IGNORED

Stan Bowles

pillred

It's with a heavy heart I have to announce one of footballs great showmen and entertainers from the 1970s Stan Bowles has died aged 75 from Alzheimer's, for those too young to remember him he was a true entertainer a cocky flamboyant player who sometimes did things that made it worth the admission price alone. RIP Stan. Stan Bowles: Former England and QPR forward dies aged 75 - BBC Sport

Edited by pillred
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

The natural successor to Rodney Marsh, on both the pitch and QPR shirt and in the betting shop. Like Marsh, Best and and a scant few others of the era he was a reason for watching football being worth the admission price on his own. A real Entertainer sadly missed. RIP Stan and condolences to all family and friends. 

• Like 2

Great player in a time of every team having a 'Maverick' . 
A QPR mate gives him credit as the main reason he supports QPR after being taken to Arsenal by his uncle , Bowles stood out that much . 

RIP.

Screenshot2024-02-25at08_11_32.png.cfb0fe82da571f384a50ca96127253e2.png

2 Legends side by side.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

The natural successor to Rodney Marsh, on both the pitch and QPR shirt and in the betting shop. Like Marsh, Best and and a scant few others of the era he was a reason for watching football being worth the admission price on his own. A real Entertainer sadly missed. RIP Stan and condolences to all family and friends. 

I remember going to Loftus Rd in the early 70s and watching us lose 3-0, it was a masterclass by Marsh who gave Geoff Merrick a torrid time, he was just impossible to stop. One of the few times I've seen us lose but came away having enjoyed the match.

2 hours ago, trickydickiecardigan said:

Sad news ! Remember when he was left in car park behind grandstand for ages with a broken leg while waiting for an ambulance! 

.....on a stretcher, and people leaving the ground were asking for his autograph!!!

🥺

Remember going up to see City at QPR in the 1970s. QPR got a penalty which Stan Bowles missed, but he then scored from the resultant corner. If I remember correctly we ended up losing three nil and I also got my scarf nicked by a group of QPR fans after leaving the ground. At least I got to see Stan Bowles play but didn’t appreciate it much at the time!

2 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

A night game, were 3 or 4 nil down to Carlisle, Gordon Parr comes on as sub, blindsides the ref and belts Stan saying "no one takes the piss out of Bristol City!"  class  RIP SB .

Class act was Gordon Parr! Remember Oxford away? Crowd behind goal giving him a lot of stick so he stood there giving the v sign with both hands and shouting **** off **** off ! believe he got sent off later in game!

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, pillred said:

It's with a heavy heart I have to announce one of footballs great showmen and entertainers from the 1970s Stan Bowles has died aged 75 from Alzheimer's, for those too young to remember him he was a true entertainer a cocky flamboyant player who sometimes did things that made it worth the admission price alone. RIP Stan. Stan Bowles: Former England and QPR forward dies aged 75 - BBC Sport

Exactly why he was used as the face of QPR in the TV adverts o

• Like 1

My ex-flatmate is a QPR fan and I used to occasionally go to Loftus Road with him when his friend couldn't make it and I had a free Saturday and couldn't get to the City game.

A few years ago - I'm guessing shortly before Bowles' diagnosis but perhaps it was a little afterwards - we bumped into Stan Bowles outside the grounds and I took a photo of him with my friend. Bearing in mind Bowles finished playing for QPR the year before my friend was born, the level of excitement he had upon meeting him was incredible. A true legend in the eyes of QPR fans and someone who really made time for fans even then - I'm sure my friend would have been one of several people who asked for a photo that day. 

Edited by LondonBristolian

Loved him in my younger years. I think he was about the same era as Frank Worthington. They made football enjoyable and exciting to watch - it chimes a little bit with the thread on here last week about JET.

We were at QPR a couple of years ago when they had an event, I guess a bit like the one we had for the 1974 team when we played QPR last week. Stan Bowles was one of the players who came out onto the pitch that day - despite obvious difficulties even then - and he got a really fantastic reception, including from the City fans.

Stanley Bowles. Once asked a ref, ‘What would you do if I called you a ****?’ Ref: ’Obviously, I’d send you off.’ Stan: ‘What would you do if I thought you were a ****?’ Ref: ‘I wouldn’t be able to do anything about that.’ Stan: ‘Well.. I think you’re a ****’.

that game when he broke his leg sticks in my mind, it wasn't a tackle, I think his studs caught in the turf but we all in the EastEnd went quiet - no one wanted to see Stan stretchered off, in fact we wanted to see him play - and you can't say that about many opposition players

32 minutes ago, Redderland said:

that game when he broke his leg sticks in my mind, it wasn't a tackle, I think his studs caught in the turf but we all in the EastEnd went quiet - no one wanted to see Stan stretchered off, in fact we wanted to see him play - and you can't say that about many opposition players

We had a run of three opposition broken legs in pretty much consecutive home games - Stan, Pat Holland of West Ham and Stuart Houston of Man Utd.

Edited by Lanterne Rouge

1 hour ago, Redderland said:

I remember it very different. I was also in the East End that day and when Bowles went down in agony, the East End started singing 'We hope you broke your leg'.

I recall it vividly because earlier in the same match the East End were singing 'Where's your wife gone, where's your wife gone, where's your wife gone Stanley Bowles?' After it had been reported in the week his wife had walked out on him.

They sang this again as he went towards the East End for a QPR corner and Bowles put his hands out and shrugged his shoulders to comically reply that he hadn't a clue. It produced loads of laughter and an even healthier respect for Bowles. Which is why it hit me as particularly mean and stuck vividly in my memory when much later in the game the East End started singing that they hoped he had broken his leg! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Redderland said:

I remember the game well. The EE were baiting him with Stanley where’s ya wife Gone (it was all over the papers his wife had left him) At a corner he turned toward us and shrugged his shoulders. One of the funniest moments in a match I can remember

I remember him being stretchered off later. Poor bugger!

• Like 1