IGNORED

Apathy

TomThumb84

Anyone else?

I have followed the club a long while and have been ecstatic, passionate, heartbroken, hopeful, nervous, anxious and everything in-between.

Right now, I feel so disconnected I am genuinely numb to the same old same old, which is worse than any of the emotions above.

The club is just mediocre, boring, dull, beige. Sleepwalking around clinging on to FA Cup wins and draws against poor Premier league clubs.

The transfer window in Jan has to be the worst in living memory when you consider the reason for Manning coming in and our league position, in conjuction with the now infamous “Top 6” quotes - not to mention the endless and meaningless rhetoric/propaganda from the club which accompanies anything we do, which is grating beyond belief.

The pattern of half a step forward and one step back with a strange ray of hope result thrown in amongst the normal dross is also now too common to even care about.

Have a good evening everyone and heres to a 1-1 draw at Palace away in the 3rd round of the Cup next year and the ensuing euphoria around it as the real stuff that matters drifts away even further.

Edited by TomThumb84
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, TomThumb84 said:

The club is just mediocre, boring, dull, beige.

This is spot on.

In many ways Liam Manning, and the tedious dross his teams play, is the perfect manager for Bristol City. So soul destroyingly boring.

I’d actually much rather City made me angry, rather than just struggling to care because it’s so dull. 

Edited by bearded_red
  • Like 4

I've been following City for 40 years and there have been many low points in that time (far lower than the current situation).

The quality of football has been indifferent for about 6 years but we have established ourselves as a mid table Champ team and i think our match day experience is now one of the best in the league, which is backed up by many visiting supporters.

I'm as disappointed as the next fan when we lose, but considering we've achieved very little in over 100 years, i don't think our current league position is that bad.

I'll put my tin hat on!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, bearded_red said:

This is spot on.

In many ways Liam Manning, and the tedious dross his teams play, is the perfect manager for Bristol City. So soul destroyingly boring.

I’d actually much rather City made me angry, rather than just struggling to care because it’s so dull. 

Exactly. At least when angry, there is a passion, a seige mentality, something to focus on, as football should be.

We sort of now have the head coach we deserve.

A reliance on pointing at the academy from the top, with a "look forward to tomorrow" mentality - which means they can never be wrong as long as we are all content with tomorrow never arriving.

A fanbase split between what we should be focussing on and others content because "its a nice day out in a lovely stadium" and therefore the numbers through the gate are always ok - which is the only thing that will effect real change.

Just a nothing club currently - any sense of identity that was coming back has now never been more scrambled.

The thing for me is if I really was apathetic I’d be doing something else apart from posting on OTIB about a crap performance on a Saturday night about an hour and a half after the final whistle.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Flames 1

7 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

The thing for me is if I really was apathetic I’d be doing something else apart from posting on OTIB about a crap performance on a Saturday night about an hour and a half after the final whistle.

Maybe I am annoyed enough at being apathetic to post this thread.

I've not been to a game since early Jan, I'm a happier person for it,

I'm so disillusioned, I most likely will not renew, I've been going since the late 80's I've seen good and bad times,

This is just meh now,

And that's not just city, its football in general,

• Like 5

I can’t face travelling to away matches anymore as the amount of dull motorway travel isn’t justified by the performances. It’s also possible to watch every away match on numerous sites but I’ve given up on that as well. Going to every home match is more than enough suffering. I’ve almost given up on OTIB posting as I can’t think of anything positive to say. As you get older “the good old days” seem  to be much better as you tend to only remember the good bits. Unfortunately, now the good bits are few and far between 

• Like 5

47 minutes ago, TomThumb84 said:

Anyone else?

I have followed the club a long while and have been ecstatic, passionate, heartbroken, hopeful, nervous, anxious and everything in-between.

Right now, I feel so disconnected I am genuinely numb to the same old same old, which is worse than any of the emotions above.

The club is just mediocre, boring, dull, beige. Sleepwalking around clinging on to FA Cup wins and draws against poor Premier league clubs.

The transfer window in Jan has to be the worst in living memory when you consider the reason for Manning coming in and our league position, in conjuction with the now infamous “Top 6” quotes - not to mention the endless and meaningless rhetoric/propaganda from the club which accompanies anything we do, which is grating beyond belief.

The pattern of half a step forward and one step back with a strange ray of hope result thrown in amongst the normal dross is also now too common to even care about.

Have a good evening everyone and heres to a 1-1 draw at Palace away in the 3rd round of the Cup next year and the ensuing euphoria around it as the real stuff that matters drifts away even further.

74 years support and I feel exactly the same. I know it's often said that no renewal of ST but that is how I feel and I never thought I would ever say that.

Manning is not a football team manager!

Edited by cidered abroad

44 minutes ago, TomThumb84 said:

Anyone else?

10 days ago we were beating a team which seemed unbeatable at the time and now a couple of poor results and this is what we see on this forum? Reality is that we have rarely been above where we are in the league at this moment of time, I have optimism personally that we are set up well for the future but at the moment we don’t have the consistency to be in the conversation for playoffs this season. This is nowhere near the worst I’ve seen the club and I’m far from disconnected personally

31 minutes ago, Edgy Red said:

I've been following City for 40 years and there have been many low points in that time (far lower than the current situation).

The quality of football has been indifferent for about 6 years but we have established ourselves as a mid table Champ team and i think our match day experience is now one of the best in the league, which is backed up by many visiting supporters.

I'm as disappointed as the next fan when we lose, but considering we've achieved very little in over 100 years, i don't think our current league position is that bad.

I'll put my tin hat on!

Well they would say that, leaving with 3 points!

I feel pretty angry because I felt that we were beginning to leave the beige, bland, soft Bristol City behind under NP. But we're back to bland again.

I'm angry because it feels like we've thrown what we were building away.

I'm angry because we've been total suckers for this ridiculous fad of employing boring, monotonous coaches who bamboozle their players with meaningless gibberish about box entries and behaviours on the grass, but can't get them fired up for a league game. We don't look like we know what we're doing.

It is bland and beige, but it feels worse than that because whatever we were under Nige, we weren't bland and beige. (Of course it wasn't free flowing, of course there were some poor performances especially early on. But at least when it was bad, he would call a spade a spade. We've been told today was a "great learning experience". What have we learned that we didn't learn at home to Millwall? Or Birmingham? Or QPR?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Charlie BCFC said:

10 days ago we were beating a team which seemed unbeatable at the time and now a couple of poor results and this is what we see on this forum? Reality is that we have rarely been above where we are in the league at this moment of time, I have optimism personally that we are set up well for the future but at the moment we don’t have the consistency to be in the conversation for playoffs this season. This is nowhere near the worst I’ve seen the club and I’m far from disconnected personally

Im pleased for you.

Southampton were taken all the way by Huddersfield, and we were at our very best. Way above our levels and they were way below. They were hardly “unbeatable”.

Nothing against you but your optimism and benchmarks sum up where we are, and kind of proves my point.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, TomThumb84 said:

Im pleased for you.

Southampton were taken all the way by Huddersfield, and we were at our very best. Way above our levels and they were way below. They were hardly “unbeatable”.

Nothing against you but your optimism and benchmarks sum up where we are, and kind of proves my point.

Southampton came back and beat Huddersfield and their mentality was sky high, the loss against us knocked their confidence and now they’re struggling. Each to their own but Manning has only had a few months and not had a chance to put his authority on this team but still has picked up some great results and for me deserves a full pre season. I’m not happy with the last two results but if this is what has made you disconnect from the club then you must not have supported us for very long

• Like 1

Just now, Charlie BCFC said:

Southampton came back and beat Huddersfield and their mentality was sky high, the loss against us knocked their confidence and now they’re struggling. Each to their own but Manning has only had a few months and not had a chance to put his authority on this team but still has picked up some great results and for me deserves a full pre season. I’m not happy with the last two results but if this is what has made you disconnect from the club then you must not have supported us for very long

Ok mate.

Its the opposite which is evident in my post - and you are the probably more the kind of profile of a fan that the club wants right now, again, proving my point.

No disrespect intended by the way as you are clearly a big City fan, so you are alright by me.