IGNORED

Why hasn’t Manning been sacked?

Redland

5 minutes ago, Gaseater said:

He has a track record of this behaviour - same reason he got binned by Derby.

And what reason was that?

So what happened at Leicester hmmm did he achieve anything there at all. 

I’m not denying he was a hard nut, but I think he’s a straight talker something many nowadays are afraid of. I know which character I prefer. 

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, GBF said:

No point in getting rid of Manning now but we should start looking for a replacement to come in May/June. Big problem is Board not Manager  No confidence they will make a good appointment. It’s a frustrating horrible cycle. 

It would make perfect sense to remove now. Giving the manager time to work with the squad now, see the gaps and work with the club to strengthen in the summer.

Its all a pointless debate however as Manning will go nowhere.

1 minute ago, JP Hampton said:

I blame the board they’ve done LM a huge disservice by “bigging up” his potential and his being just what we needed. If LM stayed put he would possibly have evolved into a good manager once he’d gained some real experience. 

This is a good point. From the start, we’ve been force fed that Liam is a great coach and “ours” - the tweets early on of “Liam Mannings Cider Army” and the embarrassing “a word from the gaffer” pieces when the quotes are chat GPT nonsense did him no favours. He was appointed in contentious circumstances and we were told “ain’t he great” from the start. It was misjudged and did him no favours.

It isn’t why he’s failing. But Bristol Sport need to take a serious look at themselves as they didn’t help him in any way.

• Like 5
  • Flames 1

4 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

This is a good point. From the start, we’ve been force fed that Liam is a great coach and “ours” - the tweets early on of “Liam Mannings Cider Army” and the embarrassing “a word from the gaffer” pieces when the quotes are chat GPT nonsense did him no favours. He was appointed in contentious circumstances and we were told “ain’t he great” from the start. It was misjudged and did him no favours.

It isn’t why he’s failing. But Bristol Sport need to take a serious look at themselves as they didn’t help him in any way.

Yes, I do have sympathy with him. You can’t blame him for taking the opportunity. I’m not sure he can’t turn it around but how long that would take is the question. 

Dare I say, the players do look like they’ve lost some of that killer instinct, that they were finally getting at the end of NPs time here. 

3 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Sorry to be boring but it’s exactly what I mean when I say the culture of the club is rotten to the core. When you lie, the lies just continue to pile up and they distort everything. Firing Pearson was not a football decision, it was personal. But because JL did not have the balls to tell the truth, we got all the top 6 squad and Manning is great stuff to cover the real reason. That has set the new manager up to fail and even put pressure on the squad who are perceived to be ‘failing’ because they are not that standard. 
The situation does not change for me until JL steps down. He created this mess personally, and should have the guts to take responsibility. 

• Like 2

I’d normally say give it to the end of the season but on the evidence of the last two games he isn’t going to make it that far. 

Weve just lost back to back against clubs on the relegation zone. That is unacceptable and alarming from any manager. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, The Coach said:

Cardiff at home next who picked up 3 points today. Lose that game and it’s going to be even more horrific than tonight. Not sure what leg Manning then has to stand on.

He needs to get something from that game big time to stop the ‘talk’ now - two abject performances which have  been utterly depressing.  Hopefully we get another Southampton type performance but that feels miles away atm. Fingers crossed though because if we lose next week it won’t be pretty!  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Redland said:

There is no way that this run of results would’ve been acceptable under Nigel Pearson. After all we are told we have a squad which should be in the top six and we are currently 12th and falling. Only nine points above the relegation places with two defeats in succession against bottom three sides. At this rate even if we avoid relegation this season I can see us being in a relegation battle next season, particularly if we lose the experience of James and Williams in midfield. It seems that there is one rule for NP and the another rule for the replacement.

We’ve been on worse form under Pearson, utterly ridiculous claim. This is Bristol City Football Club, not Nigel Pearson Football Club. The quicker people realise this, the sooner we can move on

Problem is if Manning goes who is going to want the job under a clearly dysfunctional board with no vision for the club? An experienced manager will look at the way Cotts and Pearson were treated and say no thanks, so we will be left with another mini Johnson or Manning. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Supersonic Robin said:

Just a point re sacking Manning.

He's on a 3.5 year contract. If we were to sack him in Summer, that would be a fairly sizable payout.

Obviously we can't let these things dictate the decision, but it would be one hell of a mess.

Mess is what the Lansdowns do the best.

6 minutes ago, Charlie BCFC said:

We’ve been on worse form under Pearson, utterly ridiculous claim. This is Bristol City Football Club, not Nigel Pearson Football Club. The quicker people realise this, the sooner we can move on

We were under worse form perhaps, at times we were under a massive FFP issue, injuries worse etc.

Can you pick some sample sizes LEAGUE ONLY.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Capman said:

Problem is if Manning goes who is going to want the job under a clearly dysfunctional board with no vision for the club? An experienced manager will look at the way Cotts and Pearson were treated and say no thanks, so we will be left with another mini Johnson or Manning. 

Dean holden

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Capman said:

The situation does not change for me until JL steps down. He created this mess personally, and should have the guts to take responsibility. 

True, but guess who was behind him encouraging and stirring the pot 🐍

Edited by Frenchay Red

1 hour ago, Supersonic Robin said:

Just a point re sacking Manning.

He's on a 3.5 year contract. If we were to sack him in Summer, that would be a fairly sizable payout.

Obviously we can't let these things dictate the decision, but it would be one hell of a mess.

There will be break clauses, performance clauses etc. 

It won't be a 3.5 year pay out. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, robinforlife2 said:

Also, be careful what you wish for.

If they thought we've made a mistake and sacked on Monday, you can bet your life Tinnion and Lansdown would bring back Lee Johnson until the end of the season, and we would probably win a few and they would give him a second crack at it. There's no chance they would go back for Pearson, or an old head on wise shoulders. If they give Manning the boot, they would bring back LJ or make Andy King player manager, so just be careful what you wish for. 

In all seriousness, they could do a lot worse than that. King has achieved more in his distinguished career than most of the squad put together. That alone would command respect, unlike Manning who experienced the peak of his playing career in two years at Leiston, whoever they are. 

Edited by tin
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

We were under worse form perhaps, at times we were under a massive FFP issue, injuries worse etc.

Can you pick some sample sizes LEAGUE ONLY.

Pearson in the 2020/2021 season lost 3 on the bounce and 4 on the bounce just in the first couple of months of him being in charge. Manning on the other hand won 3 league games on the bounce which Pearson never was able to achieve

• Facepalm 4

Just now, Charlie BCFC said:

Pearson in the 2020/2021 season lost 3 on the bounce and 4 on the bounce just in the first couple of months of him being in charge. Manning on the other hand won 3 league games on the bounce which Pearson never was able to achieve

Bit streaky, Manning?

NP inherited a shambles, so many players injured, morale on the floor, a quarter to a third of the squad out of contract. Etc.

1 hour ago, Fuber said:

If I was JL I'd sack Tinnion, get a proper CEO in - and get Horseman back into the club under Tinns former role ASAP.

Then make the overtures to get NP back. Olive branch etc.

If that fails - make him a consultant on all footballing decisions off the book going forward.

I don’t think Pearson would consider coming back in any circumstance - I’d be surprised if he managed again actually, seems content to relax.

There is 0 prospect of him being fired this season - that would mean the board would tacitly admit they were wrong - which they won’t do.

I think we’ll float about in lower mid table and, rightly or wrongly, Manning will be generously backed in the summer. They need this appointment to work so they’ll do whatever it takes. 

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I don’t think Pearson would consider coming back in any circumstance - I’d be surprised if he managed again actually, seems content to relax.

I think he would if Lansdown went. 

I jokingly said when Nige was sacked how it would be amazing if he completely replicated his Leicester days and came back after a change of board and got us to the Premier League. 

Highly unlikely of course but also the biggest **** you ever. 

6 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

There is 0 prospect of him being fired this season - that would mean the board would tacitly admit they were wrong - which they won’t do.

I think we’ll float about in lower mid table and, rightly or wrongly, Manning will be generously backed in the summer. They need this appointment to work so they’ll do whatever it takes. 

I do tend to agree with this.

Although PF by success, or appointment working what would this constitute?

Promotion by 2027- playoffs? Established top 6 contenders?

If we do go for it if course, unsuccessfully it will have been a failed appointment and we'll have to retrench horribly.. without any Covid amendments to help.

20 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

This summer is a hell of a risk if we don’t bring any experience in, which we more than likely won’t do. 

You could see the enormous void in leadership today without James. King at his grand old age was one of the very small positives when coming on. No chance either of them are here come August. 

Could very feasibly be looking at a constant starting 11 next season where O’Leary & Dickie are our eldest pros. 

Edited by petehinton
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

There will be break clauses, performance clauses etc. 

It won't be a 3.5 year pay out. 

He brought in an entire staff as well. Perhaps Jon can pay out of his own pocket instead of pinning the bill on the club and whats left of the Scott money