below average at these skills then it's no surprise we don't get many.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Agree, although he did score in the FA Cup with a deflected free kick past…..Frank Fielding, who brought down Diedhiou for a pen in the same game.  I’m not sure we can count it! 🤣🤣🤣

Yes thought Wells had scored one for us. This was in January 2021.

Jamie Paterson scored 3 for us, vaguely recall the Derby one whereby it was the first time goal line technology was used for us: https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/paterson-makes-history-at-ashton-gate/

• Flames 1

4 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

When did we last concede from a direct free kick? Not exactly a regular occurance is it 

Goals directly from free kicks in Football as a whole has on average got lower every season for quite a while I think.

• Thanks 1

Although nowhere near as bad statistically, but generally I think we score very few from outside the box, TGH springs to mind and for a couple of games under LM we started to get a lot of longer range shots off, but in general we don't shoot very much even when it's been a very wet skiddy surface.

10 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

Yeh I found this which says roughly 6% of PL direct free kicks go in https://sqaf.club/free-kick-goal-stats/. Not sure if it's only counting those that might reasonably go in. Guess it shows you that Ward-prowse is genuinely good at them if he's going at more than double that rate.

It's similar to corners - which people get excited about - but actually only result in a goal something like 3% of the time.

If our players are below average at these skills then it's no surprise we don't get many.

.... "people get excited about" ?  Ok, interesting. What instead might they save their "excitement" for?

6 hours ago, David Brent said:

So we’ve gone from 1 in 8 years to about 5 since..pretty standard and average I guess. 

Would love a proper set piece expert though. Not sure how many he scored but loved watching a Micky Bell free kick. 

Probably the best in my many years of following City, one of those players you almost expected to score when he lined up a free-kick

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

.... "people get excited about" ?  Ok, interesting. What instead might they save their "excitement" for?

I'm not the gatekeeper of anyone's emotions but I'll take this as a serious question.

I have no issue with people getting excited for a corner or a free kick. If they're excited about potentially seeing a goal then that's fair. Potentially witnessing a relatively rare event is a common reason for excitement.

But if they're excited about a corner or free kick because they expect a goal then I'd say it's misplaced. Save that type of emotion for a penalty.

So it's a question of the basis for the excitement - possibility or expectation - rather than the actual emotions itself.

9 hours ago, David Brent said:

So we’ve gone from 1 in 8 years to about 5 since..pretty standard and average I guess. 

Would love a proper set piece expert though. Not sure how many he scored but loved watching a Micky Bell free kick

I'd love to know what percentage of free kicks Mickey Bell score. Every time he stepped up, it felt like we had a high percentage of scoring.

17 hours ago, bearded_red said:

Could be wrong, but think the last one is Paterson against Hull behind closed doors, think he scored one against Derby a couple of seasons before as well.

I don’t know what the average would be for average championship teams, so don’t know if we’re noticeably poor at them or not. For example, when did we last concede from one? And how many would we usually concede in any season?

I could be wrong, but my belief based on next to nothing is that like scoring from corners it’s something that most fans of most teams are always bemoaning how bad they are unless they are outstandingly good.

I remember that one, he did very well to get it up and over the doors.