IGNORED

Match Report: After week to prepare City take Wednesday off

Olé

21 minutes ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

I like what you did there with “Lee Manning” !

Great report as ever.

I read it as “Lemming”

Lemmings senselessly follow a process and eventually often succumb to their death by doing so, walking off cliffs because they are supposed to do so even though it’s clearly the wrong thing.

I don’t know why, but it seems a pretty apt name for our head coach.

Edited by Silvio Dante
  • Haha 2

Great report as ever. I particularly liked the description of Mehmet.  It’s perfect:

“the diminutive Mehmeti who looked like he was a bloke crossing a local park trying to briefly impersonate a footballer yet also desperately trying to avoid coming into any contact with the ball.”

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, CityCiderEd said:

Think you were being over generous with a 3 for Mehmeti.......no threat,no pace, not a lover of physical contact.....so generally a waste of a shirt.

Great write up as ever @Olé, but I think you were quite generous with your marks like the poster quoted above. If 5 is Championship average, I assume, then my belief that there were quite a few below that standard today.

If I am totally honest, I'm not sure if you could find 11 players who played worse across the whole Championship today.

It's not acceptable that after a week of preparation they produce that. 

• Like 2

Nice summary as always @Olé.

Just some random thoughts from me.

A @BigTone style ‘condensed version’ might be “they wanted it more than we did”. That was my over-riding impression.

I don’t know why we started with an unfit Pring, given that Roberts has been decent recently. Physicality maybe - we certainly struggled with Wednesday’s.

I’m not sure Sykes was also unfit (as has been suggested elsewhere) - he took a very heavy knock from a nasty challenge (unpunished, as many were by the ref) and seemed to struggle after that. And, as when he picked up his last injury, LM seemed to struggle with how to replace him. Admittedly options are limited now - we will miss Bell I fear.

I thought Wednesdays first goal was a really good one, and more down to their good play than our bad. I think there was an element of good fortune with their second!

We seemed intent on playing everything wide second half, and I didn’t really understand why. We didn’t try to mix it up as we usually do. Not sure why.

Having said that, I felt TC got more and more ineffective (from a fairly low bar to start with) as the game went on. It’s not just about service; he gets that. It’s scraps, but that’s the case for most strikers at this level. He just lacks the physical presence or the guile - and I don’t know whether his confidence is just shot, or he’s thinking about where he’ll be next year, but to me there are starting to Diedhiou style signs of going through the motions just now.

It was poor, no denying. But on another day we’d have been playing against 10 for a lot longer and from a healthier starting position and we’d have had a penalty, although we’d probably have missed! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, italian dave said:

A @BigTone style ‘condensed version’ might be “they wanted it more than we did”. That was my over-riding impression.

That is the way they play, physical, intense, in your face.  I alluded to it all last week.  LM alluded to it in his press conference.

If that is what drove yesterday’s result, then LM has failed imho.

Couple of strange moments in the crowd. I wasn't watching the game from around the 75th to 80th minute as it was kicking off in the Wednesday singing section, several lads got thrown out. Also heard one of our 'fans' make a comment which while I didn't fully hear it was clearly something unacceptable as a lot of our fans turned and made their disgust clear.

26 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Nice summary as always @Olé.

Just some random thoughts from me.

I don’t know why we started with an unfit Pring, given that Roberts has been decent recently. Physicality maybe - we certainly struggled with Wednesday’s.

I’m not sure Sykes was also unfit (as has been suggested elsewhere) - he took a very heavy knock from a nasty challenge (unpunished, as many were by the ref) and seemed to struggle after that. And, as when he picked up his last injury, LM seemed to struggle with how to replace him. Admittedly options are limited now - we will miss Bell I fear.

I thought Wednesdays first goal was a really good one, and more down to their good play than our bad. I think there was an element of good fortune with their second!

We seemed intent on playing everything wide second half, and I didn’t really understand why. We didn’t try to mix it up as we usually do. Not sure why.

Having said that, I felt TC got more and more ineffective (from a fairly low bar to start with) as the game went on. It’s not just about service; he gets that. It’s scraps, but that’s the case for most strikers at this level. He just lacks the physical presence or the guile - and I don’t know whether his confidence is just shot, or he’s thinking about where he’ll be next year, but to me there are starting to Diedhiou style signs of going through the motions just now.

It was poor, no denying. But on another day we’d have been playing against 10 for a lot longer and from a healthier starting position and we’d have had a penalty, although we’d probably have missed! 

QPR and Wednesday both fighting relegation...they have everything to play for. Both their results are improving.

Meanwhile we bob about in mid table obscurity... hopefully enough points gained from NPs time here. 

In the back of their heads, some know they won't be here next year, others will know there is nothing riding on results now. 

12 minutes ago, spudski said:

QPR and Wednesday both fighting relegation...they have everything to play for. Both their results are improving.

Meanwhile we bob about in mid table obscurity... hopefully enough points gained from NPs time here. 

In the back of their heads, some know they won't be here next year, others will know there is nothing riding on results now. 

Yes, I think you’re right there. Although let’s not fall into a similar ‘everything Pearson good/everything Manning’ bad mindset either - we’ve still needed, and will still need, points post Pearson to stay up. 

20 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

That is the way they play, physical, intense, in your face.  I alluded to it all last week.  LM alluded to it in his press conference.

If that is what drove yesterday’s result, then LM has failed imho.

I’m not disagreeing with that Dave, but I think the ‘wanting it more’ is a slightly different issue.

Thats more about what @spudski refers too. We were in the same position last year, of course, and a number of those final games were painful.

I also wouldn’t argue with your last point. But that’s in relation to yesterday’s game: it’s not a reason for the ‘sack Manning’ overdrive that some seem to have gone into. 

5 minutes ago, italian dave said:

it’s not a reason for the ‘sack Manning’ overdrive that some seem to have gone into. 

I agree.  They are foreseeing this as a continued trend downwards.  I honestly don’t know what the trend will be.

7 minutes ago, italian dave said:

but I think the ‘wanting it more’ is a slightly different issue.

Over a decent period I’d got used to not having to say “they wanted it more” as a reason for defeat / shit performance.  I think Brum (a) was the last time, and that prompted action and whether these were the only two or not, or were even the ones at fault, it cost Bentley and Massengo their careers at City.

It had become a given.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, italian dave said:

I felt TC got more and more ineffective (from a fairly low bar to start with) as the game went on. It’s not just about service; he gets that. It’s scraps, but that’s the case for most strikers at this level. He just lacks the physical presence or the guile - and I don’t know whether his confidence is just shot, or he’s thinking about where he’ll be next year, but to me there are starting to Diedhiou style signs of going through the motions just now.

It’s funny you say this mate, it was totally lost in the hysteria of going 3-0 up against Southampton, but I’ve noticed the same for a few weeks so was purposely watching his movement and contribution in that game and by half time largely thought he was awful and with a terrible attitude - it was a storyline that was totally forgotten after our second half.

There’d a fantastic striker there and I really want him to still be a success with us under a new contract but he is just going through the motions, probably with something else already lined up in the summer. He’s never been the biggest or strongest but he isn’t going into 50-50s any longer with anything other than to keep himself safe or feign a foul.

I’ve also noticed (Southampton first half again a case in point) he is probably the most half hearted in the press, or at least isn’t quite so quick into the block while at the same time pointing and gesticulating at teammates to close the lanes around him and make his task a bit easier, when in fact they’ve largely been doing a far better job of that.

He is a fantastic player so this is all behaviour driven - i.e. either checked out or low on morale and in either case going through the motions. Let’s not forget that as well as the terrible service you’ve called out, he also thrived much more on NPs counter oriented game, it’s no coincidence both goals against West Ham were on transition given space. 

Manning and Tecknical Tinnion may already have decided he is not part of the future and certainly not the style.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Olé said:

Manning and Tecknical Tinnion may already have decided he is not part of the future and certainly not the style.

I don’t believe that is the case, but…

…I just look back to what was being said about Nahki Wells a while back.

For me he’s cutting a frustrated player on the pitch, because of lack of service.

Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 1

I’m not disagreeing with that Dave, but I think the ‘wanting it more’ is a slightly different issue.

Thats more about what @spudski refers too. We were in the same position last year, of course, and a number of those final games were painful.

I also wouldn’t argue with your last point. But that’s in relation to yesterday’s game: it’s not a reason for the ‘sack Manning’ overdrive that some seem to have gone into. 

6 points from our last nine, giving Burnley one of their toughest games of the season. If that's painful, could we have a bit more please.

• Like 1

For a time between say Man City Cup game ie after that and Reading at home, there were elements.

Overall no though, and especially not post Reading at Home. We rallied quite well..

..Not many expected much from the double header over Easter vs an upwardly trending Stoke and a Middlesbrough still in the face for the top 2 with Akpom, Archer etc.

We got 4 points, should've been 6. However t be really late on at Stoke and the overall performance v Middlesbrough were more than acceptable. 4 points was probably about right

.Should have got more at Watford, one extremely out of character error by Scott probably cost us a point and maybe more but a point minimum v Burnley.

The odd game but not overall for me..and certainly not Cardiff Away aside vs sides in the bottom 6 or 8.

4 hours ago, italian dave said:

Yes, I think you’re right there. Although let’s not fall into a similar ‘everything Pearson good/everything Manning’ bad mindset either - we’ve still needed, and will still need, points post Pearson to stay up. 

I agree Dave, however for me the Club are going backwards in many ways.

No definitive CEO.

A Technical Director that is learning on the job, where his strengths are obviously running the Academy. 

A new Coach that has no real experience, definitely not at this level and has achieved nothing.

And experienced older players who have won the Prem leaving.

We are left with literally no experience and knowledge at a higher level and no experience on how to achieve it. 

I don't trust JL, BT or LM to take us forward...imo, we have every reason to get worse. 

• Like 1
  • Flames 1