IGNORED

Funny nicknames

Marvin

1 hour ago, Sniper said:

I've heard some good ones over the years!

A guy whose nickname was KitKat as if only had 4 fingers.

Another with one leg shorter than the others was called Foot Pump

A guy who was called Thrush as he was an irritating c u next tuesday

The bloke i knew with 4 fingers was known as 80 pence

53 minutes ago, Marvin said:

We nicknamed a boring bloke at work "Bomb scare", because as soon as he joined a group everyone would scarper in different directions.

The other one I know is a chap who worked on the oil rigs. This is probably something we shouldn't be laughing at in more enlightened times but..... Apparently he had found out his wife was having an affair and was planning on leaving him. After a few drinks he had decided to end it all by jumping off the rig with his bag of tools tied around his neck to take him under quickly.

Luckily, one of the crew found him in time, dragged him down from the rails and talked some sense into him.

For years after he was known as tank top", because he was an "incomplete jumper".. :disapointed2se: :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 12
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, Sniper said:

I knew a girl with the same problem.  Her name was Eileen.

Also had a friend in Oz who was a Policeman. His nickname was SCUD because if he was having a bad time it was going to be "Some C***s Unlucky Day"

Edited by BigTone
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Facepalm 1

3 hours ago, Sniper said:

I've heard some good ones over the years!

A guy whose nickname was KitKat as if only had 4 fingers.

A guy who was called Thrush as he was an irritating c u next tuesday

I’ve got a mate who is referred to as Sexy Fingers…… as everything he touches he f  ks up!

Edited by cider hoss rules
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Bazooka Joe said:

Yeah, I remember and knew some from them long gone days.

Blackjack, Jiffy, Angus, Larry the Limp, Paddy Walsh, The Pascoes, John Feeney, Chris Saunders, Heavy Duty, Moussah, and Boner spring to mind.

Blackjack and Moussah had brothers who were well-known.

Some of those that followed City in those days, were bitter enemies “off the pitch”, who put their differences aside temporarily on match days.

You're forgetting Beaney,the Wescotts,Ray Harding,Rob Barry,Jeff Eades,Dave Elvins Mike Oads etc,etc.A coach load of nutters.Me or Angus would hire a Turners coach to leave the city centre at some strange hour of the morning after a night in the stage door.Them days were fun.

8 minutes ago, BobbyC said:

You're forgetting Beaney,the Wescotts,Ray Harding,Rob Barry,Jeff Eades,Dave Elvins Mike Oads etc,etc.A coach load of nutters.Me or Angus would hire a Turners coach to leave the city centre at some strange hour of the morning after a night in the stage door.Them days were fun.

I remember Western Roadways .

4 hours ago, cider hoss rules said:

I’ve got a mate who is referred to as Sexy Fingers…… as everything he touches he f  ks up!

i nicknamed our last trainee mechanic amoco cadiz because he kept forgetting to put sump bungs back in before refilling the engines with oil.

he didnt have a clue what it meant

• Like 1

Worked with an engineer years ago with an abnormally long head, nicknamed 'Tefal'.

He wasn't the best engineer so, when the company asked us to set up our own individual businesses and go sub contract, he called his 'Deja vu ltd' as he always had to go back. Strange looking fella but a good laugh!

Edited by Ska Junkie
  • Haha 3

19 hours ago, BobbyC said:

Forgot these and a fair few others, I'm sure.

Didn't know them all by name/nickname.

Friends have asked me what about . . . . Elmer F, the Polaks, the Stephens family, Shamrock, the Belleras, Big Arfur, Flannagan and Martin (House That Jack Built)?

The problem when you mention a name or names, is that you unintentionally exclude those who think they (as do others) deserve a mention. Some rightly so.

Rob Barry and mates were from Hartcliffe/Withywood if I'm not mistaken.

I once saw Rob have a massive brawl with Dave BWZ, a tough character from Long Ashton, on the City Centre.

One of the hardest and scariest City-mad characters I met in the early 70s, was an Irish brute in his early forties who we called "Crazy Sullivan".  He was a trench-digger who drank heavily and lodged at a house on Coronation Road, close to Allington Road. He was not affiliated to any group, but just came to games when he felt like it.

During games he usually stood in the Grandstand, his big voice booming out obscenities (unchallenged, of course) at visiting fans. Outside the ground, he'd be everywhere spoiling for a fight.

No matter what the weather, he would stomp around (usually half-sozzled) wearing an open, baggy shirt, hanging over his trousers, with his big, hairy barrel-chest on display, shouting out stuff like  "CITTYYYY . . . CITTYYYY . . .  who wants to try their luck?"

He got arrested for "greeting" Man U fans at Temple Meads and giving them his personal, hostile reception.

When he got sent down, we saw his real name and realised it had absolutely no connection or relevance to the name "Sullivan."

Some of the old guard on here may remember him, One of my brothers reckons "Sullivan" looked like a big, but uglier version of Steve Logan, the wrestler, with his greasy black unkempt hair. I don't quite see that, but maybe it's the closest way of describing him.

When I go down to Ashton Gate now, it's a very, very different place and experience.

Edited by Bazooka Joe