IGNORED

Liam Post Match

Silvio Dante

47 minutes ago, M.D said:

Bristol born but have lived in Brighton for a long time, so I know a lot about my club and Brighton.

Tony Bloom took over Brighton at a time you could say City was ahead of them in the football pecking order.

The difference between Tony Bloom and Steve Lansdown is very simple.

Bloom, a rich man and good business man took over his club and knew he was not experienced in running a football club, so what did he do?

He employed the best people he could get to run the football side of Brighton while he took care of the business side of the club.

He got the best people in he could and listened to them in an area he was lacking in to help his club progress.

Look at the stark reality of where City and Brighton are now, both similar sized clubs and history, one a Prem established club in Europe and the other repeating the same mistakes and what I think will end again in relegation to league one.

Manning is not for me but the issues are so much wider, it's breaking my heart, again.

TBH I wouldn’t let the Lansdowns run the “business” side of the club either.

Comms are rubbish.

Kit is rubbish.

Almost breached FFP

They aren’t fit to run a football club. The sooner those nepotistic, egotistic, goons are gone the better.

• Like 7
  • Flames 2

6 hours ago, 2015 said:

I have felt this way for quite a while. Something about the club has changed ever since LJ was in charge. A cosy club, a nice club. I don't like it.

There is a feeling for me that within the club the board and the owners are very pleased with themselves about the facilities we have (High Performance Centre is a clue) and the fact we have sold academy players to PL clubs. They're delusional.

Not only that, we have been largely boring to watch for years really and I could count at least 30 matches in the last 6 years that have been pathetic, but nothing changes. The appointment of Dean Holden was pathetic and the sacking of Nigel Pearson pretty short sighted.

Even the new badge doesn't feel very Bristol City to me. 

You can bleat on about 2 good results from 1974 and 1994, but this just proves how very little this club has achieved. 

I think the fans of this club genuinely have the thickest skin out of any in England for how little we have to shout about for its size.

I find it kind of sad,that we are making so much of a match that was 50 years ago, are we that desperate? That and the Liverpool game, how sad are we?

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Big Cheese said:

I find it kind of sad,that we are making so much of a match that was 50 years ago, are we that desperate? That and the Liverpool game, how sad are we?

Very sad in my eyes. However one good thing the club has done in recent years is recognise the former players as one thing the fans of this club do love is its former players no matter how unsuccessful we've been.

Never known a club so desperate for any kind of success and crying out for it really. 

13 hours ago, Red Army 75 said:

Bored of this bloke. And bored of this club currently.  Brian ******* Tinnion and Jon Lansdown so far out of your depth 

Years ago when we lost, it would totally ruin my week. Now I wince for about 30 milliseconds, then get on with something more important.

If the shower of shite "running" this club couldn't give a toss, then why the **** should I?

• Like 4

I accepted long ago that we'll finish our ninth successive Championship season with yet another mediocre mid- to lower-table finish.

Most of our players are average to slightly below-average second tier performers. We now have a manager unused to this division and on a steep learning curve (hopefully!)

The loss of Atkinson and Naismith is more critical than many realise, plus Twine getting crocked scuppered many of Manning's post-January plans no doubt.

What makes me roll my eyes a bit is that after the Southampton game the tone on this board was that Liam was the Second Coming, whereas after two shite results he's apparently stealing a living.

City have a long history of recording disappointing losses to sides you'd hitherto think we were "entitled" to take three points off of, and of course, it's always now, in the final third of the season, that clubs in danger of relegation are at their most dangerous. They are fighting for their lives. Their players are fighting to keep their Championship-level wages.

None of this meant the Lansdowns made a very wise decision when replacing Pearson with Liam Manning and, of course, they have form for snatching defeat from the jaws of possible victory. The club's not very well run. That's been an ongoing issue and even predates them.

I'm sort of focused on what happens over the summer and next season, and maybe enjoying the odd good game among the bleurgh ones.

I guess what my post says is this is yet another season I've already written off. I just hope LM is intelligent enough to learn from his mistakes - which are manifold - and start to put out a team that can achieve the sort of game plan he talks about. As others have said, he needs more flexibility, to be more reactive to what he's seeing in front of him, and - I guess - to inspire more.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Just noticed that he didn't mention the travelling support.

The very least I want to hear from a manager is "over a thousand fans have travelled all this way and they deserve better" but he doesn't see football that way. 

Noticed it before. He only mentions the fans when he is asked a question about the fans. 

I know it's a small matter in the grand scheme of things but the fist pumps  Mannings copied from Klopp on the rare times we win are imo, well, Klopps celebration. Why not come up with something original like doing a full twisting triple pike in front of our fans to celebrate a win. (Or perhaps make him do it when we lose)....

• Flames 1

4 minutes ago, Zip Nolan said:

I know it's a small matter in the grand scheme of things but the fist pumps  Mannings copied from Klopp on the rare times we win are imo, well, Klopps celebration. Why not come up with something original like doing a full twisting triple pike in front of our fans to celebrate a win. (Or perhaps make him do it when we lose)....

The fist pump thing I think looks like an awkward bloke trying to make a connection. It’s like when you have a manager in work trying to enforce “fun” - it looks unnatural because it is. 

The real Liam was seen in his “I’ll ****ing bounce when we win something” - he’s not enamoured with a single win to go mental fist pumping, he’s doing it because it’s the done thing - he wants to actually celebrate when a meaningful job is done (and the club should have left that clip up as it humanised him).

It’s regrettably another example of following the big book of how to be a football manager.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

21 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

The fist pump thing I think looks like an awkward bloke trying to make a connection. It’s like when you have a manager in work trying to enforce “fun” - it looks unnatural because it is. 

The real Liam was seen in his “I’ll ****ing bounce when we win something” - he’s not enamoured with a single win to go mental fist pumping, he’s doing it because it’s the done thing - he wants to actually celebrate when a meaningful job is done (and the club should have left that clip up as it humanised him).

It’s regrettably another example of following the big book of how to be a football manager.

Sounds like trying to damn the bloke for doing something that's perfectly ordinary for people to do when they've enjoyed something successful.  I'm sure I've seen Pearson do the odd restrained fist pump when we pulled off an unlikely win. I did one when my horse won at Wincanton last weekend. 

I'm actually a bit sorry for Manning because people are so hacked off with the last two games we're seeing criticism of stuff like his accent, hairline and now one of his chosen means of celebrating a goal (he also raises his arms to celebrate sometimes - like we all do). 

30 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

It's pretty sad that a small section of our fanbase like Manager's based on fist pumping towards them. 

If that's your style then fine but I dont think it is Manning's style to do that, it's just appeasing some of our low IQ supporters on X.

2 minutes ago, 2015 said:

It's pretty sad that a small section of our fanbase like Manager's based on fist pumping towards them. 

If that's your style then fine but I dont think it is Manning's style to do that, it's just appeasing some of our low IQ supporters on X.

Totally agree , it’s clearly not ‘him’ and he clearly does so or started to do so because the fans wanted him to do it

Always looks a bit awkward and to some degree he’s damned if he does , damned if he doesn’t 

Not something to over scrutinise or criticise him for IMO

My advice to him would be , be himself , and if that means a quick thumb up and disappearing down the tunnel then so be it

Bottom line is If he gets results on the pitch he can do whatever he wants post match and will be popular

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Totally agree , it’s clearly not ‘him’ and he clearly does so or started to do so because the fans wanted him to do it

Always looks a bit awkward and to some degree he’s damned if he does , damned if he doesn’t 

Not something to over scrutinise or criticise him for IMO

My advice to him would be , be himself , and if that means a quick thumb up and disappearing down the tunnel then so be it

Bottom line is If he gets results on the pitch he can do whatever he wants post match and will be popular

Certainly isn't a criticism of him. It's what a small number of our fans consider to be a 'good' manager

2 hours ago, M.D said:

Bristol born but have lived in Brighton for a long time, so I know a lot about my club and Brighton.

Tony Bloom took over Brighton at a time you could say City was ahead of them in the football pecking order.

Bloom, a rich man and good business man took over his club and knew he was not experienced in running a football club, so what did he do?

He employed the best people he could get to run the football side of Brighton while he took care of the business side of the club.

He got the best people in he could and listened to them in an area he was lacking in to help his club progress.

Look at the stark reality of where City and Brighton are now, both similar sized clubs and history, one a Prem established club in Europe and the other repeating the same mistakes and what I think will end again in relegation to league one.

Manning is not for me but the issues are so much wider, it's breaking my heart, again.

Great post.  That’s the depressing thing we have seen this all before under the Lansdown’s over the last 20 years or so.

Edited by The Wild Bunch
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, 2015 said:

Certainly isn't a criticism of him. It's what a small number of our fans consider to be a 'good' manager

No sorry , I wasn’t suggesting you were criticising him , but making the point about what the fans consider

Hes been criticised about fist pumps and that’s what I was referring too

12 hours ago, Gaseater said:

I think he is now at the point where the current squad are struggling to implement what he wants - he needs to be backed with players who can.

What, like we did with LJ?  Look where we ended up with that experiment.

We won’t get Nige bailing us out of the mess that would create for a second time though!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, M.D said:

People confuse SL’s success as a businessman in a completely unrelated field as a foundation to run a football club.

Even with finances he’s not managed it properly, has he?! FFP anyone? And the biggest elephant in the room, he wants to sell, but he’s built something he can’t sell! That wasn’t very good planning was it Steve….it’s like the old man who spends £250k over the market value doing up their bungalow and want it back when they sell, sorry it’s still a bungalow.

SL continues to run the club like it’s a small business, he wants to be over every decision, every invoice, every meeting - he now does it through his son and lackey “see you in the prem” Tinnion - with no doubt weekly if not daily phone calls.

20 years counting and it hasn’t worked, will it ever change? Doesn’t look like it.

As time goes on you get more of this concerning dictator feeling/behaviour setting in too - an ever smaller group of people in “power”, a delusional sense of entitlement “this is my club” and the world (City fans) are against them.

In fact the appointment of Tinnion is perfect because he was always likely to ‘fail’ as he’s completely unqualified and inexperienced - so now he gets flack from us and the Lansdowns can put their arm over his shoulder and say look how mean those horrible city fans are - and they can all continue living in their detached from reality world to excuse their continued lack of progress…everyone else’s fault but theirs.

OK artistic license on last paragraph - but the rest stands - until they relinquish control of the day to day to 2 or 3 top top talented directors and coaches, we’re treading water at best and the losses will continue to mount.

Edited by Alessandro
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Flames 4

15 hours ago, spudski said:

LMs appointment suits JL and BT. 

JL isn't going to feel intimidated by him and Tins knows with his age and experience can manipulate and control him to his advantage. 

Tins knows he's landed in leprechaun shit...good academy manager...but now he has way too much influence. Not justified or qualified. But it suits JL as he is a 'mate' learning on the job.

LM comes across on the coaching pitch as ' one of the lads'. Slapping backs and hugs...he doesn't hold any presence or 'I'm the boss their will be consequences ' etc attitude. 

Most of the players have achieved more than him, and played under managers and coaches better than him, and some that have won the Prem. 

They will have heard it all from better coaches. 

And they are expected to respect him and his ideas. A nobody...employed by nobodies that got given a job by their billionaire dad and another that lives off scoring a winner against a crap Liverpool in the Cup. 

Says it all really. 

So miss having the presence of NP here. 

Run by cowards. 

I've just watched the post match interview and his body language shows him as a completely negative person. Looking down as he answers, mumbling rather than talking clearly. Not one positive reply, or comment along the lines of "poor today but we'll pick them up by next Saturday for a local derby".

And totally agree with your comment about being one of the lads. I remember as a seven year old, reading that the Wolves manager Stan Cullis only worked withe the players on a Friday. So asking my Dad why, he said that the trainer, the only coach on the books, worked with players all the week to get them fit and ready for the match, but that Cullis spoke on a Friday to wind them up to play like hell in the match. 

4 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

People confuse SL’s success as a businessman in a completely unrelated field as a foundation to run a football club.

Even with finances he’s not managed it properly, has he?! FFP anyone? And the biggest elephant in the room, he wants to sell, but he’s built something he can’t sell! That wasn’t very good planning was it Steve….it’s like the old man who spends £250k over the market value doing up their bungalow and want it back when they sell, sorry it’s still a bungalow.

SL continues to run the club like it’s a small business, he wants to be over every decision, every invoice, every meeting - he now does it through his son and unqualified lackey Tinnion - with no doubt weekly if not daily phone calls.

20 years counting and it hasn’t worked, will it ever change? Doesn’t look like it.

As time goes on you get more of this concerning dictator feeling/behaviour setting in too - an ever smaller group of people in “power”, a delusional sense of entitlement “this is my club” and the world (City fans) are against them.

In fact the appointment of Tinnion is perfect because he was always likely to ‘fail’ as he’s completely unqualified and inexperienced - so now he gets flack from us and the Lansdowns can put their arm over his shoulder and say look how mean those horrible city fans are - and they can all continue living in their detached from reality world to excuse their continued lack of progress…everyone else’s fault but theirs.

OK artistic license on last paragraph - but the rest stands - until they relinquish control of the day to day to 2 or 3 top top talented directors and coaches, we’re treading water at best and the losses will continue to mount.

Not just a bungalow, a detached bungalow. All very beige indeed. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, M.D said:

Brilliant post👍.  
SL could have saved himself an absolute fortune if he could have just reined in his ego and employed people who knew far more than him about running a football club successfully.

The biggest problem is, the £millions Lansdown has pissed up the wall isn’t really his loss, it’s now debt against this football club.

• Like 5
  • Flames 2

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

I think Liam just doesn't have the ability to naturally connect with the fans due to him being emotionless. 

He's been on the training pitch for so long he's been institutionalised in a way I think. 

He doesn't see football as for the fans. He doesn't get the whole culture etc. He's not made any real effort to connect with our fans. 

He only mentions the fans when he is forced too. 

Yea we are being critical but I think being able to connect with the fans as a vital ingredient. Maybe at smaller clubs Oxford and MK it wasn't. But at a club with passionate supporters it certainly is. 

Pep and Klopp connect brilliantly with the fans because they understood the part fans have to play in things. Manning simply doesn't. 

• Like 3

Watched the interview this morning and looks very much like he knows it's not working and is trying to distance himself from the problems at the club trying to protect his reputation as a bright young coach so he can get that next job, 

He knows it's going badly and if it keeps heading the way it is he knows he's never going to get a chance at a club our side again so he's trying to set a narrative that he's being let down by players he didn't bring in so that when he dose get the sack he can say he did all he could but everything at the club was against him,

That really was an interview of a man who's just thinking about his next job and trying to make sure it's a good one, 

• Like 2

Every manager seems to fist pump these days. All very cringe. 

As for the football yesterday, well I was sat there wondering what the hell I was thinking travelling up north again. Even when we scored I struggled to get overly excited. The football is turgid. Anyone thinks that the football is better than the previous managers needs some serious help. 
He looks completely out of his depth. It’s such a shame. 
My hope is he learns on the job and quickly. No point sacking him as they will only get the next appointment wrong.

I hope you are happy JL and Tinnion. This is what you wanted after all. 

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, Jose said:

Every manager seems to fist pump these days. All very cringe. 

As for the football yesterday, well I was sat there wondering what the hell I was thinking travelling up north again. Even when we scored I struggled to get overly excited. The football is turgid. Anyone thinks that the football is better than the previous managers needs some serious help. 
He looks completely out of his depth. It’s such a shame. 
My hope is he learns on the job and quickly. No point sacking him as they will only get the next appointment wrong.

I hope you are happy JL and Tinnion. This is what you wanted after all. 

I’ve never ever been able to shake the feeling that the powers that be want our promotion to the PL to be perfect and pure, in the sense that it’s everyone’s ’first time’. 

I’ve absolutely no evidence on that, but shrugging off the likes of Hughton & Pearson who’ve had greater success than our current position for much more inexperienced ‘up and comers’ (even Cotts to LJ) to me has always had an air of purity around it, in that we want everyone to celebrate it for the first time together. Not explaining that well but hopefully makes a smidge of sense. 

I remember being at Leicester and seeing the incredible reception for Pearson, King & James and having a nagging feeling at the time that Tinnion, JL et al must’ve been looking on ******* hating it. “well why haven’t they done that for us??”

Edited by petehinton
  • Like 8

17 minutes ago, winsaw said:

Watched the interview this morning and looks very much like he knows it's not working and is trying to distance himself from the problems at the club trying to protect his reputation as a bright young coach so he can get that next job, 

He knows it's going badly and if it keeps heading the way it is he knows he's never going to get a chance at a club our side again so he's trying to set a narrative that he's being let down by players he didn't bring in so that when he dose get the sack he can say he did all he could but everything at the club was against him,

That really was an interview of a man who's just thinking about his next job and trying to make sure it's a good one, 

This reminds me of something. 

When he left MK. He blamed it him not being involved in the recruitment process of all the new players they signed that summer. Bit of research showed that to be BS as he signed players that he had previous connections too. 

I think when he first joined here that was brought up somewhere and I think it was Tinnion that said he had been over this with Manning and that Manning had explained how he wasn't involved. 

Different thing but the same sort of theme of protecting his image. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, petehinton said:

I’ve never ever been able to shake the feeling that the powers that be want our promotion to the PL to be perfect and pure, in the sense that it’s everyone’s ’first time’. 

It was oft said that LJ preferred working with younger players as they were more malleable & less likely to question him. I think you can apply that to the next level too, the "board" prefer someone grateful for the opportunity at this level who is less likely to rock the boat.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, petehinton said:

I’ve absolutely no evidence on that, but shrugging off the likes of Hughton & Pearson who’ve had greater success than our current position for much more inexperienced ‘up and comers’ (even Cotts to LJ) to me has always had an air of purity around it, in that we want everyone to celebrate it for the first time together. Not explaining that well but hopefully makes a smidge of sense. 

I remember being at Leicester and seeing the incredible reception for Pearson, King & James and having a nagging feeling at the time that Tinnion, JL et al must’ve been looking on ******* hating it. “well why haven’t they done that for us??”

The behaviour of the Lansdowns and their historical appointments suggest you might not be wrong.

I also get the sense they really, really want to ‘prove people wrong’ who have criticised them. “See you in the premier league” Tinnion is an extremely telling quote.

• Like 4