IGNORED

When did we last score from a free kick

When we get a free kick on the edge of the box it should create some excitement but at the moment we seem to get better results from corners.

With such a "modern" coaching team I am surprised that we approach these kicks like a pub team. 3 or 4 players have a little chat, one wins the argument and the others move away and 15 seconds later its into the wall or over the bar.

Surely we have at least 1 player who can hit a ball well enough to at least test the keeper. Our corners and wide free kicks seem to centre on finding Dickie who is most of the time engaged in a grabbing competition worthy of Twickenham.

I can't remember anything that looks vaguely like "something from the training ground."

We are not a tall team so surely we need to be clever in these situations.

2 minutes ago, Clutton Caveman said:

I can't remember anything that looks vaguely like "something from the training ground."

Keep up - we haven’t had any sessions on the training ground because of the relentless and not at all out of the ordinary schedule.

(FWIW I’d call corners something from the training ground and we have scored a few of those. Conversion rates from free kicks/set pieces you’d hope should also improve with Twine)

Two observations;

We might not be a tall side but Rob Dickie is definitely our best CB threat at corners since Aden Flint, fair play to him.

After Saturday’s effort I’d rather let Max O’Leary have a shot at goal than let Nahki anywhere near another free kick.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Keep up - we haven’t had any sessions on the training ground because of the relentless and not at all out of the ordinary schedule.

(FWIW I’d call corners something from the training ground and we have scored a few of those. Conversion rates from free kicks/set pieces you’d hope should also improve with Twine)

Come on now Silvio - you can’t use everything as a stick to beat Manning 🤣

To the main point, our lack of goals from free kicks is something I’ve mentioned many times going back many seasons. 
This isn’t just a recent (Manning) phenomenon. Pretty sure our last one was Tomlin at Fulham!! 

But yes, Twine should definitely give us hope in this area. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Two observations;

We might not be a tall side but Rob Dickie is definitely our best CB threat at corners since Aden Flint, fair play to him.

After Saturday’s effort I’d rather let Max O’Leary have a shot at goal than let Nahki anywhere near another free kick.

I’d love to see Dickie and Atkinson attacking a Twine dead ball.

Probably never see that though 🙄

Edited by Back of the Dolman

1 minute ago, Harry said:

Come on now Silvio - you can’t use everything as a stick to beat Manning 🤣

To the main point, our lack of goals from free kicks is something I’ve mentioned many times going back many seasons. 
This isn’t just a recent (Manning) phenomenon. Pretty sure our last one was Tomlin at Fulham!! 

But yes, Twine should definitely give us hope in this area. 

I think you saw my tongue firmly in my cheek on that one mate 😂😂

I do think we have lacked inventiveness on free kicks for years - going back I think LJ was reasonable at it but we’re a long way from the days of Mickey Bell. Wells’ free kick on Saturday probably focussed the mind of several. Fair to say heart sank when he stepped up as I don’t think I’ve ever seen him hit one well - I’d have probably rather Mehmeti (or even a thunderbastard from Dickie) in that position but it was extremely slim pickings

1 minute ago, italian dave said:

Didn’t we get one or two early in Naismith’s time?

Or am I just dreaming? 

Blackpool away? A really inventive low free kick finished close in?

• Flames 1

1 minute ago, A Horse With No Name said:

on a similar note, did anyone else notice the weird wall set up by QPR, for Nahki's free kick, which is still travelling incidentally. It was so far off center, it literally gave him the whole goal to aim at, although I suppose the keeper wasn't unsighted. Just looked strange.

They also didn’t have the now obligatory player lying horizontally on the ground.

Although perhaps they knew the likely trajectory of their former player’s effort. 

Could be wrong, but think the last one is Paterson against Hull behind closed doors, think he scored one against Derby a couple of seasons before as well.

I don’t know what the average would be for average championship teams, so don’t know if we’re noticeably poor at them or not. For example, when did we last concede from one? And how many would we usually concede in any season?

I could be wrong, but my belief based on next to nothing is that like scoring from corners it’s something that most fans of most teams are always bemoaning how bad they are unless they are outstandingly good.

• Like 1
  • Robin 1

35 minutes ago, Clutton Caveman said:

When we get a free kick on the edge of the box it should create some excitement but at the moment we seem to get better results from corners.

With such a "modern" coaching team I am surprised that we approach these kicks like a pub team. 3 or 4 players have a little chat, one wins the argument and the others move away and 15 seconds later its into the wall or over the bar.

Surely we have at least 1 player who can hit a ball well enough to at least test the keeper. Our corners and wide free kicks seem to centre on finding Dickie who is most of the time engaged in a grabbing competition worthy of Twickenham.

We are not a tall team so surely we need to be clever in these situations.

Tomlin away at Fulham!!! The rest is history.

2 minutes ago, bearded_red said:

Could be wrong, but think the last one is Paterson against Hull behind closed doors, think he scored one against Derby a couple of seasons before as well.

I don’t know what the average would be for average championship teams, so don’t know if we’re noticeably poor at them or not. For example, when did we last concede from one? And how many would we usually concede in any season?

I could be wrong, but my belief based on next to nothing is that like scoring from corners it’s something that most fans of most teams are always bemoaning how bad they are unless they are outstandingly good.

Paterson certainly had his critics on here but you’re right, he scored a couple of crackers in the pandemic & was a very clever, technical player decent with both feet.

TGH came with this reputation (seemingly based on a single goal at West Brom) but I’ve seen absolutely no evidence of it at all, his goal at home to Boro was excellent but that was in open play.

Re scoring from corners my belief is thanks to Rob Dickie we’re probably about average.

16 minutes ago, Harry said:

Forgot about that one. 
Tomlin was March 2016 I think. 
So, with Brownhill’s we’re now at 1 in 8 years. Awesome 

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/video/goals-patos-stunning-freekick-gives-city-the-win-bristol-city-21-hull-city/

Paterson in 2020 apparently.

So maybe up to one every two years if we can find one from 2022 as well.

44 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Two observations;

Haha, that free kick was hilarious, he should stick to trying to be a “bagsman” in the 18 yard box cause that was pathetic 

• Like 1

Marlon Pack scored one against Birmingham in a 3-1 home win in April 2018. I also think he scored with a free kick against Port Vale although this would have been pre-Tomlin. I am pretty sure that the Birmingham game was the one when Fammy got done for spitting.   Love the BP headline!

'Marlon Pack more like Lionel Messi' - fans heaps praise on Bristol City players - Bristol Live (bristolpost.co.uk)

• Robin 1

29 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/video/goals-patos-stunning-freekick-gives-city-the-win-bristol-city-21-hull-city/

Paterson in 2020 apparently.

So maybe up to one every two years if we can find one from 2022 as well.

Woo-hoo. Now we’re cooking 🤣

19 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Didn't Joe Williams have a bit of a dead ball reputation, TBF I thought the corners were better Saturday. 
I'd ban Nahki and give TGH, Twine or even Pring ahead of Wells.

If Twine is on the pitch and either TGH or anyone else goes anywhere near a free kick, I’m going to be immediately leaving the ground in absolute and painful disgust, and not returning until I receive a personal apology from the King. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, RedRaw said:

Wells has taken the ball when we’ve had an edge of area free kick on numerous occasions over past few years……yet to see him hit the target let alone score. 

Agree, although he did score in the FA Cup with a deflected free kick past…..Frank Fielding, who brought down Diedhiou for a pen in the same game.  I’m not sure we can count it! 🤣🤣🤣

24 minutes ago, GlastonburyRed said:

I remember Paul Hartley arrowing one in at The Hawthorns, might have been then tbh.

Seeing as at least 3 are quoted in this thread that were far more recent, it wasn’t.

2 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

on a similar note, did anyone else notice the weird wall set up by QPR, for Nahki's free kick, which is still travelling incidentally. It was so far off center, it literally gave him the whole goal to aim at, although I suppose the keeper wasn't unsighted. Just looked strange.

Yes, I thought it was an optical illusion from the South St! Luckily, Nahki saw through their ruse to tempt him to go for the far side of the goal (opting instead for the far side of the moon!).

Edited by TDarwall
  • Like 1